Deep Sea 3D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaBob

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have been a big fan of Howard and Michelle Hall for years, and eagerly awaited the release of his new IMAX film, Deep Sea 3D. You can find some info about the film on the Hall website CLICK HERE. The film opened at the Discovery Center in Fort Lauderdale this weekend and my wife, Lynne, and I took our 6yo granddaughter to the production this afternoon. WOW! The only thing that beats this is real diving, and through most of the film I was convinced that I was underwater (I just wasn't wet). The youngin loved the film and was really upset when it was over and we had to leave. On the way home she peppered me with questions about diving. If you want to get your kids into the sport, then by all means take them to see this movie. The only thing I wasn't wild about was the narration (Johnny and Kate sounded robotic to me). Howard got Warner Bros to sponsor this project and I hope there are more in the works. I could have easily watched another 90mins.

---Bob

I've been dying to see this.....the nearest location to me that is showing it is in Riverside, CA. That's about 1hr and 40min from me. But, I will try to set aside the time to check it out.....:D

I went to see this yesterday, even though it was a 2 hour drive to the closest IMAX, and I really enjoyed it. I am really amazed at the footage and what it took to get it (huge camera w/ only 3 minutes of film!)

My wife and I went to see this yesterday in Indianapolis. I thought it was phenomenal! The 40 minutes just flew by. All I could think of was all of the awesome diving I have yet to experience! Much to look forward to...

Two thumbs up, and my wife isn't even a diver! Coming out of the movie, she is definitely still not interested in diving, but she doesn't much like water. She said that she certainly understands why I find it so fascinating.

If it's near by, go see it. If you're an LDS, I'd suggest you buy advertising time before the showing. We have 5 LDSs in the Indianapolis area, and the newest and smallest one had a pretty good commercial run before the movie. Good move. They may not be the smallest for long!

where was it filmed at? (I'm expecting an answer saying 'the Ocean', ha ha, ok, moving on) What part of the world?

Divin'Hoosier:
All over. I know part was off of the coast of NC (wrecks), part was pacific northwest, but there also had to be another 4-6 dive sites in addition at least.

Here is a good article about the filming of the movie from Wired magazine:
http://wired.com/news/technology/0,70316-0.html?tw=wn_index_2

Thanks for the link. One scene shot in Hawaii showed a turtle being cleaned. It looked a lot like pics posted by Tortuga Roja (you there Mike?). As far as the other Pacific sites, I can only speculate.

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom