Comparative Debate on AAS Configuration Options

What is your preferred AAS configuration?

• Standard AAS - Secondary Donate

Votes: 30 21.9%
  • Long Hose AAS - Primary Donate

Votes: 75 54.7%
  • AIRII AAS - Primary Donate

Votes: 30 21.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 40' hose has the advantage of allowing you to surface from shallow dives without bringing your tank. The disadvantage, of course--and I believe this is why the DIR guys don't use it--is that you have to wrap it around your body nine or ten times, typically. This can become a little unwieldy, but I expect to see more divers opt for the 40' hose with the advent of lighter braided (Miflex, etc.) hoses.

As my son would say...freakin epic! :rofl3:

The 40' hose has the advantage of allowing you to surface from shallow dives without bringing your tank. The disadvantage, of course--and I believe this is why the DIR guys don't use it--is that you have to wrap it around your body nine or ten times, typically. This can become a little unwieldy, but I expect to see more divers opt for the 40' hose with the advent of lighter braided (Miflex, etc.) hoses.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I was never good at estimating.

As far as slinging on the right, the only issue I have seen in a rec setting is trapping or impeding donation of the backgas reg. That has to be thought out beforehand.

Ah...now I see the problem. Thanks. I have practiced with this setup and have not had a problem (probably because of the 40 foot hose :wink: ) but I can see your point.

In my simple mind, the best setup is the one you actually practice with.

I find the long hose easier to drill with during the course of a normal dive, so I prefer it over the other options.

I haven't honestly decided, yet. I can see the strong possibility of going to long hose configuration, since I like the neck bungee octo. That said, I'm relatively satisfied with a standard hose length and keeping the neck-bungee octo. I'd still donate my primary. Once I get a better breathing octo I'll feel a lot better about that but for now I'm comfortable with the idea that if someone needs my AAS, they're probably more freaked out than I am and they should have the better breathing 2nd as their source.

I don't do any overhead stuff, though so I don't NEED a long hose. I haven't tried it for comfort, though, which is really the only reason I'm likely to switch as overhead isn't in my plans at this point.

EDIT: Holy crap I somehow completely missed the point of this thread. I don't know about the pros and cons of an air 2 other than minimization of hoses, which I don't really see as pro or con. I've breathed off one and wasn't too impressed with the "comfort" of breathing from it, though so I'd say no. (That said, I have a less than optimum breather as my spare right now.)

Long hose primary donation makes obvious sense to me. It gives plenty of length for donation and you're donating a "known good" 2nd to the person who is OOA. I see the argument that "you're giving away your air" if you remove your reg but I think that's a strange argument since I see people removing their regs underwater all the time for pictures, to blow air rings and all kinds of other reasons. I don't really see any cons to the long hose other than cost of the long hose and general lack of familiarity with the configuration for typical rec divers.

"standard" is the standard, right? The biggest con I see in this is the lack of comfort/mobility in donating a short hose AAS. Other than that what's the drawback?

I use a long hose set up on most every OW dive and switch between it and a standard set up in the pool. The gear I used for pool classes did not have AIR II type devices on any of it and even though I do cover it unless someone buys one none are used.

If a student wanted one (first of all I would not recommmend it but if they insisted on getting one) I'd require them to do a pool session with me and extra practice in OW with it before I'd certify them as a diver. If they got one after the class and wanted instruction I'd gladly do it. But if a shop tries to talk anyone into any configuration I believe they have at the minimum a moral obligation to provide training in it's use at no or minimal cost. To sell someone a BC with an AIR II that has never used one and not train them in it's use is irresponsible.

There are some downs sides to a longhose primary. If you want to wear a snorkel on the side of your mask (hey, some people do) a longhose won't work (well). Some divers clip off camera/video equipment to their chest D rings which could impede deployment and if you are a working diver of some sort you may not want all that hose to manage. All those negatives, like most other negatives, can be managed but they are still there.
A lot of people also take their regs out for pictures and such but they usually have to prepare for that action (physically and psychologically). Primary donation can happen quickly sometimes and the donor needs to be comfortable with immediately removing the reg (not always as easy as it sounds).

Oh and the purpose of this thread is to compare and contrast all alternate air donation configurations, not just AIR2. There's a whole other thread for that :cool2:

The only configuration mentioned which I have not used is the long hose air ii and frankly cant understand the point of that one:idk:.

I dive with the standard configuration, normal length aas hose and primary.

Back
Top Bottom