Cuba Diving US citizen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlito35

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone knows what has to happen to do a Cuban dive week as a US citizen? Has anyone done it? There is a trade embargo still in place so I know that prevents me from flying directly there or using my PADI certification. What has to be done?

Right or fly to Mexico (on the way) and fly to Havana. Have any Americans done the trip?

I've heard of it being done, altho kinda doubt that many want to admit to it openly. I don't think any of your insurance would cover you there, I know that DAN diver insurance won't since they cannot send payments to Cuba, etc. and it would be pretty much an accepted risk adventure. Flying you direct to the US in case of accident or illness would probably be impossible too; I have personally seen two lives saved that way, but I've probably taken bigger risks in my life. :idk: You left your profile empty so I don't know your background.

Cuba has socialized medicine I hear quite good. We Americans think ours is special I'm sure they can handle diver incidents. My family is from there so I can get a humanitarian pass to visit (which is necessary) and only given if family or church mission work. So I can go. Just wondering if any have done so. It appears our trade embargo, now in place for over 50 years, has been successful in eliminating Cuba from American memories...

Cuba has socialized medicine I hear quite good. We Americans think ours is special I'm sure they can handle diver incidents. My family is from there so I can get a humanitarian pass to visit (which is necessary) and only given if family or church mission work. So I can go. Just wondering if any have done so. It appears our trade embargo, now in place for over 50 years, has been successful in eliminating Cuba from American memories...
I doubt that they give their socialized medical treatment to foreign visitors for free, but I have heard that they have visitors insurance you can buy which can cover dive accidents. I think there are restrictions on spending USDs there but you can exchange for Euros before you go and maybe skirt that? I read somewhere recently that if you go on a humanitarian pass, then recreational diving is prohibited - but you might be able to get away with it.

I'm not an authoritative source tho, so keep checking back for posts from others.

..snip..
I know that prevents me from ...... using my PADI certification. ..snip..
Why would you not be able to use your PADI certification?
The Cuban dive operators would accept it and they don't inform PADI that you're diving with them.

Check out this summary:
Americans in Cuba - Wikitravel

Like any other shady activity, don't bring attention to yourself as no good can come of it. Should you make your trip successfully, bragging about it on Facebook could lead to a chat with authorities as they do not have to catch you crossing the border to procacute. You don't want to be the example.

Bob
-------------------------------
I have no knowledge of, nor would I discuss if I did have any knowledge of any such event, if it did in fact occur.

Last edited:
I have been looking into it in great detail for over a year, so can answer many of your questions.
1) PADI dive cards are accepted. PADI does not operate in Cuba due to US embargo. But their cards are welcome. There are even some PADI instructors working there, they are just not able to certify students there.
2) Yes, Cuba has some of the best medical facilities in the world and are more than capable of dealing with dive emergencies. However, since May 2010, you have to have medical insurance to enter the country. Due to US embargo any US insurance company will not pay out and is therefore invalid. You may purchase medical insurance from them on entering the country.
3) If you want to fly in, do it through Toronto. Many officials in Jamaica, Mexico etc have been known to supply lists of names of US citizens travelling to Cuba to the US authorities.
4) The travel ban is US imposed, Cuba welcomes US citizens and will not stamp your passport.
5) There are legal ways to travel there. I am working on a legal package with a major Cuban dive operator. You will have to include some social excursions to learn about the culture of Cuba in your trip. It falls under a special lenience allowed by Obama a few years back.

Any more questions?

Back
Top Bottom