Dcs Incident At Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karstdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I know this thread is about the accident in the cave at Ginnie,but understand there was a DCS incident the same time frame that lead to a fatality at Ginnie. If the symptoms being described on CDF are accurate and rough time line of onset too, there is something be learned here too. That type of DCS is not seen as frequently ,but can have some very tragic outcomes. Personally, I would like to know the dive plan etc that lead up to this. Unfortunately, the closest chamber won't recompress divers, and being responsive is critical. Wonder if they were taken to the closest chamber or somewhere else? Condolences to the family of this person.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this thread is about the accident in the cave at Ginnie,but understand there was a DCS incident the same time frame that lead to a fatality at Ginnie. If the symptoms being described on CDF are accurate and rough time line of onset too, there is something be learned here too. That type of DCS is not seen as frequently ,but can have some very tragic outcomes. Personally, I would like to know the dive plan etc that lead up to this. Unfortunately, the closest chamber won't recompress divers, and being responsive is critical. Wonder if they were taken to the closest chamber or somewhere else? Condolences to the family of this person.

Understand they were taken to Tampa for treatment. Cave divers/divers in that area, TAKE NOTE, you will not get recompression help at the closest chamber. You need to know yourself where you need to go to get help.

CDF speculates that the diver has since died.

Not to belabor the question, but does anyone know what happened at Ginnie with this unfortunate fellow?

I've searched the net and FB but unable to find anything else on this...

From Tomas Sládek – Ginnie Springs accident... - Lucie Šmejkalová | Facebook
Tomas Sládek – Ginnie Springs accident

We are crushed by the loss of our friend and diver.
As of now we know the following information about the accident that happened on the 1st of April 2016 in Ginnie Springs, Florida.

Tomas was doing a solo dive in Devils Ear. It was his first dive in Ginnie Springs. After he completed his dive, he went out of water and visited the bath house. He was communicating with the people who were around. He was coughing intensively. The emergency personnel were contacted and Tomas was transported to a local hospital.
Sadly, we have no further information.

Seems there is some question about date, CDF says 3 April, the linked post says 1 April.

He was out of the water, talking to people and had some respiratory distress. Speculation based on some eyewitness statements is that he got bent, pulmonary DCS, took a trip to the hospital, later died. Don't know if he got into a chamber, but I think that's what kicked off the debate about chambers turning away divers.

Pulmonary DCS (Chokes)

I'm not familiar with that site; never been there. Those who have, can you make any reasonable guesses as to how deep a person might get, based on a single dive to the 'Devil's Ear' site?

Richard.

About 100' depth give or take for the popular parts of the system. We usully average 85'-95' for our dives. Exiting the Ear starts close to 60', you get spit out around 40', deco log at 20' shelters you from flow, somewhat.

Ginnie gets to around 100 ft in depth, but there are also shallower areas in the system so average depth is usually less. As you come out it shallows to around 55-60' for the last 200'-300' feet before you exit, via either the Ear or the Eye.

If I have any signifiant deco obligation I exit through the Eye, as it has plenty of space to make deco stops at 40' 20' and 10' levels, (a 30 ft stop is bit more cramped, but two divers in side mount configuration can stay out of the way and not block divers entering or exiting). The area at 20' will easily handle 8-10 divers, even with DPVs.

The other advantage of the Eye is that the flow is much lower through the entire exit and there's no risk of getting blown out of the cave.

If you elect to exit the Ear, you basically exit through a crack a few fee wide and several feet high with substantial flow. If you are not on your game, and final to properly manage your drysuit, wing, and (if applicable) loop volumes, you run the risk of getting blown out of the cave. If that happens and you have 40' and 30' stops to make, you've got a problem.

If you add in other challenges such as trying to exit with a camera or a DPV, you're going to have to deal with the extra task loading as well, and my understanding is that the man in question also had a fairly sizable camera on the dive.

At the 20' level in the Ear, there is a large log that makes deco easier, and there are also areas deeper in the crack that are fairly sheltered from the flow, but the number of divers that can comfortably decompress there is more limited than in the Eye.

We were there the day this incident occurred and while there were still other caves in the area that were not closed due to flooding, the number was dwindling and the volume was up at Ginnie, particularly given that it was also a weekend.

There was another fatality that day, involving a CCR diver who appears to have had a heart attack, and that incident over shadowed this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom