Conshelf fans welcomed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that's the case, any particular reg bag of choice?
I have a carry on travel bag that gets computers, regulators sets and masks and dive lights plus go-pro stuff, All wrapped in t-shirts and underwear.. probably not what you wanted to hear

Jim...

I have the opportunity to buy a neutrally buoyant Catalina Al80 at a reasonable price. The issue is that the tank has a service pressure of 3300 psi.

I have a Conshelf 22 1st stage that I purchased in 1996 that has 3000 psi stamped on the yoke. I also have a Conshelf XIV of unknown vintage with a 3/8" HP port also with a 3000 PSI stamp. The yokes look identical. I know of older XIVs that were stamped with 4000 psi service pressures. I also came across a Aqualung military bulletin that stated that pre-2005 Conshelf XIV models with 3000 psi stamps were rated up to 3364 PSI. Does anyone have experience using Conshelfs at 3300 psi tank pressures? If so, did they hold up? It seems that the conshelfs were always capable of >3000 psi. Maybe they were stamped 3000 psi for CGA reasons.

Also, are there any o-ring materials for the tank valve/yoke interface that are better than others for higher pressure applications. I read some threads that mentioned a white or urethane o-ring had better anti-extrusion properties.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Here is the text from the Aqualung bulletin ( http://www.aqualung.com/militaryandprofessional/product_information/Con_XIV_Yoke_10_001_LoRes.pdf )

SITUATION: It has come to Aqua Lung’s attention that there is some question about the Conshelf Regulator Yoke pressure rating. Pre-2005 versions - The High-pressure yoke utilized on the Conshelf 14 regulator and cylinder pressure gauges have been historically stamped 3000 PSI due to use with commonly manufactured/rated cylinders. This Technical Bulletin is to clarify that Conshelf 14 units and Cylinder Pressure Gauges stamped 3000 PSI may be used with 3300 PSI cylinders. New production Conshelf 14 units will be manufactured with stamping changed to “232 BAR”. As always, local command directives take precedence over manufacturers recommendations.

Background: Other Aqua Lung Yoke Regulators are currently stamped to a 232 BAR service pressure to reflect compatibility with higher 3300 PSI rated cylinders. Since the Conshelf Yoke is manufactured in the same manner as the higher rated Yokes, the stamping on the Conshelf 14 standard yoke was changed to 232 BAR. Physical construction of the Yoke was unchanged, the only visual change is the stamping designating “232 BAR.”

Summary: Conshelf 14 Yokes designated 3000 PSI may be used with 3300 PSI Cylinders. Future Conshelf Yokes will be stamped “232 BAR” designating a maximum service pressure of 3364 PSI. Service pressures higher than 3364 PSI require incorporation of DIN regulator and valve fittings as recommended by CGA. If you have any questions, please

We use the Conshelf yoke to 3500 psi on a regular basis.

I have several Conshelf yokes stamped with the 4000 psi on it. The construction has not changed between any of those heavy Conshelf yokes.

Any Aqualung dealer can get them, but they are very expensive. Mine have come from ebay.

Actual Conshelf DIN converters turn up from time to time on eBay.
1st gen Titan converters also work as do their enviro kits (as well as the ones for Cousteau Glacia .... enviro seals that is, not the DIN converters).

Actual Conshelf DIN converters turn up from time to time on eBay.
1st gen Titan converters also work as do their enviro kits (as well as the ones for Cousteau Glacia .... enviro seals that is, not the DIN converters).

I was going to point this out but thought the better of it because I don't know everyone's background. The Titan DIN converters will fit, but you have to discard the Titan O-ring that fits on the base, and replace it with a smaller diameter O-ring on the nose. I have the size written down somewhere. If this is not done, the O-ring on the base can extrude during a dive resulting in a rapid and uncontrolled HP leak because the Conshelf regulators lack the mating groove for it.

Is the Conshelf 14 second stage box bottom, pn 108122, still available and if so where? I have a couple Conshelf XIV's seconds that I would like convert to having the adjustment port opposite the inlet.
Thanks for ant information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom