cutting down petrel straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jallen013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Mrs. says that the tails of the Petrel straps bug her and she's asking me to cut them down. I assume that it's similar to cutting bungee cord - cut then burn with a lighter - but I'd really like to not screw this up. Before I start getting crazy with the scissors I thought I'd check in to see if any one else has done this or if it's unadvisable.

Thanks.

I have a Predator and have had the same issue. Enough times that I have finally made the decision. Remove the old straps entirely and replace with bungee cord. Problem solved. No cutting involved.

I've trimmed mine and lightly melted the ends to prevent fraying. There's a lot of non-melty fabric in there, so don't go too crazy or expect it to melt as fully as cave line, bungie, or harness webbing. Just a moderate touch of flame and a good squeeze on each cut should do you.

Bungie also works, but the original Petrel bungie adaptors had some issues and I'm not a fan of bungie thin enough to side through the Petrel's slots. Using strips of Kydex in place of the bungie adaptors is a good workaround, but I've opted for the straps because they seem secure and they hold my Trilobite really well.

There's extra and then there's exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxtra. One can trim the latter without cutting into the former.

couple rubber bands to tuck the ends, and all is well....

I just tuck the extras... I'm constantly switching back & forth Between wet & dry suits, So need the expandability.

^
^
^ This. Plus if she starts working out and gets giant forearms, she'll wish she had them...

Thanks for the insight. I tuck my ends in but she's not down with that. Will see that she thinks about bungee and will cut if need be. If all goes to hell, I expect I can order a new set of stock straps and start over.

LOLed at "giant forearms".

Irikonji, of the expensive but awesome dive shorts, used to make little strap keeper eggrolls for the SW computer straps...but I don't see them on their website anymore.

Irikonji, of the expensive but awesome dive shorts, used to make little strap keeper eggrolls for the SW computer straps...but I don't see them on their website anymore.
I couldn't find anything on their website, however a while back I bought some tube webbing from Divetech in Mallorytown, Ca. It is about 3/4 or 1 inch and it can be rounded. I took a piece and put it over the ends and it seems to hold them fine. It isn't to stretchy but we'll see how it works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom