Cozumel = "hell on earth?!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real reason we go to Coz all the time is simply the price. I don't know where else poor college graduates can go for $600 a week and dive. Belize, GC, Bahamas, ABC's, etc are all a grand plus to go to.
Would I like to go somewhere else? Sure I plan on hitting up all those places, but for the time being Coz can be my favorite hell on Earth :D

The real reason we go to Coz all the time is simply the price. I don't know where else poor college graduates can go for $600 a week and dive. Belize, GC, Bahamas, ABC's, etc are all a grand plus to go to.
Would I like to go somewhere else? Sure I plan on hitting up all those places, but for the time being Coz can be my favorite hell on Earth :D

The air ticket might cost a bit more, but the diving in Roatan is a definitely cheaper than Cozumel.

The air ticket might cost a bit more, but the diving in Roatan is a definitely cheaper than Cozumel.

That is true. We actually did look into going to Roatan but we were limited to the amount of days on our upcoming trip. I generally want to spend 5-6 nights somewhere new.

I did one dive trip to Coz a few years ago. The reef was a busy place. The boat was full. The people were nice. The food as average at the AI resort, and not exceptional when we went downtown. All in all it was far from "hell on earth," but in comparison to other places we have visited there was nothing that would draw me back year after year.

I guess that we all have our expectations. I was certainly not disappointed with Coz. Some folks must have much higher expectations.

Either that or the folks from Scotland were referring to the temperature!

My favorite thing to do in Coz is tell everyone on the boat we're on to meet up at this fabulous local restaurant that night to trade pictures and hang out our last day of diving.

I usually send them to Black and White while I watch HBO in my hotel room.

Deco - We've done that as well - some small, family run place where you hang out in the backyard and just relax. I love it.

As for the original post - I think it is funny that people should go to Cozumel (or any where else for that matter) and expect to find a Wal-mart or Costco - or even TRY to find one. Come on - absorb the culture. Yes, it is a different sort of life, and yeah, it might be harder to find "chapstick" or what not, but that's part of what is so great about travel. I've had my fair share of travel where I couldn't communicate, find "US brands," etc. and I have absolutely been enthralled in those trips.

My husband and I am heading to Coz again in the near future and we are both looking forward to it. Although I would be hard pressed to not be looking forward to any trip where I don't have to don a 7 mm wetsuit and deal with "a good day" of 25'! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom