Dinagat Island - a side trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know of a place to stay in the island. Dive yes, definitely.

Since SBSR charges the same dive rate as a regular dive, i'd still stay in Padre Burgos and endure the 3 hour trip. 5 divers, calm seas and good weather are the norm.

it looks closer to surigao del norte. i wonder how far it is by boat if coming from surigao. chance to dive it for more than just one day if its close by. will also benefit from local knowledge if diving with a local dive op. will also save another 3 hour trip of driving from tacloban to sbsr.

it looks closer to surigao del norte. i wonder how far it is by boat if coming from surigao. chance to dive it for more than just one day if its close by. will also benefit from local knowledge if diving with a local dive op. will also save another 3 hour trip of driving from tacloban to sbsr.
go to the original thread in the main forum. I think they traveled something like 2 1/2 hours by banca. Contact Ellen, some of her clients belong to that www.surigaodiveclub.multiply.com and Evie, who went to Surigao/Siargao early December, I think.

ps- mag gym ka, mag aral ka mag-surf and pa picture ka ....:D

edit/teka: here it is and quoting Lyndon C

"i would love to make a trip report but really, it was just a commando type of a diving trip. brought my own equipment including the weights and tanks and just took a commercial trip (big outrigger) from surigao to tubajon, dinagat is. rented a small outrigger to bring me to where the local fisherfolks fished. i would be posting more photos once im back home since i'm still here in cebu (made 2 dives in mactan yesterday)

"x x as for the dive operation, right now its still non existent (true commercial operation). the best thing is to join the club in our not so frequent dive exploration . or rent tanks, weights and boat from one of the members."

pps - Commando ata talaga, solo diver? In your case you have a buddy, your camera.

Last edited:
haha! internet surfing na lang.

yup i remember someone posting about surigao diving. i found a website that says dinagat is an hour away from surigao by motorboat. but i'm not sure if that meant surigao city. its 2.5 hours from siargao.

Yep, Look 4 Jake Miranda & Pancho sa FB friends ko. Ellen knows them also.
I love Siargao!!!!

Surigao became the newest diving destination in the Philippines last year with the opening of Punta Bilar Dive Center, a small but absolutely lucky dive shop with its house reef just sitting right across its rear door with corals and fish as shallow as five feet in the water!

Get yourself on a plane to Surigao now and we'll take care of your diving right when you step on to the Surigao airport tarmac! Our house reef and dive center is just 15 minutes from the airport. Cheap accommodation and food too!

Siargao is an island three hours from Surigao City. So is Dinagat. There are nearby islands as well accessible in ten to thirty minutes. There are world-class quality diving spots in these places.

The best part of Surigao diving is you will feel like being the first to dive in the area as truthfully you are discovering the reefs with us!

Most of the pictures you will find in the facebook account of "Surigao Dive-Club"

Find dive center and reservation info by googling "surigao diving" and you click on the first or second hit!

Some of the notable dive sites in Surigao worth visiting! Definitely dives to experience:

DIVE SITES

FUN DIVE

Punta Bilar House Reef

-A two kilometer stretch of corals just 5 minutes from the city center. You can do ten dives here and still want to dive some more. Open 24 hours a day! Get to meet Aris, our resident giant frogfish and thousands of other fish and critters. A total of seven dive sites in one reef!

ADVENTURE DIVES (One day each good for two to four dives depending on how addicted you are)

Cantrasa Shoal

-500 meter by 300 meter sea mount just 5 minutes from the dive center. Because of fast currents in the area, this is only for the brave and experienced divers. Once you dive Cantrasa, you’ll never want to surface! Fish, corals, caverns from 30 ft to 140 ft or deeper..and get lucky with shark and GIANT trevally sightings!

Basul Island

-Basul Island has reef systems that challenge advanced divers because of unpredictable currents buts lots of things to see. Imagine Gibraltar with a tropical reef!

Malimono Sanctuary

-30 minute drive from the City and get to see schools of trevally, jacks, etc.. 100%

Taganaan Wall dives

-30 minute drive from the City and you will be rewarded with a lagoon of limestone rocks and islets for endless wall dives!

Nonoc Jetty dives

-A jetty dive that showcases the wonders and beauty of something preserved for 30 years! We just had a national TV crew visit it this week!

DIVING SAFARI (Overnight)

Hagakhak Island

-Thirty kilometers north of Surigao accessible by private boat. Pristine Boracay type beach. A private island and sanctuary. Overnight alone in paradise. What more can you ask for?

OTHER DIVING AREAS NEAR SURIGAO

Siargao

-A diving destination by itself, google 'siargao diving'

Agusan Norte

-A diving destination down south, we recommend Nico Calo of Dive Agusan located at Carmen near Butuan City, call +639272689184

Cagayan de Oro and Camiguin Island

-We recommend Scuba De Oro, MSDT PADI Amir Elazegui has everything from a city-based scuba shop to a speedboat and all the best connections in the area!

Add Surigao Dive-Club in Facebook and get bulletins for dives in Surigao!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom