Death in the Blue Hole?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive computer appeared to be an older model and wore. So, my initial impression was that she was an experienced diver.
As far as speculations go, it might have been a rental computer worn by a new diver...? :idk:

Certainly a dreadful experience to come across. Good for the folks who tried even tho it sounded like a losing battle - always worth trying the best possible, then accept that you did.

Such a dreadful experience. Did anyone on your boat still want to do the dive? Any dives that day...?

*quote* Secondly, I can (just) believe that the woman left her maximum depth at a run time of 14 minutes, but I do not believe she was there for 14 minutes. The bulk of people would run their tanks empty before then, and in any case they would then be into very serious decompression, whilst all of the operators who go there maintain it is a recreational dive with no decompression.*quote*

Peter, I cannot comment on anything with regards to the depth that amigos would take someone too. What I absolutely can comment on is the depth and time of that diver. I found this post as I am still trying to find answers.

I was on the boat when the woman was pulled onboard for the revival attempt. I read her computer to understand a little what happened, as I dive with one too and wanted to do something as I was standing there while others were doing CPR.

Peter....you have 5,000+ dives, correct? So you are familiar with how a dive comp reads after a dive. It read 135' and 14 minutes. Short of downloading the profile onto a computer I cannot say for certain how long she was down at whatever depth, and you know that this dive takes 20+ minutes to complete due descent, time at max depth, ascent, safety stop and surface and you do not run out of air as the comp typically starts at 5' depth. What I can say is that given a normal time for descent and time allowed at 135' 14 total minutes was most likely not a decompression dive. This does not eliminate too fast of an ascent, though she would have hit the surface in this case before a problem. I have read recently she had a heart attack, which fits with a more advanced age and the divemaster pulling her to the surface without her group noticing. As I think this is very unfortunate, I also feel there was not gross negligence of the divemaster as she surfaced at least 15 minutes before the rest of her group. I think that an individual dove when she was not in the proper health.

My dive at the blue hole after this ordeal was 131' max depth, 26 min total and I surfaced with 1100 psi. Am I lying? I have my full profile.... Please don't jump to conclusions. I was in the boat with Jeff and we discussed his ordeal with dive operators. However, a person that make a living catering to tourists discrediting another who is not looking for any reward makes me suspicious...

But whatever, it seems that her operator was grossly negligent so who knows what the truth was? There will never be an official report - there never is.

Peter, this statement is irresponsible and offensive. There was no gross negligence in this tragedy. For you to say so without knowing any facts needlessly spreads rumors and lies about those involved. Please be more careful with your words in the future.

I know the details of this incident, but do not feel it is respectful to post them on this forum since I am not a family member of the deceased. But I will say that this was a health-related incident, NOT the result of a dive gone wrong or improper procedure.

---------- Post Merged at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Peter....you have 5,000+ dives, correct? So you are familiar with how a dive comp reads after a dive. It read 135' and 14 minutes. Short of downloading the profile onto a computer I cannot say for certain how long she was down at whatever depth, and you know that this dive takes 20+ minutes to complete due descent, time at max depth, ascent, safety stop and surface and you do not run out of air as the comp typically starts at 5' depth. What I can say is that given a normal time for descent and time allowed at 135' 14 total minutes was most likely not a decompression dive. This does not eliminate too fast of an ascent, though she would have hit the surface in this case before a problem. I have read recently she had a heart attack, which fits with a more advanced age and the divemaster pulling her to the surface without her group noticing. As I think this is very unfortunate, I also feel there was not gross negligence of the divemaster as she surfaced at least 15 minutes before the rest of her group. I think that an individual dove when she was not in the proper health.

My dive at the blue hole after this ordeal was 131' max depth, 26 min total and I surfaced with 1100 psi. Am I lying? I have my full profile.... Please don't jump to conclusions.

Matt,
Thank you for your accurate response to Peter.

---------- Post Merged at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:23 PM ----------

All too many people die in Blue Holes...

Can you tell me where you get your stats from? Deaths in the Blue Hole are not very common. Don't make sensationalist statements, especially without having facts to back them up.

Back
Top Bottom