Dealing with task loading. A few tips for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This topic has been on my mind again lately.

I've written about it before but I thought I'd give a quick summary of a couple of ideas I have for task loading. In this post I'll just focus on a couple of things you can use right out of the gate that will help.

The audience I have in mind here are novice divers.

Just to give a quick definition. For the purposes of this post I'll define "task loading" as having to handle more than one non-trivial task simultaneously.

In short, the more you slice up your attention between different tasks, the harder the big 3 get. The big 3 being
1. buoyancy control,
2. buddy contact and
3. communication.

So concept #1 is this. The "attention slices". I think of them as links in a chain. The more attention you give to one link in the chain, the less you have for the next one. As you go, you can delay a task (skip a link) and come back to it later but if you delay it for too long it might create a problem, which in turn becomes a new link in the chain that needs attention and so forth. If your chain of tasks gets "bunched up". Then something you didn't plan for could happen.

An example of this is what happened to a student of mine recently. He was engaged in a dive that was challenging his basic skills (buoyancy control, buddy contact, communication) and I gave him an additional task. The task (not that it matters, it could have been anything...) was to stop and hover while writing something in a note book. Just that one additional task caused him to delay giving attention to his buoyancy control and he started floating away from the bottom while he was writing in the book, to the point where he was losing focus on the big 3. By the time he started to correct, he had to give all of his attention to avoiding an unintentional ascent and in the process (a) was no longer able to communicate (b) would have lost contact with his buddy --me-- if I hadn't swum up with him and (c) was no longer in control of his buoyancy control. He also discarded my notebook in order to free up his hands, which was lost.... But that doesn't matter. What matters is what he learned.

I think anyone who has ever learned how to dive can relate to that.

So... what *could* my student have done to have remained in control there? This is where concept #2 comes into play. "Chaining". Chaining means that whatever you are doing, you need to keep coming back to the big 3 often enough that you don't lose control of them. That means that you need to "slice" your attention between tasks. In this case, my student could have written one letter (or one word) at a time and that pause to briefly give attention to the big 3 before returning to the task of writing in the book. Then write the next word and so forth.

So managing task loading means being aware of a few main concepts
- the big 3
- attention slicing
- chaining

and to balance non critical tasks using pauses in order to not lose control of the big 3.

The good news is that the amount of attention you need to give to the big 3 becomes less and less as they become more and more automated with experience. This means you can manage additional tasks better as you gain experience. However, no matter how long or how much you dive, there will always be times that you have to park a task and focus on "just diving" in order to free up attention.

I hope this makes sense to anyone who had the patience to read through it all and I hope it helps.

R..

I like your advice. I still actually have to do my OW checkout dives but I have done all of my theory and confined pool aspects. I like your advice here and will remember it. I feel like however practicing a lot before going to the OW is quite a factor in this. In the pool at least now that I have had many extra pool sessions I am able to focus on doing a task while still paying attention to buoyancy, buddy, communication, and of course checking my air. With practice it feels much more natural and just flows smoothly.

I may be finished confined but have been practicing a lot extra in the pool.

Hi "Fogest",

Practice is good. Let's just get that out of the way.

What is also clear (to me) is that no matter how much you practice you can never become immune to task loading. I am not immune either. I have more than 30 years of diving experience, a LOT of dives, a LOT of training and technical training and technical diving... and if you give me the right combination of tasks I'll still struggle with it. Nobody is immune to task loading. Nobody.

In fact, that's the key to courses like DIR-F, or the way I teach it, PPB. I've literally never met a diver who can't learn something by putting them under task loading. You can turn any course into a game of "diving tetris". Raising the bar is easy by just adding more and more tasks and when the student fails you can say, "you SEE, you NEED me" (or this course).

The big, dark, secret from a lot of advanced training is that they want you to pay 1000's of dollars to learn what I just explained in broad terms in the post above.

What I'm trying to teach you right now is that by slowing down, keeping your task chain from bunching up and being aware of certain concepts that you can understand and manage task loading ... perhaps a little better.

R..

Applicable anywhere task loading is an issue.

For me, not dropping my knees, running a reel, finning and critical buoyancy skills, situational and buddy awareness. I'll be back, pretty sure that I'm almost ready...

Posts clashed, but yeah. Same message.

Hi "Fogest",

Practice is good. Let's just get that out of the way.

What is also clear (to me) is that no matter how much you practice you can never become immune to task loading. I am not immune either. I have more than 30 years of diving experience, a LOT of dives, a LOT of training and technical training and technical diving... and if you give me the right combination of tasks I'll still struggle with it. Nobody is immune to task loading. Nobody.

In fact, that's the key to courses like DIR-F, or the way I teach it, PPB. I've literally never met a diver who can't learn something by putting them under task loading. You can turn any course into a game of "diving tetris". Raising the bar is easy by just adding more and more tasks and when the student fails you can say, "you SEE, you NEED me" (or this course).

The big, dark, secret from a lot of advanced training is that they want you to pay 1000's of dollars to learn what I just explained in broad terms in the post above.

What I'm trying to teach you right now is that by slowing down, keeping your task chain from bunching up and being aware of certain concepts that you can understand and manage task loading ... perhaps a little better.

R..
Oh yeah it is definitely still a great thing to be good at, but I find what usually happens is that people get focused on a task and aren't thinking. If they aren't thinking about other things they won't think to switch to other tasks. Which is why I think extra practice is also helpful. If you get focused on a task, especially when in an emergency situation you're not thinking rationally and that is when practice kicks in. It is just natural. I think practicing breaking up a task however is still very useful and essential to scuba diving! Great post!

This topic has been on my mind again lately.

I've written about it before but I thought I'd give a quick summary of a couple of ideas I have for task loading. In this post I'll just focus on a couple of things you can use right out of the gate that will help.

The audience I have in mind here are novice divers.

Just to give a quick definition. For the purposes of this post I'll define "task loading" as having to handle more than one non-trivial task simultaneously.

In short, the more you slice up your attention between different tasks, the harder the big 3 get. The big 3 being
1. buoyancy control,
2. buddy contact and
3. communication.

So concept #1 is this. The "attention slices". I think of them as links in a chain. The more attention you give to one link in the chain, the less you have for the next one. As you go, you can delay a task (skip a link) and come back to it later but if you delay it for too long it might create a problem, which in turn becomes a new link in the chain that needs attention and so forth. If your chain of tasks gets "bunched up". Then something you didn't plan for could happen.

An example of this is what happened to a student of mine recently. He was engaged in a dive that was challenging his basic skills (buoyancy control, buddy contact, communication) and I gave him an additional task. The task (not that it matters, it could have been anything...) was to stop and hover while writing something in a note book. Just that one additional task caused him to delay giving attention to his buoyancy control and he started floating away from the bottom while he was writing in the book, to the point where he was losing focus on the big 3. By the time he started to correct, he had to give all of his attention to avoiding an unintentional ascent and in the process (a) was no longer able to communicate (b) would have lost contact with his buddy --me-- if I hadn't swum up with him and (c) was no longer in control of his buoyancy control. He also discarded my notebook in order to free up his hands, which was lost.... But that doesn't matter. What matters is what he learned.

I think anyone who has ever learned how to dive can relate to that.

So... what *could* my student have done to have remained in control there? This is where concept #2 comes into play. "Chaining". Chaining means that whatever you are doing, you need to keep coming back to the big 3 often enough that you don't lose control of them. That means that you need to "slice" your attention between tasks. In this case, my student could have written one letter (or one word) at a time and that pause to briefly give attention to the big 3 before returning to the task of writing in the book. Then write the next word and so forth.

So managing task loading means being aware of a few main concepts
- the big 3
- attention slicing
- chaining

and to balance non critical tasks using pauses in order to not lose control of the big 3.

The good news is that the amount of attention you need to give to the big 3 becomes less and less as they become more and more automated with experience. This means you can manage additional tasks better as you gain experience. However, no matter how long or how much you dive, there will always be times that you have to park a task and focus on "just diving" in order to free up attention.

I hope this makes sense to anyone who had the patience to read through it all and I hope it helps.

R..

Great post. It's good to see a well thought out overview of task loading with a strategy of control.

I learned air, depth, time, and buddy. Regardless of the priorities, dealing with task loading is a real issue and if a diver gets busy enough or focuses on a task too long they will lose control of their dive, an the result can go from embarrassing to deadly.

Bob

OK, this is a high-quality beginner thread and I most certainly don't want to hijack it. But beginners could learn the value of multi-tasking from this. Most of my diving was solo in the open ocean where you NEVER want to get blown off the wreck. "Attend to the biggest problem first" works well in this isolated situation. Such is where I got all my bad habits. Try to become part of a team and it all goes to pieces.

Caves present a different threat and require different skills.

We now return to our regular programming...

Back
Top Bottom