Trip Report Curacao Hurricane Matthew Quick Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
September 29 - October 4, 2016
Lodging: Pietermaai Boutique Hotel
Dive Shop: Scuba Lodge Dive Center Pietermaai

Our quick trip to Curacao had been planned for months. This extended weekend was the only time available, so given that it's at the peak of Caribbean Hurricane season, I chose Curacao. We also like shore diving and there were easy flights. We did AA DCA->MIA->CUR. One interesting note - when I checked the prices of the flights as a package, it was $800. But when I did two distinct flights, it was $500. I was worried about having time to re-check my dive bag, but it turned out to be fine. The AA counter linked my flights going down (they said they were stopping this practice). Coming back they would not link them, but in MIA you can very easily get your bag and re-check right at the AA counter without having to go all the way back through the lines.

I began checking NHC about a week before, as I always do with an Atlantic Fall trip and it did not look good, with Hurricane Matthew headed right for Curacao. Amazingly, none of our flights was affected. When we arrived on Thursday, the island was basically shut down. National election postponed; grocery store empty and closing early; sandbags everywhere; you get the picture. We still went to the dive shop and asked about an afternoon dive, but they advised against it. Most tracking had Matthew headed right for the island Friday. Friday morning, we walked down to the shop and talked to staff. I was willing to give it a shot, but with 5ft. waves and rain, they said the viz would be shot. My buddy is not as experienced with wave entries. So we decided to skip diving and do some land activities - walked around downtown, Curacao distillery tour, and saw a movie. I kept an eye on the hurricane track all day, and instead of plowing into the island on Friday, it was pushed northward and just glanced, with some heavy wind and rain. No flooding and no major damage on Curacao. Saturday, we walked back to the dive shop and although no one else was willing to try, we went for two lovely dives at Tugboat. Sunday and Monday were back to normal, with sun and more divers.

All said, we got in 3 days of 2-tank diving instead of 4. We also did a night dive by ourselves on the Scuba Lodge house reef, so a total of 7 dives. I really enjoyed diving with Scuba Lodge. Given the weather conditions and relative inexperience of my buddy, it seemed safer to go with them than to just drive to shore sites on our own. It's a very laid back operation, but the staff were great. We always dived our computers, with no dive less than 70 minutes and some close to 90. They didn't over-manage but were there when we needed something. They were a little overbooked for their small van, so on Sunday and Monday I ended up driving four of us in my rental car, and they gave me a discount for helping out. I would definitely use them again. Besides 2 dives near Tug Boat, we did Kokomo, Director's Bay, Snake Bay, and Jan Thiel. Found lots of cool stuff to photograph: Dark Mantis Shrimp, Octos, Schools of Squid, Seahorses, and Frogfish. And at Snake Bay, fields of small brain corals with Spinyhead Blennies. Honestly, never seen anything like it. They were everywhere. Everyone thought they were secretary blennies, but I'm going by this guide. The viz and conditions were not particularly affected by the hurricane. Seemed pretty normal to me and to the dive staff.

Our lodging was a small boutique hotel, but booked through AirBnb. We needed 2 bedrooms, and it was a good value for that. Bars/Restaurants very nearby and walking distance to Punda district of Willemstad. The Pietermaai area is interesting - either completely falling apart buildings, or newly renovated boutique hotels. Felt safe, Parked on the street, and walked around at night, no issues.

Here's the full gallery and a few pics attached:

Curacao 2016

Coming home Tuesday, I was sure our luck had run out, since Matthew was headed right for Miami. But our flight to Miami was on time, and Matthew swerved north, so even our flight back to DC was on time. I wasn't sure doing Curacao for only 5 days was worth the time and expense, but I'd definitely do it again. AirBnB + Shore Diving + Cooking Meals means it can be done for a fairly reasonable amount of money. If anyone is considering in general - is Curacao a good destination? My vote is 100% yes. It has variety, both on land and underwater. It has a fascinating blend of cultures and languages, and an economy apart from tourism. Great beaches, and great diving. I've been twice and plan to return when I can.

curacao1-13.jpg
curacao1-25.jpg
curacao1-47.jpg
curacao1-71.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom