Could The World's Worst Airport Be In Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok....you have convinced me....I was leaving for AKR Saturday for a week of diving, drinking, eating and just not being at work but it is not worth a wait in the airport. Let me tell my boss about my decision. Then I will go to my therapist and explain the Uzi and Prozac....but at least I won't be in a line...............

Our group just got back from Roatan this past weekend. I didn't think the airport was bad in either direction. We were passed through quickly and pretty efficiently I thought. My wife and I did do the pre-check thing and were taken to a line that was much shorter but then we had to wait for the others in our group anyway. When we were leaving, the issue with the flight was due to a storm in Houston so I couldn't blame Roatan for that. I think people's experience are based on attitude and patience level. If you are expecting royal treatment in some of these thrid world countries you might be fooling yourself. Take it for what it is or don't go.

Just passed through three international airports in the past week. Ok LAX has improved a bit with the new TB terminal - it's still not high on my list though.

10 Worst airports I've been through:
- Manado - I'll never ever fly Lion Air again! Even with Singapore Airlines the check-ins are more orderly, but I swear there is a local mafia controlling the baggage claim and the trolleys!
- Sao Paulo
- LAX
- Dulles - 3 hours to go through passport control!
- Philadelphia (I went through there flying on US Airways a couple of days after they went Chapter 11 - not a good experience!)
- Coolangatta, Australia - at the time it was a tent. It's permanent airport now.
- Delhi
- Mataram, Lombok, Indonesia
- Casablanca, Morocco
- Cairo, Egypt

Roatan doesn't come close.

"World's worst airport"? We just returned from roatan saturday, before the trip I just laughed at this thread...now I understand! I can't say it's the world's worst since I haven't been to every airport, I can that the departure area is the worst we have ever experienced. Arrival wasn't bad, 20 min wait and we have have much much worse in Jamaica. Leaving started out fine, quickly thru check in, no problems in security then you round the corner and find yourself in a room made for 37 people with 483 people in it. Imagine a 14 foot dive boat that fits 6 people with 86 people all fighting for a place to be; you want a place to sit? Only way would be to not take a bath for a week and wear a wetsuit you just pee'd in...then maybe, just maybe, you could find a seat. Thirsty? Go wait in line with 122 people for a overpriced drink and don't buy a water for the plane- they will take it. So after standing like your in the front row of a greatful dead concert they call your flight. You can see the gate but you are trying to get there is like trying to part the red Sea to get there. So close but so far. Oh did I mention all three flight leave so close together they all line up at the same time? Well we did survive, will this cause us not to return? Nope but next time we will go prepared with cattle prods, tear gas and wet suits. Ymmv. Bill

For a complete contrast, try the Chichen Itza International airport. This is one of the world's greatest boondoggles. A 10,000 ft runway capable of hosting an A380 with a massive concourse but not one leased store. We flew from Cozumel - it was quite surreal. Our Cessna was the only plane on the tarmac. We looked like a flea on a hippos ass. We walked thru an unmanned modern terminal to a run down taxi who drove us on an unpaved road to the pyramids. Best airport experience you will EVER have. Period.

For our recent trip, the departure wasn't bad but the arrivals could have been a huge problem as we were connecting with the ferry. They had only 2-3 customs agents and the scanner they use for fingerprints kept messing up. Fortunately for us, there were a few arrivals volunteers there and when I told one of them that we had a ferry to catch in two hours, she expedited us to the front of the line.

Just flew back from Roatan to Dallas yesterday. Hardly the world's worst departure sitch. Be patient, then get a Salva Vida or your poison of choice. :drunks:

I was on that AA flight from Dallas to Roatan, Sat, May 21. It was delayed about 3 hours in Dallas because AA had to get a new plane from the hanger. When we arrived in Roatan, they prioritized people trying to make a connection to Guanaja or Utila through immigration. All in all, I think Roatan airport is doing a pretty good job.

Feckin crybabies, Less than an hour for immigration and less than half hour to leave , Just how efficient do people expect a third world airport to be?

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom