Decompression Chamber-homemade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman,
I know a guy, who knows guy, who stole one here in Grand Rapids. :D
There is really like 4 or 5 chambers in Michigan if you really need to use one. Besides where in central Michigan do you need to attempt this dive so you try out your chamber?

Also, if you do charge for this chamber, will you also provide liability insurance. I would hate to pay for something only to get hurt and my health insurance won't cover it because I'm ignorant

I hope this is a joke

As we can all see that this is as full of **** as his septic tank is, I thought I'd ad this.

In the November issue of Powet & Motoryacht Magazine, they
did a story on Tiger Woods new Yacht and also a part of the
scuba gear on board.

They said he has a "inflatable decompression chamber aboard"

Never heard of an inflatable decompression chamber. Anyone else?

oh... See the article at http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/megayachts/1104christensen155/index1.html

Scuba stuff in about the 5th 6th, 7th paragraphs.

mike_s:
In the November issue of Powet & Motoryacht Magazine, they
did a story on Tiger Woods new Yacht and also a part of the
scuba gear on board.

They said he has a "inflatable decompression chamber aboard"

Never heard of an inflatable decompression chamber. Anyone else?

oh... See the article at http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/megayachts/1104christensen155/index1.html

Scuba stuff in about the 5th 6th, 7th paragraphs.
power&motoryacht:
I was impressed until I looked all the way aft on the top deck to starboard. There, I saw six large helium tanks—a clue to the coolest sports equipment aboard.

Helium, when combined with oxygen and nitrogen, creates what is known in the scuba world as trimix—a breathable blend that lets you dive deeper than traditional tanks full of compressed air. Helium cannot be manufactured, hence the six tanks of it on Hull 026’s top deck. They are positioned to be lowered by crane to the lazarette, then used to fill divers’ tanks at a “gas blend” table there. The entire setup cost at least $150,000, according to the project engineer who’d flown out to the Pacific Northwest from Fort Lauderdale to oversee installation. He says his company, Brownie’s Third Lung, also installed the scuba system aboard the world’s second largest private motoryacht, the 414-foot Octopus, for owner Paul Allen last year. “This is probably the next biggest one that I’ve seen,” he says. “They had 16 helium bottles and a decompression chamber (aboard Octopus).”

Hull 026 will have an inflatable decompression chamber aboard, an important safety measure for divers who push deeper than the 120-foot recreational limit. One of the deckhands aboard says his boss has never been below 140 feet but is now aiming for 200. “Anywhere there’s fish,” he says. “We like to spear fish.”
Does sound kind of weird, that is one pricey mix station as well! I guess Tiger wants to go deeper - although i would think his insurance company might have something to tell him about his premium.

I have heard of inflatable chambers, they are used extensively in high altitude for treatment of altitude sickness, they have a rating of about three to four atmospheres and fold up into a duffel bag that can fit in the trunk of a car (or on the back of a Yak)

I dont know how well thy would work for a serious case of the bends, but they may be rather effective in treatment of mild cases. I even saw a website for them once. They are made out of inflatable boat type material.

cancun mark:
I have heard of inflatable chambers, they are used extensively in high altitude for treatment of altitude sickness, they have a rating of about three to four atmospheres and fold up into a duffel bag that can fit in the trunk of a car (or on the back of a Yak)

I dont know how well thy would work for a serious case of the bends, but they may be rather effective in treatment of mild cases. I even saw a website for them once. They are made out of inflatable boat type material.
Anybody know how much a yak costs?
or where to get one?
How many yaks does it take to haul a compressor?
where do you get yak food?

Seriously,
Was this originally posted under scuba humor or was someone really trying to build a homemade decompression chamber?

If you don't really understand the forces involved, it might seem somewhat easy to do.

Please don't try this at home.

TT

We hope to have our chamber up and running by June. We received a contribution from a local tire store of some truck innertube valves. We plan on fitting them to the
tank so we can pressurize the chamber by using a simple tire inflator. Simplicity should help keep costs down.

I think some of you arn't taking the project as seriously as I'd hoped. Still, your suggestions may be useful. We probably won't have that many emergencies since the deepest lake in our area is only 18' deep. We're hoping to get medivac flights from the Great Lakes once word gets around. Those of you with the cheaper DAN insurance might remember we're here.

Local dentists offices have contributed used National Geographics and last years Better Homes Magazines for use in the chamber during those long decon hours.
This is really a community effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom