Concern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erico

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I was wanting to get away for a weeks diving and have been offered a liveaboard on the Suzanna 1 going out this friday to the Brothers Deadelus & Elphinstone . I done my first diving at christmas out in Zanzibar and then finished my open water in Barbados. I recently spent 2 weeks drift diving in Tobago.
To date I have only 30 dives but the trip says that 50 dives + required. The agent says it will be fine...?
I am quite at ease at 25m + have also completed my advanced in Tobago but don't want to be out of my depth " with the big boys"

any suggestions to put my mind at rest ..I would love to go as they say it is one of the best trips...
Quick responces please as I have to book by monday..

Thanks

Some sites in the Red Sea are notorius for their currents. The sea itself can be quite rough, therefore some experience is required. I haven't been to the places you mentioned, so I really don't know what conditions you have experienced.
I don't know what I would have decided instead of you...the urge to be in such a beautiful place vs. lack of experience that may perhaps spoil a little or make your dives shorter..tough decision.

I don't want to spoil your upcoming vacations, but honestly I would worry a bit with such small experience.

It's not just the number of dives, it's the short period you took to get your dives which bothers me some.

Try and get in touch with the diving operator before naking any decisions.

What port is the boat to leave from?

If it's Sharm el Sheikh or Hurghada, or Safaga, you'll certainly find very good diving with daytrips from there, and I'm sure you'll find another occasion to go to the Brothers.

The diving in tobago to me was a lot different than Barbados ...On my first dive there it was to 26 m and strong drift currents..compared to what I thought was normal to go down and up like in a swimming pool.
I had nearly 3 weeks doing 2 dives every day. At the end of my trip I was finding the currents no probs.. The only thing is that I have nothing to compare them with..ie they are stonger in Tobago or Brothers. The max swell I dove in was about 6-8 ft.
which again was a bit daunting to start with compared to the my other dives.
I did a dry suit course in Ireland and had a dive in it but had no vis at all..was not put off but just wanted to get more..thats why this week was called for..

I take your point about the no of dives in a short period ..but is it not better to have more dives over a shorter period than 10 dives a year and saying I have been diving for 3 years. ?

I am just trying to convince myself...thanks for your responses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom