DIR-F Class Report: New Diver’s Perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edparris

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ve read several posts from advanced divers who were kind enough to share their experiences with DIRF. Given that this is a fundamentals class I thought other new divers might benefit from a less experienced perspective (I have a total of 29 dives including all training dives). All of these opinions are from the sessions taught by Bob Sherwood & Ed Hayes (assisting) at Dutch Springs PA in Oct, 2005.

First off, this is a fantastic course with an abundance of good material for new divers. I can’t think of a type of OW dive that wouldn’t be more enjoyable with improvements in the diver’s safety, buddy skills, situational awareness, buoyancy, trim and propulsion. If you’re thinking that DIRF is some kind of technical diving class it’s not.

For me the amount of effort/skill/ability required to meet the standards of DIRF is AT LEAST an order of magnitude greater than what was required to pass my other courses. (I purposely said at least because I will not really know how much effort was required until I actually manage to meet the standards.) DO NOT TAKE MY STATEMENTS AS A CRITICISM OF MY NAUI COURSES. In fact I had very good instructors, (a fact which was commented on by the GUE instructors). The difference is that while the skills in my OW classes could be checked off independently all the skills in DIRF need to be completed without sacrificing anything else. For example you can pass a NAUI mask clear skill on a platform with an instructor effectively eliminating your need to managing your buddy awareness, buoyancy and trim. At DIRF the same mask clear skill was to be demonstrated in proper trim, at the correct depth, in contact with your buddies while keeping track of how much time you have remaining in the dive... . The two 17 hour days and one 12 hour day with only breaks to use the head wore me out (we ate during lecture.) A true interest in improving your diving (not proving yourself) is essential.

The video critique is GREAT for new divers. To be blunt the only people I see having a real problem with the video critique are people who are expecting to look really good on the tape. Hopefully new divers are expecting to make a few mistakes and shouldn’t be anything other than thankful when someone points them out. The instructors critique was direct to the point but not in any way demeaning. Bob and Ed spent just as much (if not more) time pointing out correct sections of the dive as they do identifying flaws and ALL critiques include suggestions of ways to fix the problem. Just to give you a sense of what it was like here’s my favorite video moment: We had just finished shooting a SMB when Bob signals “You, OOA”. My buddy stuffed his regulator into my mouth almost as quick as I could spit mine out (thanks partner) and we spent the next several seconds cleaning up our hoses. Just as I was thinking “Hey that wasn’t too bad, we just completed an unexpected long hose deployment” Bob signals, “Your, SMB, ?”. Uh oh!:34: The video of what follows was hysterical. Imagine two divers first looking at each other to see who’s holding the spool, then the camera zooms in to catch the completely ad-hoc “I haven’t got a clue” response from the buddy team followed by a good 30 seconds of frantic head tilting looking in every which direction for the dangling spool, including down. Why I was looking down for a SMB we had just shot to the surface is still beyond me but it made sense at the time :wink: . After that we got to rewind the tape and watch the previously unnoticed spool bobbing merrily just above our heads as we completed the long hose deployment. After the class had finished laughing we had a good discussion about how to correct our SMB deployment procedures such that we were still able to address an emergency situation.

I would also suggest you ignore all the Internet blabbing about anti-social/cocky DIR diver attitude and Kool-Aid and spend some time trying to get to know the folks you’re considering taking a course with. Bob, Ed and the other GUE divers who were hanging out at the quarry were really nice people. The folks I met were not elitist, boastful or arrogant in fact they were just like other good divers, always willing to talk about their interest and willing to lend a hand whenever asked and before you knew to ask (thanks guys). The focus on team diving is apparent out of the water as well and the group was very close knit. Bob and Ed naturally extended this close knit attitude to the students offering to provide guidance/support outside of the workshop.

Don’t worry so much about the equipment configuration. If you want to prepare for the class contact your potential instructor and get some advice from the source on what things can be worked on before the workshop. Bob was able to provide fixes for simple things and provided loaner equipment when necessary to improve the learning experience. The Halcyon equipment line was not jammed down our throat and the emphasis was on selecting the best equipment for the dive.

Anyway this is getting long so I’ll wrap up by saying I got out of the course exactly what I wanted. It opened my eyes to a whole new set of skills and abilities I can develop to become a better diver. If you’re new and interested in the same thing I highly recommend you call up some of the GUE folks in your area and see if you can attend. It will be well worth your time.

Thank you for the report. I'm very much looking forward to doing the course in November , and I'm only a little ahead of you (40+ dives). And I have to agree with the comment about the DIR divers . . . the people I have met here have been welcoming and supportive and VERY good divers!

I just took rectriox with sherwood earlier this month. He's a great instructor. Very nice guy, but he's uncompromising on standards and pushes the class and himself hard. Full 12+ hours days are the norm. And he clearly knows his ****.

ed, it was great watching you guys go through class...do as I still am doing, practice, practice, practice. Get the skill set down. If you ever want to come up to new england and dive drop me a line.

Great write-up Ed. I think you conveyed pretty much what the 5 of us were thinking. I hope to dive again with you soon.

- D

Awsome write-up Ed. It was great doing the class with you and I am looking forward to practicing more with you. You were a great buddy.

I think Ed sums up perfectly what we all (well, at least me) thought of the class and the opinion of DIR/GUE...

edparris:
The difference is that while the skills in my OW classes could be checked off independently all the skills in DIRF need to be completed without sacrificing anything else. For example you can pass a NAUI mask clear skill on a platform with an instructor effectively eliminating your need to managing your buddy awareness, buoyancy and trim. At DIRF the same mask clear skill was to be demonstrated in proper trim, at the correct depth, in contact with your buddies while keeping track of how much time you have remaining in the dive...
An excellent point. So little of the class had to do with gear as everyone thinks, but more about "team" and "situational awareness".

edparris:
The two 17 hour days and one 12 hour day with only breaks to use the head wore me out
You and me both :) If you don't have aching muscles as the end of this class, then you're just not doing it right... so to speak.

edparris:
here’s my favorite video moment: We had just finished shooting a SMB when Bob signals “You, OOA”. My buddy stuffed his regulator into my mouth almost as quick as I could spit mine out (thanks partner) and we spent the next several seconds cleaning up our hoses. Just as I was thinking “Hey that wasn’t too bad, we just completed an unexpected long hose deployment” Bob signals, “Your, SMB, ?”. Uh oh!:34: The video of what follows was hysterical. Imagine two divers first looking at each other to see who’s holding the spool, then the camera zooms in to catch the completely ad-hoc “I haven’t got a clue” response from the buddy team followed by a good 30 seconds of frantic head tilting looking in every which direction for the dangling spool, including down. ...After that we got to rewind the tape and watch the previously unnoticed spool bobbing merrily just above our heads as we completed the long hose deployment.
A classic moment indeed. Thank goodness it didn't get wrapped around my first stage or something :)

edparris:
I would also suggest you ignore all the Internet blabbing about anti-social/cocky DIR diver attitude and Kool-Aid and spend some time trying to get to know the folks you’re considering taking a course with. Bob, Ed and the other GUE divers who were hanging out at the quarry were really nice people. The folks I met were not elitist, boastful or arrogant in fact they were just like other good divers, always willing to talk about their interest and willing to lend a hand whenever asked and before you knew to ask (thanks guys). The focus on team diving is apparent out of the water as well and the group was very close knit. Bob and Ed naturally extended this close knit attitude to the students offering to provide guidance/support outside of the workshop.
well said.

I had a great time in that class. None of the students had more than 60 dives. That should be a good indicator that this is not some advanced course in which you need to be some great diver. Quite the contrary. Ed had the fewest dives of any of us and was, in my opinion, the best of the students as far as trim and other key areas. Bad habits are easier to break in newer divers. I was so used to not being in trim, that I am finding it hard to do it correctly. When I would get in good trim position, I would feel like I was going to flip head over and "correct" myself into bad trim.

I may try and put a write-up of the course as well, but I think Ed did a great job in putting down my general feelings about the weekend, the class, the instructors, and the DIR mindset in general.

Now, could someone pass me the kool-aid? :wink:

Chris

Thanks, Ed and Chris, for the excellent write-up. It is obviously an invaluable learning experience to be taught correctly, and then provided with immediate (and safe) opportunities to practice while stressed with realistic scenarios. I'm sure there will be laughter a plenty from my class as the inevitable unfolds... and bobs merrily over our heads! Great story... thanks for the review and encouragement.
Claudette

(TSandM is on deck for Nov. fundies (although she's started the homestudy program in her kitchen :), and I'm in the hole for December in L.A.)

Great write up, Ed
It was a great class (also entertaining)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom