Cruise Ship Diving Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without a doubt, make your own diving arrangements, unless you are a newbie that wants/needs the follow the leaders, limited bottom type dives typical of the large cruise ship contracted dive op's. Head to the Cozumel section and you will find lots of recommendations for dive op's.

We dived with Alison Dennis. It was great: she altered the depature time (we arrived in Coz at 10 am) and we dived Palancar Horseshoe and Francesa (two of my favorite sites). Alison runs a very nice operation: small boat, dive your profile, and she knows her stuff.

matchframe:
We are going on a Caribbean Cruise over Christmas which will stop at Caymans and Cozumel. I have dove Caymans several times with Bob Sotos, and Parrots Landing. Cozumel will be new to me.

Would you recommend using the ship's dive tours, or find your own dives at these islands?

Thanks!

www.bigdogvettes.com

You will pay more for the same dives and in some cases with the same shop if you use the cruise ship service. Make arrangements with the dive shop before you leave for your trip and keep your emails with the prices, dates, who you emailed, etc.

--Matt

interesting but what if the dive op is late to get you back to your ship? has that ever happened to anyone?

I have never been late getting back, but be sure to bring your camera. That way you can get a picture of your SO shaking his/her fist at you from the railing.

Seriously, you want to plan your dive as early in the stopover as possible. That gives you the most flexibility if something goes wrong. Feel out the op ahead of time. Make sure that they appreciate the inportance of making it back to the ship on time.

Make sure that your SO is understanding enough that it won't ruin the relationship if you "don't" make it back.

If that is going to be a problem, go with the ship's excursion. The diving may not be as good (though it might be) but the ship won't leave you.

Rich Hagelin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom