Desired Light from Mb-Sub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRTdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to see a powerful LED light mounted on a Goodman handle without an umbilical cord. This would be a great product. Maybe operate on (3) 18650 batteries in similar configuration to your X1-VB 3AA cell light?

similiar to: UTD K2 though light protrudes (sticks out) to far or Light Monkey 2.6 - 09 LED

Specifications:
800+ lumens. It should be very bright to use in a cave
3 hr minimum burn time at max power
~7 degree beam. ideal for signaling and penetration as in cave or other technical diving
mounting: secured to Goodman handle so one can quickly switch hands with the light. Not Goodman glove or other elastic type band.
Snap bolt attachment on butt of light. just like DIR lights
Length: 6'' or less; <152mm

I think an LED light that can do what the canister lights do w/out an umbilical cord is the near future. Of course I'm talking to Mb-Sub because I really like the quality of your lights.

The nearest solution i can offer is the VB-50 head with the battery housing from the PHOTON2. With this combination the burning time with max. power is approx 2 hrs.
The big advantage of the head is the possibility of signaling with a tight beam and if you want to see more you can change the beam.

Michael

Reactions: Jax
Are you suggesting that I have to buy 2 lights? That would be real expensive given that it&#8217;s the VB-50 & Photon2. Ok let&#8217;s pretend that I&#8217;m a poor cave diver. I would like to buy 1 light that can be used as a primary light because it meets or exceeds the specifications above.

Is this something you would consider designing? Do you think there would be demand for this sort of product? I certainly do. That&#8217;s why I&#8217;ve jury-rigged a powerful light onto a Goodman handle. The makeshift light works, but it could be much better.

Here's another example: RX1 Handmount
But it falls short because of beam angle, overall length, rear center snap bolt attachment point, and overall brightness.

Thanks Michael for responding and replying so quickly. It&#8217;s a privilege to hear from the general manager.

Last edited:
Hi,
you dont need to buy 2 lights of course.
You need for realisation of my commendation only the the LED-head VB-50 (not the complete VB-CAVE) and only the battery housing of the PHOTON or PHOTON2 with charger.
If you send me your email-adress, i will send you our price list and then you can see all possibilities of combination with our products.

Your wished light has a technical problem: if you want >800 Lumen with approx. 3 hrs burning time you need more than 3 pieces of AA or 18650 batteries. These batteries are to small to deliver the needed current for the wished time. This is maybe possible only with an LED without a driver with current regulation. That means that you will have the full brightness only with fully charged batteries, over the time the brightness will be reduced.

Michael

Your wished light has a technical problem: if you want >800 Lumen with approx. 3 hrs burning time you need more than 3 pieces of AA or 18650 batteries. These batteries are to small to deliver the needed current for the wished time.

I only suggested if (3) 18650 might work, not that that's what it should be. I don't know what the best batteries would be to make this happen. Anyways that's why you make the lights and I only buy them. :)

But this post is more about a desire that you would come up with a NEW stand alone light mounted on a Goodman handle. Since you've designed one of the best canister lights in the VB-50 it seems that you could create a light like this in the future. Because while the VB-50 head with Photon or Photon2 base (+ your Goodman handle) will work. How long will the batteries last? What will the burn time be with either Photon or Photon2 base? It doesn't seem like it would be very long since the VB-50 is 18W & 1250 lumens.

You already know that with a tight beam you don't need as many lumens to have it still very bright and offer great penetration. Such as the X1-VB, which looks like a light saber underwater (at 3 degree beam) and is great for signaling. But at 250 lumens it's not a primary technical light, neither was it designed to be. I surmise ~800 lumens is fine. Judging from the quality of your focusable lights, the tight beam will allow it surpass other lights. But a decent burn time (~3 hours or more) must be there, otherwise it won't be useful for the more advanced technical dives.

Danke sehr in advance Michael.

Last edited:
Hi,

i currently see no way to relize the desired light, because the industry dont have the right LED for this project.
MayBe it is possible to reduce the current consumption for the VB-50 head, but i dont like this way.
The length of the VB-50 with the PHOTON2 handle is 30 cm and with the PHOTON handle 26cm

Michael

Hi,

i currently see no way to relize the desired light, because the industry dont have the right LED for this project.
MayBe it is possible to reduce the current consumption for the VB-50 head, but i dont like this way.
The length of the VB-50 with the PHOTON2 handle is 30 cm and with the PHOTON handle 26cm

Michael

Ok if were talking desired lights:

Michael, what about a small thin light that can be mounted on light sock. I love my X1-VB as you know, but its too thick to really use in a light sock. Id love a smaller thinner light with 3degree beam only that can be easily and ergonomically mounted in the Oxycheq light sock just as light for daytime use only when looking in nooks and crannies. If you make one Ill buy one and when I lose it Ill buy another:). Just wishful thinking. Thanks Michael.

I use my X1-VB in an Oxycheq Raider 1 Light Sock - in fact, I have slipped a piece of inner tube over it to make it even slightly snug. The light is a little long but definitely works great in that configuration.. :D

I just wish they would make the new 800 lumen light with a variable beam - that would be an almost perfect light.

I use my X1-VB in an Oxycheq Raider 1 Light Sock - in fact, I have slipped a piece of inner tube over it to make it even slightly snug. The light is a little long but definitely works great in that configuration.. :D

I just wish they would make the new 800 lumen light with a variable beam - that would be an almost perfect light.

Are you using the AA or C version?

I use the AA version and although it did fit the "universal" light sock, it wasn't a good fit and I found operating the variable focus a pain.

Totally agree on a Mb-sub variable focus 800lumen model. Another wish for Michael.

I bought the X1-800 and its a nice light but I find the beam a little wide for conditions other than clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom