Compressor in Garage & Car Emissions Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who keeps a car in their garage? Mine is too full of scuba and boating stuff.

Carbon monoxide is very deadly and should not be any where near your breathing air system. There are some very good suggestions here and I highly reccomend making sure the intake is vented to clean, dry air. I always highly reccomend an electric compressor over a gas model if there is a choice. Carefully watch wind direction if you do have a gas compressor and have the intake up wind to fresh air.
I will say one thing about Fire department air. From my experience they test their air and change the filters, oil etc much more regularly than any dive shop. Grade E Breathing air, PADI5*air, NFPA1500 Grade E and D air are all the same requirements 10PPM or less. Some one also said that just because it passed a test on Monday does not mean it will pass on Friday and he may be right. A car in a garage can incapacitate and kill someone in a matter of minutes. Do not get that kind of poison anywhere near your life support system! Do not expect any purifier or hopcalite to eliminate that kind of poison. No matter what kind of compressor or filtration you have if you put bad air in it soon you will get bad air out.
A carbon Monoxide monitor is a good investment for anyone and all air should be tested regularly. Use common sense. Be careful out there and do not take any chances.

Common sense here is the key. Producing good air from a compressor is not rocket science and does not require high dollar testing and monitoring equiptment. Do the regular maintenance on the compressor and filter, be aware of conditions at the compressor intake and don't walk off and come back 30 minutes later to check on it. I have been filling my tanks for 40+ years with a gas powered compressor with no problems. I like the portability of gas power. I monitor the wind direction and never leave it unattented. Your nose is is the best protection from sucking up something bad.

Realdiver: after the last tank is filled plug the HP ports on your compressor. Close the final filter outlet and drain. Close the fill cock. If atmospheric air penetrates the filter media, the dessicant, and possibly other chemicals, will zero out in a couple days. I've done the tests to confirm.

captain:
Common sense here is the key. Producing good air from a compressor is not rocket science and does not require high dollar testing and monitoring equiptment. Do the regular maintenance on the compressor and filter, be aware of conditions at the compressor intake and don't walk off and come back 30 minutes later to check on it. I have been filling my tanks for 40+ years with a gas powered compressor with no problems. I like the portability of gas power. I monitor the wind direction and never leave it unattented. Your nose is is the best protection from sucking up something bad.
But how do you know you have enough filter capacity? On the portable S-W 3.5 cfm system I am building, I have a condensate tank, then the air goes to a Cornelius filter that's about 2 1/2" interior diameter and 16" tall. I intend to pack it with carbon granules and activated alumina. Is that enough media to filter the air if I change it fairly often, or do I NEED to cascade it to another Cornelius filled with hopcalyte?

pescador775:
Realdiver: after the last tank is filled plug the HP ports on your compressor. Close the final filter outlet and drain. Close the fill cock. If atmospheric air penetrates the filter media, the dessicant, and possibly other chemicals, will zero out in a couple days. I've done the tests to confirm.

This sounds like a conservative approach involving more preventative steps, which is good. I have wondered what happens if the atmospheric air penetrates the filter media.

Thanks!

captndale:
Who keeps a car in their garage? Mine is too full of scuba and boating stuff.

I keep one car and one SUV in my garage. Most scuba gear stays indoors to prolong the life of parts, etc.

The LDS as an outdoor air intake. Just above the propane tanks, dumpster and drying bait boxes.:11: Sure makes you appreciate those filters.

Pete

LakeTravis55:
But how do you know you have enough filter capacity? On the portable S-W 3.5 cfm system I am building, I have a condensate tank, then the air goes to a Cornelius filter that's about 2 1/2" interior diameter and 16" tall. I intend to pack it with carbon granules and activated alumina. Is that enough media to filter the air if I change it fairly often, or do I NEED to cascade it to another Cornelius filled with hopcalyte?

Your filter size is comparable to mine but I use carbon and 13X seive. I keep the filter outlet closed and the compressor inlet plugged when not in use and change media about twice a year. I have done it this way for years without any problems.

Activated alumina and silica gel were in use 40 years ago but aren't seen much anymore although some specialty filters for shop compressors which supply air for plasma torches use the gel even today. Linde (vaporshell) 13X is the right stuff. Activated alumina can be used and will do a fair job but the user must determine how it was stored. If it is surplus material it was probably stored in drums or paint cans. The paint can was a typical container provided to the retail market. However, after 10 or 20 years in a can of this type the dessicant may be dead. Just for grins, spread the stuff on a big pan and bake in the oven at 500F for several hours. Presto, new dessicant.

Back
Top Bottom