Curacao Vacation Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaBunny88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

Based on advice here, it looks like Curacao is our next vacation. The dive packages at Lions Dive looks appealing. We've never been to Curacao before--should we be looking at Airbnb etc. or other resorts? I've started looking but, before deep-diving into options, I thought I would ask here. What other dive shops do you recommend, and why specifically? I've Googled most of them. My husband is a non-diver and we will have a car. On tropical vacations he likes tho hang out on the beach, have a good drink, dip in the pool, and try local foods. We aren't partiers and prefer properties that are fun during the day and peaceful at night. Lions Dive seems to have a great reputation, and from other posts here, I think I would ask for a room near the dive shop since that seems to be the quietest part of the property. Has anyone had noise problems etc? Does the resort feel crowded and crazy at certain times? We will likely be there the last eek of April (tbd).

Thank you,

Lions Dive is a good choice; better than Sunscape. The dive operator, Ocean Encounters, serves customers from both resorts. I've stayed at Sunscape and cannot recommend it, but the dive shop is a really good operation. Bluewater Dive Travel has a DEMA special for bookings through 12/31/23. Ocean Encounters DEMA 2023 Special: 7N Packages

Another vote for LionsDive. I was there in summer 2021 so tourist volume was a bit light (thus cannot speak to what the resort is like at full capacity) but the property is very nice and a non-diver who enjoys the beach and pool will be happy. The food was good - not award winning but then perhaps things are better now that the COVID shutdown is in the rearview mirror. There are good restaurant alternatives within walking distance and Willemstad is an easy drive (and worth visiting). As for Ocean Encounters - our group (dive shop club) was favorably impressed. Actually booked to go back in September.

"Nobody goes to Yogi Berry because it is too crowded". Soon the same will be true for Curacao. The island was a deserted shithole back in 2002, but now you can't go anywhere without being overrun by busloads of tourists. It is quickly becoming the Times Square/Barcelona of the Caribbean with sad consequences for its marine life.

Anyways, I'd like to remind you of my old observation: the further away from Willemstad you dive, the better the reefs are.

"Nobody goes to Yogi Berry because it is too crowded". Soon the same will be true for Curacao. The island was a deserted shithole back in 2002, but now you can't go anywhere without being overrun by busloads of tourists. It is quickly becoming the Times Square/Barcelona of the Caribbean with sad consequences for its marine life.

Anyways, I'd like to remind you of my old observation: the further away from Willemstad you dive, the better the reefs are.
Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. My professional work revolves around land use and wildlife conservation, so I understand the troubles. I work in resort areas and places with huge population increases. It's a challenge all around, since we all travel/recreate/enjoy nature. The consequences need to be avoided when possible and minimized/mitigated when not possible.

Another vote for LionsDive. I was there in summer 2021 so tourist volume was a bit light (thus cannot speak to what the resort is like at full capacity) but the property is very nice and a non-diver who enjoys the beach and pool will be happy. The food was good - not award winning but then perhaps things are better now that the COVID shutdown is in the rearview mirror. There are good restaurant alternatives within walking distance and Willemstad is an easy drive (and worth visiting). As for Ocean Encounters - our group (dive shop club) was favorably impressed. Actually booked to go back in September.

Thank you for the review! LionsDive is top of the list right now. I'm thinking about doing the coral restoration course when I'm there.

Lions Dive is a good choice; better than Sunscape. The dive operator, Ocean Encounters, serves customers from both resorts. I've stayed at Sunscape and cannot recommend it, but the dive shop is a really good operation. Bluewater Dive Travel has a DEMA special for bookings through 12/31/23. Ocean Encounters DEMA 2023 Special: 7N Packages

I'll check out DEMA! Thanks for the tip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom