Completed AOW this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with that. I try to tell people that it is their responsibility to select an instructor that will meet their objective for learning. Some ppl just want the AOW so they can go on certain charters. In that case the bare minimum is probably what that diver wants. For those that need and want training there are plenty of instructors that will require true deep water dives.

I wanted to better myself as a diver so I chose to get my Master from an instructor that knew my level of experience and made sure the courses where tailored to that.

Or,

"ahead or far or further along in progress, complexity, knowledge, skill, etc."

Or,

"being beyond the elementary or introductory"

Glad you found a second, albeit probably less accepted definition of advanced, however there is, IMHO nothing advanced about the average AOW course in the CONUS. I'm certain there are instructors who go above and beyond the requirements, but I would consider the PADI requirements for completion of this course quite elementary. IE the 60' deep dive.

Glad you found a second, albeit probably less accepted definition of advanced, however there is, IMHO nothing advanced about the average AOW course in the CONUS. I'm certain there are instructors who go above and beyond the requirements, but I would consider the PADI requirements for completion of this course quite elementary. IE the 60' deep dive.

When you read something that uses a word with multiple definitions, you have to use the definition that is intended by the writer. It is logically incorrect to apply a different definition to the word and then criticize the user because the content of the message does not match the definition you chose to use. PADI clearly does what it can to make sure people know that the course is intended to be a next step sort of thing (such as Hawkwood described) and not something that designates a highly skilled and experienced diver.

The problem comes from the history and the unfortunate choice to use the term in the first place, a term they used in following another dive agency that used the same name. They are now trapped to a large extent with the term because of the need to have some level of consistency. They have for a very long time--well before I was certified--tried to mitigate that confusion by using the term Adventures in Diving to describe the course, although they have chosen to retain the name for the certification. I took the course very soon after I was initially certified, and the instructor made its purpose and meaning very clear to me.

They are pretty much OK with anything past 65'. Obviously there are sometimes circumstances and water conditions that would make doing a deep dive impossible or unnecessarily dangerous. And in some areas in the south all we've got is quarries and dirty, freezing Arkansas lakes. And we can't always just make a run to the ocean and do it there.

I look at this thread and wonder about the psychology of some of the posts. The OP started a thread with great joy and excitement to say he had a great experience in a class and learned a lot. What more needs to be said except congratulations?

Instead, we have people repeating stale and tired (decades old) criticisms of the theory of the class itself. They tell him the class he felt so good about and learned so much in sucked, even though they were not there and didn't see it. He may have had the greatest instructional experience in the history of scuba, but these people cannot refrain from saying how bad it must have been because they know so much better.

It makes me sad.

I believe that the majority of comments, including my own, boulderjohn- were well intentioned comments that meant to tell the OP that he was only in a very small step in diving education, and to get worked up over it may not have been the best choice.

We just didn't say it in so many words :wink:

Wow!

First off, thanks to everyone who responded, both positive and negative. Anything that spurs my thought process is beneficial.

I'll try to expand on some of the comments and concerns:

Just an FYI, this wasn’t a PADI course, it is IDEA.

I had 11 dives going into the weekend, including my OW cert dives, but this was my first boat dive. My AOW instructor was my OW instructor, and had been with me on all my dives in between as well, so he was fully aware of my experience and ability. I agree that more dives in between would have been preferable, but in the end, I would not have done a boat dive without an instructor, so this was the best way in my mind to get to the next level. Curiously enough, I thought the deep dive was going to be the most difficult and most concerning. As it turned out, I was more comfortable and less nervous at depth, which was 71’. Go figure. All that said, in no way do I feel that I am an “advanced” diver with the limited number and types of dives that I’ve done. However, the AOW card will let me “advance” my abilities.

As for more diving/training, I’m already planning on shadowing the next AOW class in July. I figure I’ll get some nuances as an observer I may have missed as a student. I’m also signed up for Dive Medic (I’m an EMT as well as a wilderness and tactical medic instructor). I will likely do rescue and wreck in the future as well.

As far as the conditions, I live in New England. Unless I choose to only dive lakes or on vacation, I need to be able to dive in these conditions.

Wow!

First off, thanks to everyone who responded, both positive and negative. Anything that spurs my thought process is beneficial.

I'll try to expand on some of the comments and concerns:

Just an FYI, this wasn’t a PADI course, it is IDEA.

I had 11 dives going into the weekend, including my OW cert dives, but this was my first boat dive. My AOW instructor was my OW instructor, and had been with me on all my dives in between as well, so he was fully aware of my experience and ability. I agree that more dives in between would have been preferable, but in the end, I would not have done a boat dive without an instructor, so this was the best way in my mind to get to the next level. Curiously enough, I thought the deep dive was going to be the most difficult and most concerning. As it turned out, I was more comfortable and less nervous at depth, which was 71’. Go figure. All that said, in no way do I feel that I am an “advanced” diver with the limited number and types of dives that I’ve done. However, the AOW card will let me “advance” my abilities.

As for more diving/training, I’m already planning on shadowing the next AOW class in July. I figure I’ll get some nuances as an observer I may have missed as a student. I’m also signed up for Dive Medic (I’m an EMT as well as a wilderness and tactical medic instructor). I will likely do rescue and wreck in the future as well.

As far as the conditions, I live in New England. Unless I choose to only dive lakes or on vacation, I need to be able to dive in these conditions.

Sounds like you have a great attitude and a great plan! Good luck!

I took my AOW after diving for some time, mainly due to issues with my prior marriage. However, I found it an extremely valuable class and wished I'd taken it much sooner. My three dives were deep, night and navigation. Also, my instructor required the entire book to be read and all questions at the end of the chapters to be filled out.
I found the navigation most helpful. I think my navigation skills hadn't solidified on OW and then I hadn't practiced them afterwards.
I also did Nitrox class at the same time and that was an excellent class, too.
Maybe it's all about who the teacher is and what you're attitude is about the training? Personally, I hate PADI educational materials and can hardly stand to read their books but have found that my AOW, Nitrox and rescue class were all worthwhile courses.

AOW is so minimal after basic, that IMHO it is just another money maker for PADI et al. I find it amusing that they call it "advanced"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom