Deaths at Eagles Nest - Homosassa FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TempUser

New
Reaction score
From Bay News 9, Tampa Two missing divers recovered from Eagles Nest Cave l Hernando County

HERNANDO COUNTY --
Hernando County Fire Rescue officials confirmed a father and son's bodies were recovered from the waters in Eagles Nest Cave on Christmas Day.
According to officials, the divers were last seen by hunters around 11 a.m.
They were recovered from 70 feet of water inside the cave.
Unable to contact the father and son, family members went searching for them and found their car stranded.
The family called 911 around 7:30 p.m.

No other news outlets seem to have anything.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, especially from Christmas.

Highwing,
I agree with your statement with the exception of I don't believe Eagles Nest is one of the sites OW instructors use. Back in the 80's Peacock and Orange Groove were used almost every weekend by local and out of state dive shops. I remember one tragedy where a group, five I believe, had graduated OW and were doing an advanced course. They had come down Friday for a Saturday class, gotten a hold of a local dive map and decided Royal Springs would be fun. They all died. As long as Training Agencies allow Open Water training in confined water this will continue. And I do understand the problem with land locked shops with only the local quarry available.

As long as OW Instructors continue to take OW Students to that site, the outcome remains predictible. The false confidence being created is shameful.

Are there really Instructors taking OW students to that site? With all the other options within an hour or two from that site for OW training....

According to friends, Spivey was a certified diver but not a certified cave diver. Sanchez was not a certified diver.
Tragic event but 100% preventable.
I can only imagine the emotions the family is going through.

Darrin Spivey and his son Dillon Sanchez went to Eagle's Nest, a popular dive site, around noon on December 25 to try out new diving equipment Dillon received for Christmas. Darrin was a certified diver -- although not a certified cave diver -- and Darren was not {certified}.

This makes me sad....and angry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom