DIR: God's gift to diving or Hell spawn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least Pug had the maturity to drop the subject and suggest we go diving. Why don't you?

Originally posted by large_diver
I was kind of interested in seeing greg's messages (for a good laugh), but the "censors" have apparently nuked them.....;-)

LOL -- Not sure why you're attacking me now.....

I actually think the "Halcyon Marketing Ploy" question is a valid one. PADI and other agencies are frequently accused of putting the almighty dollar ahead of ensuring quality (and meaningful) training.

GUE may indeed be a non--profit agency, but Halcyon and Extreme Exposure are not and they are all related. Jarrod Jablonski is the president of GUE and the CEO of Halcyon. EE is the retail arm of Halcyon -- same ownership.

FWIW, I am a GUE and DIR supporter, but for folks to say that there is no financial connection between the DIR movement and Halcyon seems to be stretching the truth.....

I find it interesting that the moderators choose to allow some threads to drift WAY, WAY off topic, and allow the slamming of NAUI, PADI, SDI and SSI. Talk abounds of LDS' only caring about money, etc. But one poster has a comment that is unflattering about DIR and it's connection to Halcyon and the moderators squash it. As moderators, I think it is important that you do not prevent the free exchange of ideas, whether or not they agree with your own. The only way we improve is to foster an open forum where people have the right to express their opinions. Especially when you engage in the censoring of opinions that don't necessarily agree with your own.

sharpenu,

1) No one is slandering these LDSs, or any of the agencies. People are stating opinions, some of which are negative. Opinions are undebatable, and are welcome. I can say, all day long, "it seems to me that Halcyon made up DIR to sell their crap," and it's perfectly okay. If, on the other hand, I say "Halcyon made up DIR to sell their crap," I deserve to have my hand slapped. One is a statement of a negative opinion, one is a falsehood. There is a fundamental difference.

2) The moderators encouraged Greg to continue posting, so long as he could resist the temptation to slander. The moderator made a point to say, quite specifically, "we do value you're [sic] opinion."

3) There was no act of censorship, especially not on the grounds that the moderator simply disagreed with what Greg said. The moderator moved to stop Greg from slandering. Greg stated, as fact, that DIR is a marketing ploy by Halcyon, and that DIR courses require students to disburse evangelical material. Neither of those staments are anything but lies. Civil and well-run forums should encourage opinion and discussion, but resist slander and falsehood. I think the goal was well-met.

- Warren

:argue:

For the record, I deleted my own posts. One of the reasons I frequent this board is the fact that it does have moderators that keep it from turning into an endless, pointless, tit-for-tat slug fest :boxing: The moderators told all 3 of us to stop, and although I didn't like the way I was singled out, I stopped. Also, for the record, my original post WAS my OPINION, acidic and sarcastic as it may have been,:flame:it was not intended to be taken as fact. :peace:

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
sharpenu,

1) No one is slandering these LDSs, or any of the agencies. People are stating opinions, some of which are negative. Opinions are undebatable, and are welcome. I can say, all day long, "it seems to me that Halcyon made up DIR to sell their crap," and it's perfectly okay. If, on the other hand, I say "Halcyon made up DIR to sell their crap," I deserve to have my hand slapped. One is a statement of a negative opinion, one is a falsehood. There is a fundamental difference.

2) The moderators encouraged Greg to continue posting, so long as he could resist the temptation to slander. The moderator made a point to say, quite specifically, "we do value you're [sic] opinion."

3) There was no act of censorship, especially not on the grounds that the moderator simply disagreed with what Greg said. The moderator moved to stop Greg from slandering. Greg stated, as fact, that DIR is a marketing ploy by Halcyon, and that DIR courses require students to disburse evangelical material. Neither of those staments are anything but lies. Civil and well-run forums should encourage opinion and discussion, but resist slander and falsehood. I think the goal was well-met.

- Warren

This was why. :whack: When you insult someone, :grrr: what do you expect? :fight: Now, can we drop it and go on to something else? :peace:

Originally posted by large_diver
I was kind of interested in seeing greg's messages (for a good laugh), but the "censors" have apparently nuked them.....;-)

LOL -- Not sure why you're attacking me now.....

Originally posted by Greg G.
One of the reasons I frequent this board is the fact that it does have moderators that keep it from turning into an endless, pointless, tit-for-tat slug fest :boxing:

Me too...

At first I was offended by Greg's post....
And then I realized the post was because Greg was offended....
By DIR....
We have it worked out....
It will be OK....
And I actually think we have accomplished something here....

Now I would like to pose a suggestion for a old thread to be discussed in a new way....

I would like to get past the offense and offensiveness and get a real discussion going on:

"What is wrong with the DIR configuration for my kind of diving"

I would like to get rational (as opposed to emotional) feedback without rancor, hyperbole, and ad hominem attack....

I would also like to respond with counter points....

Could we do this????
Help me formulate a decent thread title.

Also, I really get a kick out of those animated icons. As for a thread title, why not just simply "Why I'm not DIR"?:think:

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Me too...

At first I was offended by Greg's post....
And then I realized the post was because Greg was offended....
By DIR....
We have it worked out....
It will be OK....
And I actually think we have accomplished something here....

Now I would like to pose a suggestion for a old thread to be discussed in a new way....

I would like to get past the offense and offensiveness and get a real discussion going on:

"What is wrong with the DIR configuration for my kind of diving"

I would like to get rational (as opposed to emotional) feedback without rancor, hyperbole, and ad hominem attack....

I would also like to respond with counter points....

Could we do this????
Help me formulate a decent thread title.

Originally posted by Greg G.
why not just simply "Why I'm not DIR"?:think:

My concern with that as a title it could be just an invitation to launch into a polemic against DIR without giving specifics that can be delt with....

My idea is to elicit concrete reasons why a particular element of DIR would not work for a certain kind of diving....

Of course my intent is to see if I can provide an answer but not just to pick holes in someone elses reasoning....

What do you think of:
"Why DIR won't work for me"

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom