Cutting the Scopolamine Patch in 1/2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc V, I bow to you, as I see you beat me to the info on Scopace. Where did you learn of it's existence? I'm trying to remember where I first heard of it! Might have been an article in Salt Water Sportsman?

Hi John,

Well, being a diving doctor kind of gives me a leg up. ; )

However, Scopace production was discontinued in April of this year. Happily, there is a generic.

Regards,

DocV

I tried the generic version on my last dive trip without success and had to go back to the patch. My only real issue with the patch is that it often washes off during the first dive which leads to nausea during the surface interval. The pill form I tried was Methoscopolamine 5mg tablets. I took only one as directed. Should I try an increased dose? I'd really like to use the pills if possible because you won't have to deal with the side effects all day if you're only doing morning dives.

What I did on the liveaboards I've been on was to apply a band-aid behind my ear and apply half the patch on the skin and half on the band-aid. They fell off easier, after maybe 36-48h, but no side-effects like I experienced with a full patch.

What I did on the liveaboards I've been on was to apply a band-aid behind my ear and apply half the patch on the skin and half on the band-aid. They fell off easier, after maybe 36-48h, but no side-effects like I experienced with a full patch.

Hi NorthO,

Between reducing the amount of active ingredient available by halving the patch proper and then by whatever additional amount was lost through washout/dilution from the physically compromised drug delivery system, this would not be unexpected.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I tried the generic version on my last dive trip without success and had to go back to the patch. My only real issue with the patch is that it often washes off during the first dive which leads to nausea during the surface interval. The pill form I tried was Methoscopolamine (spo/) 5mg tablets. I took only one as directed. Should I try an increased dose?

Hi fab50diver,

Adhesion sometimes can be improved by shaving the area of planned attachment and then wiping it with alcohol prior to placement of the patch. Also, make sure that hoods, masks, etc. do not mechanically dislodge the patch.

As for "methscopolamine," unless otherwise specifically directed by the prescribing doctor 5mg typically is as much as is advisable per dose. However, more than one dose a day can be taken to provide coverage over a full day of SCUBA. One dose every 4 hours across the active diving time, starting an hour or so before boarding the boat, typically is permissible, although the total daily dosage generally is not to exceed 20 mg/day. Some experimentation may be necessary to find out what works for the individual.

Of course any such trial and error titration of the drug should be done under physician supervision and with adequate topside trials before commencing diving.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom