Destin Offshore Report - 12 & 14 May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
Date: 12 May 05
Wx: Clear, winds SE 10-15 kts, 70F in the morning, high 80F
Seas: About 2 ft and choppy on the way out. 3 ft and very choppy on the way home
Temp: 74F on the top. Starting to notice a little bit of a thermocline.

Got out of the marina by 0900. The wave model predicted 1 ft seas. The Marine forecast predicted winds less than 10 kts and variable in the morning. They were wrong. Even at 0900 the winds were over 10 and steady out of the southeast.

Dive One: We dropped anchor on the Angelina. We even threw out the tag line with anchor ball attached. I called the dive before gearing up due to a massive surface current. Tried the Awesome next. There was still quite a current, but it was not as bad. Vis was pretty good, maybe 35 ft. Not much left of the wreck which sits in a hole at 124 ft. Just 100ft from the wreck, the depth is only 95 ft. Candy shot a trigger.

Dive Two: Started to dive the Destin Liberty Ship, but a boat beat me to it and started trolling. We headed to the Barrel Barge and got one more dive in. It’s weird diving a shallow wreck and getting 45 minutes of bottom time. Candy and I have gotten use to 15-20 minute bottom times on the deeper wrecks. Candy shot a flounder.

By the time we headed in around 1600, the seas were 3 ft and I was headed east into a southeast wind and swell. I got a little wet.

Boat continues to run great.

Date: 14 May 05
Wx: Clear, winds SE 10-15 kts, 65F in the morning, high 80F
Seas: About 2 ft and choppy on the way out. 3 to 4 ft swell and a little choppy all day
Temp: 74F on the top. Still 68F on the bottom (135 ft)

Got an earlier start today. Met Subdude and Jim at the marina at 0630 and shoved off at 0710. Boggy Bayou was nice and flat. The Bay started building on the way to the pass. The Gulf had a SE swell that started out about 2 ft, but was easily 3 ft by the time we reached our first site. The swell period was not too short, so it wasn’t terrible.

Dive One: Jim and Subdude. Tried to find the Valp #2 boat. Didn’t see anything exactly on the old numbers, but saw a little relief within .01 miles. I apparently dropped the anchor between what is left of the boat and some of the culverts in the area. Subdude may give more details, but he said the boat is broken up. I think the vis was 30 ft.

Dive One: Stone and Candy. Prewitt Tug. Tug has moved due to Ivan. I will post the new coordinates in the ECRA member’s forum. I drove over the old numbers twice and saw nothing. After about 10 minutes of “freehand” searching, we started preparing a marker buoy to start an “organized” search. I put the boat in idle, but kept my eye on the bottom finder. Before we had a chance to throw the buoy overboard, we drifted over the wreck. The surface current was pretty strong, but we had 2 up and 2 down, so we weren’t as worried. The Prewitt is still upright and in fine condition. Many schools of AJ, but 99% were short. As soon as we hit the deck, we saw a Goliath Grouper which was less than 5 ft (I use Candy as my ruler), several large ‘cudas, and a few red snapper. I shot a lonely red grouper. Vis was about 30 ft.

Dive Two: Prewitt Tug again. We were hoping for some legal AJs to visit, but no luck. I shot a red snapper.

We considered a third dive on the Janet or LCM-8, but the seas were still building and the following swell was pushing the boat around like a drunken sailor. Getting through the pass was fun!

Boat ran great, but the main bilge pump was intermittent. I’ll probably buy a new pump, then work on the old one.

Great report Stone. I didn't realize Ivan had moved some of the sites out of Destin that far off. I'm Nitrox cert'd now, I'll have to get a hold of you guys one of these days and go out on a dive :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
Great report Stone. I didn't realize Ivan had moved some of the sites out of Destin that far off.

The Prewitt has moved between 100 ft and 150 ft. The Belize Queen has moved at least 150 ft. What amazes me is that these large tugs in deep water (18 and 25 miles from the Pass and 135 ft deep) moved, but the Miss Louise in shallow water (only a mile out in 60 ft) did not.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I'm Nitrox cert'd now, I'll have to get a hold of you guys one of these days and go out on a dive :D

We dive every weekend that the weather cooperates. Three dives is the norm, and it takes all day when we go out 18 - 25 miles (7 am - 5 pm). We use EAN30 and 30/15 trimix when we dive to 135 fsw. 30% O2 puts the PPO2 at about 1.5, but we don't spend the whole dive laying in the sand.

I love to hear about all of the Old Brown Marine tugs and what condition they are still in. My family owned Brown Marine and I had operated all of these boats back in the day. The Janet, Prewitt, Atlas, Miss Louise, Angelina B., Moonlighter, Zeus. I towed many of the better known wrecks out to put them where they are today, including the Dredge Avocet, the MD Whiteman (Mad Dog Wreck), the Whiteman #9, the boxcars off of Destin, several old barges with old gasoline storage tanks strapped to them.

The Prewitt, Janet and Atlas were all 86' Army ST Tugs and were all alike and all built in the 40's during WWII.

Any photos anyone has of these wrecks would be appreciated.

Steven M. Bryan, Sr.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom