DIR: God's gift to diving or Hell spawn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got through reading Gary Gentile's Technical Diving Handbook, and I was wondering if any of you out there had read it and what you thought of it. It seems that he is definitly not DIR, but he does share some of their ideas, and I don't think you can argue his success and abilities as a tech diver, but according to what I have read about the DIR way of thinking, he should be dead by now...but he isn't is he?

No, he isn't dead. I heard from him just the other day.

Gary's ideas, like the DIR methods, have evolved over time and are what works for him. As you probably noted he says fairly regularly that one should adapt what works and not take anything as gospel as far as configuration goes.

Both methods obviously work since, as you say, Gary is alive and kicking after a whole bunch of wreck dives.

I always enjoy Gary's writing. I like the way he uses humor to get his point across sometimes and uses real world examples other times. I have adapted some of his methods for myself but I don't do everything the way he does. In some cases I like the DIR way better. In many cases, the two are the same.

Tom

Originally posted by TRUETEXAN
...but according to what I have read about the DIR way of thinking, he should be dead by now...but he isn't is he?
I know a lot of people that refuse to wear a seatbelt and they're not dead, either.

Roak

I like Gary's books too. I like his approch to the subject mater and the humor he uses throughout. I also like the fact that he present the info in such a way as to inform you, without telling you you must do it that way, or die.

Ty

Where might I find this book? Also could someone tell me a little bit about Gary?

Easy there Roak, where did that come from? Calm down a little, it is going to be okay, I promise. Well I take it that you either don't like Gary Gentile, or you don't like his way of diving, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I have noticed that there are a lot of DIR folks that do not like him or his ways, but when you look at the system he uses, it has come about the exact same way that DIR has, but it isn't DIR. How then can one explain how he is able to do the things he does and is still here to tell us about it? It is because his system is an excellent one and it WORKS , just like the DIR system does, and just as well. I was very interested to see what everyone had to say about him, and I had a pretty good idea what some of the responses would be from some of the DIR guys and gals. I personally think that diving deep air the way he does is not wise, but as far as his thoughts on gear configuration and dive techniques are concerned, I agree with him.

I will have to second Roak's comment. Just because you get away with careless behavior does not mean that it is a good thing to do. I would add that the grim reaper hasn't come calling for Gary YET.

omar

He calls for all of us eventually. I'd be interested to know what you consider careless behavior by Gary? I do believe that he's primarily diving trimix rather than air these days, certainly on the really deep stuff.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom