Coron - not looking to dive the wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tdog3261

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have done the wrecks....looking for something a little off the grid, quiet, with great diving. I've heard its out there along the west / north side of buswanga but its sure difficult to find much quality info online.

Any recommendations for locations or dive resorts to consider?

As someone who is going there in March 17 the North east has Cashew Grove resort, and El Rio y mar with the same dive op as mentioned above; dugongdivecenter. We selected this as they do day, and overnight trips to Apo reef, but also have some other reported nice dive sites nearby. I have researched the hell out of this trip, and if you have any specifics, PM me.

I stayed and dove off of Club Paradise on Dimakya Island, to the north of Busuanga. It is a nice resort, with good food and comfortable rooms, geared more for the average beach-going tourist than for an avid diver. It meets all your requirements except that I would be hard pressed to say that it was "great" diving. I went there for the sole purpose of seeing and shooting dugongs, which I had never seen or shot before. I am pleased to say that I was successful in that endeavor, but it took a loot of huffing and puffing on snorkel. In other words, at least based on the ones that I saw, they are far from being sluggish like the Florida manatees: if you expect them to just sit and pose the way manatees do, you are in for a surprise. If you go, maybe you will get lucky and find one feeding on sea grass. Other "highlights" were a decent school of big eye trevallys and a really impressive school of scads - the kind of school that completely blocks out the sun. Both of these schools were right off the beach. Also, Apo Reef (not to be confused with Apo Island) can be done as a day trip from here. On land, the hundreds (maybe more) fruit bats that live on the island and fly off at dusk were quite impressive.

Thanks for the recommendations! Its strange the Club Paradise says Apo Reef is 1.5 hours away while DDC says 3 hours. They seem to be pretty close to each other. Has anyone done the Apo Reef trip from any of these locations?

I recall that it took about 2 hrs to get to Apo Reef from Club Paradise. My guess is that the length of the ride will vary according to sea conditions and how many horses the engines can put out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom