Conshelf fans welcomed

Discussion in 'Regulators' started by Calvinator, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Calvinator

Calvinator Nassau Grouper

How many models of Conshelves are out there? I've only heard of Conshelf XIV and Conshelf 22. Are there other Conshelf models out there?

2. AevnsGrandpa

AevnsGrandpa Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I have 2 Conshelf SE2's. One is my primary and the other is my octo.

Jeff

3. rescuediver009

rescuediver009 Humbolt Squid

I know that there are alot fo them in circulation around here. If they weren't an arm and a leg to service they would be great regs. (they still are though). If they have the env. kit on them though they can skip some years for service of the first stage.

4. glbirch

glbirch Manta Ray

I'm still using a Conshelf XIV(?), built in 1974. Great reg, breathes well, hasn't failed me yet. Rescudiver009 is right about the first stage. I take it in every year for servicing but most times nothing needs to be done with it.

5. Queen

Queen Guest

I kick myself for getting rid of my conshelf XIV, best reg I ever had.

6. buds

buds Angel Fish

I have owned an SE2 for a looooong time ,, recently bought a Legend Lx Supreme... But i still feel guilty using my SE2 as an Octo...(Think im going through some kind of withdrawl. )I get it serviced once every year ,, i dont care what it costs..Wonderful work horse no nonsense regulator

7. garyfotodiver

garyfotodiver Humbolt Squid

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I have used a US Divers SE3 regulator for several years. The first stage is almost identical to that of my Conshelf XII. The SE3 costs about $75 to service, which includes the octo and guages. There is no reason for me to switch regulators.

After a rebuild, I plan to use the XII in cold water.

8. Calvinator

Are there any photos on the web for the abovesaid models? Just being very curious of how the look and perform like. Is the Lengend LX performing better than the Conshelf or the pther way round?

9. DA Aquamaster

DA Aquamaster Directional Toast ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    I routinely see Conshelf XII's and XIV's in addition to the newer variants come through the shop for service. Essentially the major difference bewteen models is the port arrangements with some differences in the number of Lp ports and hose sizes. Internally they are essentially identical and take the same annual service kit.

10. Calvinator

Is there a Conshelf out there with 2 high pressure ports on the first stage?

11. jamiep3

jamiep3 Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    The Conshelf XIV is still listed on the Aqualung website. There is a picture of it also.

I've got 2.

12. Sub diver

Sub diver Guest

I have a conshelf 21 and a XIV, both great. Bullet proof and they get bashed around alot but always work. They have to be one of the most reliable regs made, and they tend to breath very well also.

13. DiveTyme

DiveTyme Scuba Instructor

My XIV has been in service since '83. It still gets about 40- 50 dives a year and has never failed.
    Tim

14. Calvinator

Any Conshelves with 2 high pressure ports on the first stage??

15. rescuediver009

Not to my knowledge, 3 or four LP ports depending on the version and 1 HP. OLD SCHOOL:)

16. Calvinator

Is it technicallay possible (or safe) to combine a Conshelf XIV's 2nd stage to a Legend's 1st stage? (Cause I'm sure that Legend's 1st stage has 2 HP ports.) And can we get this custom made combination anywhere?

17. Hallmac

Hallmac Scuba Instructor

Yes you may combine the two. Just order the first stage and add it to your 2nd. I would recommend dropping the factory IP just a touch though. You could also use the SEA 1 stage if you are just looking for two HP ports.

Hallmac

18. Calvinator

2 questions:

1) Why wanna lower down the factory default IP settings? What's the purpose? I've always thought that factory's settings are ideal for most cases, if not all.
    2) What's the SEA? What does it mean? Sorry, I'm new here, hence I don't quite get some abbreviations. Sorry.

Regards,
    Calvin

19. rescuediver009

The factory HP is ideal... for most modern regs. The older ones used to run a little lower.
    I think that the SEA was suggested because as I recall the Legend is an over balanced first stage and the Conshelf second stage is not balanced to accept and benfeit from the increase in intermediate pressure as you descend. Just like the Apeks. The SEA is a similar to conshelf first stage just with 2 HP ports. Another consideration is the Cousteau first stage as it is still on the Aqualung website, shown with the Glacia second stage.
    http://www.aqualung.com/products/cousteau_glacia.html

20. Hallmac

Hallmac Scuba Instructor

True however unfortunately most shops are not equipped to measure spring tension on the low pressure poppet. As it ages it loses closing pressure. With an over balanced 1st, as you descend it slightly increases the IP to assist your breathing under pressure. If the second stage had been set to breath as light as possible without free flow and the IP increases an older spring may not have the closing pressure to over come the incoming air and start free flowing. By lowering the IP slightly the spring has a little better chance of handling the demand and stopping flow when necessary. ( yes replacing the spring could also assist to a point) The new Legends have a balanced 2nd stage to handle this issue.

It is a series name that was used with the Micra, Impulse, and some of the conshelf 2nds. It is chrome and has the same appearance as the new Legend 1st stage without the angled ports. It is a balanced diaphragm with two Hp ports opposite of each other and 4 Lp ports. 2 on each side.

Hallmac