Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anje77o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys, I've finally decided to only dive on one of these islands. Which one has more marine life? =)

2 dives on a island from a cruise ship, you won't scratch the surface of the good diving available on either of these islands, not even a good sample from the operators available to you. Personally, I would do both if I was being held hostage on a cruise ship

The plan with to do both but I'd really like to do the Stingray City dive as well but can't fit that in after a 2-tank AM dive on GC.

Coz has much better reef an other sea life. And sting Ray city can be a big disappointment. I suggest you consider the shore diving opportunities on GC. Eden Rock is not very good but Sunset House is quite good and you could easily get in 2 or 3 dives.

Awwwww don't say that, I was so looking forward to SRC but just called several dive operators but due to weather, it's 50/50 whether they'll even do it.

The plan with to do both but I'd really like to do the Stingray City dive as well but can't fit that in after a 2-tank AM dive on GC.

Personally, I'd do a 2 tank West side trip over Stingray City any day. There are some really good West side dive sites that even a cruise 2 tanker would be able to do and keep you on schedule. I don't know who would be the cruise ship operator. Divers Down is located in Georgetown, has a very good reputation, and has a cruise ship visitor tab on their website.

Another way to look at it is what are the nondiving alternatives at each port if you don't dive.

My opinion, based on my cruise before I started diving and my research for my upcoming trips to both islands, dive Coz. If possible do SRC if that interests you but have shore or boat diving as a backup option.

Coz has much better reef an other sea life. And sting Ray city can be a big disappointment. I suggest you consider the shore diving opportunities on GC. Eden Rock is not very good but Sunset House is quite good and you could easily get in 2 or 3 dives.

Two very different places and very complimentary. The East End of Grand Cayman is excellent, much more unspoiled and wild than the other areas of Grand Cayman. Cayman's North Wall is spectacular, Ghost Mountain is one of my all time favorites. The drift diving in Cozumel is fantastic. I'll take both.

The shore diving at Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point, and Cobalt Coast Resort puts Eden Rock and Sunset House to shame, not easily accessible for a cruise visit.

Two very different places and very complimentary. The East End of Grand Cayman is excellent, much more unspoiled and wild than the other areas of Grand Cayman. Cayman's North Wall is spectacular, Ghost Mountain is one of my all time favorites. The drift diving in Cozumel is fantastic. I'll take both.

The shore diving at Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point, and Cobalt Coast Resort puts Eden Rock and Sunset House to shame, not easily accessible for a cruise visit.
(Hijack. We are staying in Bodden Town and plan to use Ocean Frontier for east end diving. Which dive shop would you recommend for west side or north wall?)

Have done the string ray city thing 4 times standing in the water and snorkeling with them, did the dive once, would not do the diver version again, if I'd go back yet again I would do the standing in the water and snorkeling again, it's way more fun, way more interactive the dive is boring as hell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom