Cost To Hire Someone To Film Us?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had had the raw footage I might have been able to have someone else re-do it more to our liking. Just because someone is skilled at filming doesn't mean he is skilled at editing. Sometimes a client wants more creative control. I may not be able to produce it myself, but if someone else has the necessary skills, then he can follow my direction.

Did you complain and ask for a re-edit? In theory, the person with the necessary skills and equipment to follow your direction would be the person you originally hired. I have been doing still photography for over 25 years and I could shoot some pretty good video too. The part that keeps me from doing video professionally is the editing. It is harder than it looks and the right tools to do a professional job are very expensive.

Did you complain and ask for a re-edit? In theory, the person with the necessary skills and equipment to follow your direction would be the person you originally hired. . . .

I was so disappointed, so amazed at how bad his finished product was, that I was afraid if I talked to him I'd lose my cool. I wanted nothing more to do with him. Nowadays I am more savvy. Nobody takes pictures for me without assigning me the copyright and handing over all files.

At 200$ you're getting ripped off big time ! Average price in the area is 75$ for a 20 minutes video of 2 dives. For a fully personalized, edited video with the raw footage on a usb key should not go for more than 100-125 usd... Also need to be careful, ask what their equipment is, many "pro" videographers use Gopro's and even crappy point&shoot cameras, these days, any divemaster with a ****** camera passes as the dive center resident photographer ! Make sure to check their previous work as well to see if it's the quality grade you are looking for.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in replying. This will be filmed privately just for us for one dive only with a duration of around 25 minutes. We were offered a price of $140 just for the raw footage, or $190 with editing. Filming will be done on either a Canon or Sony in full HDV.

Both options still seem very expensive, but happy to hear more comments, especially from those of you in the trade.

If anyone could recommend any other pro's to film this, that would be great.

Sorry for the delay in replying. This will be filmed privately just for us for one dive only with a duration of around 25 minutes. We were offered a price of $140 just for the raw footage, or $190 with editing. Filming will be done on either a Canon or Sony in full HDV.

Both options still seem very expensive, but happy to hear more comments, especially from those of you in the trade.

If anyone could recommend any other pro's to film this, that would be great.

$200 Sounds like a deal.

Especially with hindsight for instance when you find the guy for $80 and he doesn't show up for the dive. Oh well, it's Mexico you reschedule for the next day. He does show up, but after the dive you find out oops, footage was shot on the wrong setting, can we meet tomorrow at Aldora's villa and do an reenactment of the event in the water in front of their place, of course the next day he calls to tell you his camera is down and he is trying to find another one to borrow, days later he tells you Oh you're leaving today? Well I will email you the footage I got on the dive, it's really not viewable, but tell you what I'll even refund the $80. Have a nice wedding.

Just saying be careful you don't end up getting what you pay for and making nothing but apologies to your new fiance.

I proposed underwater, in a Florida cavern. I had two diveshops and a number of other divers volunteer to film it for free. The thing that was disappointing about it was that an underwater proposal was actually a very short event. Probably 15-30 seconds of actual "proposing". The rest of your video is just a dive video. Great to have, but not particularly relevant to the proposal. It's almost an "oh yeah, and we also saw some fish on that day."

If you actually want to ask and get a response, consider renting or buying full facemasks with comms. I did, and it was well worth it. A shop in my area charged $100/day for two masks with comms on each. I wish I had a third radio so I could have dubbed the audio onto the video. The shop I rented from gave us a demo in their pool. They're not difficult to use, but do warrant a few minutes of instruction time.

In my case, it was a surprise. It took a decent amount of work to plan and execute without her finding out in advance. I'm sure she knew what was up when a team of people followed us into the cavern...

I always ask for raws or unedited video when hiring a photographer or videographer. Maybe they will produce a great edited result, maybe not. This is especially risky with old school film photographers. Not because of a lack of skill, but a lot of them tend to hand you low resolution images/video often with ghastly watermarks. Later if you want to get something blown up for your wall, use it as a desktop wallpaper or just about anything else it will look awful. If I can get edited+raw, then so much the better. However for me, no raws = no sale.

Don't drop the ring!
I agree. I had a "stunt" ring made. It was under $200 extra from the jewler who made the real ring, and I couldn't tell the difference - he had to mark the fake for me. Also, I still tied it off to myself with a string.

Also, with reference to "professional" videographers and pricing. There are professionals, and then there are professionals. You might be getting a "pro" dm to follow you around with a sony or canon and film your dive for $200. For a real pro with a real professional camera system (think RED or similar with large lighting system) you're looking at thousands. These guys travel the world and film for companies like BBC and National Geographic. I can only assume that Master Blaster was thinking of these kinds of professionals when he balked.

The shop we dove with this summer in Playa del Carmen, had a video diver on several dives. We got a 15 minute edited video with music bed for $100. I got 2!

Since starting this thread, I have always thought to capture this on video, despite us never filming anything as photos are so much easier to share, view and edit. I'm now wondering whether a whole load of photos will be a better option. The actual 'proposal' will only take 30 seconds or so and I'm not sure how clear a video of this would be vs a timeline of images?

What do you guys think? Which media would work best for this situation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom