Curacao import/customs restrictions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j1j2j38

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm wondering if Curacao has any customs restrictions on food that I can bring onto the island? I'd like to bring in some frozen food, prepared food, some vegetables from my garden if possible, but if it's not allowed then obviously that won't happen. I know you can bring whatever into Bonaire but I haven't been to Curacao before. Thanks.

I have found that rules and regulations are often subjectable to the mood of the agent on any given day (at any given business or office). That said, many people bring in their own groceries, some have even given us fresh corn and tomatoes Hint, Hint!
There are a number of large grocery stores, much larger than Bonaire. I like Vruegrenhil off Caracasbaai Weg and Albert Heijns. There are 2 Centrums (sometimes carrying different stock?), Cost U Less (carries US meats) and some pretty large "local" stores where you can save a few guilders.
The best day to shop would be on Friday to give Customs time to clear the Wednesday boat and Thursday for the stores to stock the shelves. BTW, that last sentence is also subjectable to the boat arriving, Customs, employees and the moons aligning.
You can find most things (at least once a year) on the island. Try Danio yogurt for breakfast.

When we came through the Curacao airport the customs lanes were closed and we just walked right past not sure if that is the norm but once we got our passports stamped we just grabbed our bags and off we went.

Many countries prohibit the entrance of vegetables and meat products, but many travellers today take their favorite food products with them on their trip. I would suggest, that you ask your doctor for a prescription informing that you are on a special medical diet, for your stomach and you have to take special food, during your vacation. This is specially for the meat products. You many gat a nice customs agent at your entry, who might not even open your baggage, but if you get a tough one, he might take all the meat from you. I have experienced in Venezuela, they take away cheese and other food products from travellers as prohibited entry in the country, they drop them in a box on the floor and later they take them home for their own use!!!! (Arriving home, they tell their wife, look I got a nice gift for you here, its the confiscated cheese from customers). So be aware not all the countries are all the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom