Confused on what gear to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I'm confused but if you already have a computer you like, why look for a new one? Is there something wrong with the one you already have?

No i didnt receive the computer. I bought it online and they sent me a email say the can't sell it to me because it has been discontinued. So now I am looking for a new one to purchase.

No i didnt receive the computer. I bought it online and they sent me a email say the can't sell it to me because it has been discontinued. So now I am looking for a new one to purchase.

If you are starting from scratch for the computer part also, I'd take a look at the Suunto dive computer product line and the Atomic new dive computer (price is high on this one).

Today i bought a Suunto ZOOP diver computer. I was going to buy the Oceanic Excursion or Oceanic Islander BC. The are both 320.00 on my base. The fit pretty well and I just want opinions or suggestions on the BC.

I agree with the comment not to buy entry level equipment. I have recently started diving and look at it as, its my butt on the line down there. I bought all my stuff, BC, regs, wetsuit, etc at my local dive shop. By doing that I have free lifetime service on my Mares Abyss reg, and a contact point if I have a problem with my gear. Buying online you do not have that personal contact and will be waiting for service. The only things I buy online are the accessories such as straps, cleaners, clips, etc.

Today i bought a Suunto ZOOP diver computer. I was going to buy the Oceanic Excursion or Oceanic Islander BC. The are both 320.00 on my base. The fit pretty well and I just want opinions or suggestions on the BC.

I own the Oceanic Excursion and love it. You can it get from Amazon, the seller is leisurepro for $315 shipped. At least that's what I paid for it. It's an awesome BCD. The only downside is it only has one fold down pocket, which isn't of much use. However, there are plenty of D rings to clip things to, so I don't find I need a pocket.

I looked at the scubapro seahawk and it was double the price. Oceanic makes awesome gear and the excursion retails in most stores for $600, so $315 is a steal. It has plenty of lift and being back inflate you barely notice it's there. Plus, no squeeze like a typical jacket style.

Edit: I just saw where you can get it for $320 on base; that's a great price.

@Antagonist: The Zoop is essentially the same as the Gekko. It's very easy to use. I think you'll like it.

You stated that the Excursion and Islander BCDs "fit pretty well." Keep in mind that topside fit is distinct from how the BCD performs underwater. Wearing a cushy BCD around the shop without a tank and reg attached to it is of limited usefulness. See if you can actually dive the candidate BCDs before you buy one. Manufacturers will include multiple dump valves (perhaps too many, some might argue), crotchstraps, trim weight pockets, different attachment points (D-rings, retractors), usable/unusable pockets, 1 or 2 cambands, various inflation/deflation gadgetry, and corrugated hoses that might be longer than necessary. Some BCDs do an embarrassingly poor job of stably anchoring the tank to the diver. Some BCDs make it difficult to exhaust gas inside the bladder. Many, if not all, of these issues are revealed on a demo dive.

The Scubapro Classic is user preference specific.

It has no shoulder straps, there is no adjustment.

This makes it awkward to don and doff with buoyancy
characteristics different from any other BCD.

A rear air cell BCD has excellent buoyancy characteristics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom