Distribution block question.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I would need to run a spare reg on both sides or have a QD attached so that I can change out the reg to the good side. Did I get that right?

I think you've got it. The Z system seems to me to be a complicated solution to an almost non-existent problem. So far, I've always set up my sidemount system for mixed team diving, with a a long hose on my right tank and a short hose with a bungeed second stage on the left. I'll donate the long those if I'm breathing it, and unclip it and donate it if I'm not. If unclipping it takes too long, or a panicked diver grabs it while it's clipped off, it will come free easily, since the bolt snap is attached to the hose via the little break-away gadget that Go Sidemount sells. When it comes time for the advanced course and tighter restrictions, the long hose will be replaced by a second short hose, since there won't be any backmount divers in the area.

The bottomline is... if swapping a regulator on occassion while reading pressure from two seperate gauges creates too much task loading, you have no business diving two tanks. You have no business diving sidemount. You have no business trying to troubleshoot the most convoluted, abomination of a sidemount rig which attempts to fix a non-problem by adding a mish-mash of extra rigging in bad placement - and still requiring you to be able to handle a second detached(or bungeed) regulator incase of emergency.

The Z system just honestly is not the answer for any realworld diving.

Goodness gracious, Matt, tell us what you REALLY think? :)

I'm a pretty died-in-the-wool DIR diver, and I understand the motives to try to keep the basic approach to managing gas situations the same, but I do really think this system introduces a whole lot of complexity that could cause problems (and we all know, if we dive enough, that anything that CAN cause problems, eventually will).

TNRonin, the setup includes two QDs -- both tanks are plumbed into the distribution block via QDs. They are actually not difficult to attach and detach underwater, or at least they aren't with bare hands; the only time I dove the Z-system was in a pool. If you have additional regs bungied to the tanks, you have a quick way to get gas if you have to disconnect, but you really don't want to dive sidemount cave that way, because you don't want stuff that can catch or hang up on those tanks.

Goodness gracious, Matt, tell us what you REALLY think? :)

I'm a pretty died-in-the-wool DIR diver, and I understand the motives to try to keep the basic approach to managing gas situations the same, but I do really think this system introduces a whole lot of complexity that could cause problems (and we all know, if we dive enough, that anything that CAN cause problems, eventually will).

TNRonin, the setup includes two QDs -- both tanks are plumbed into the distribution block via QDs. They are actually not difficult to attach and detach underwater, or at least they aren't with bare hands; the only time I dove the Z-system was in a pool. If you have additional regs bungied to the tanks, you have a quick way to get gas if you have to disconnect, but you really don't want to dive sidemount cave that way, because you don't want stuff that can catch or hang up on those tanks.

Well I'm not wanting or planning to dive caves. And in retrospect ya this is why I posted the question to learn. Thanks for the responses. Suprbugman, I've sent you a PM with my thoughts. You don't need to respond to my thread any further. I'd really like to keep the thread on topic. Not stink it up with collateral BS.

I'm a pretty die hard DIR fan myself and I see the benefits of the z system from a team protocol situation, but that's where it pretty much ends. Generally, I think that the traditional sidemount regulator set up is the best current solution for side mount diving.

Well I'm not wanting or planning to dive caves. And in retrospect ya this is why I posted the question to learn. Thanks for the responses. Suprbugman, I've sent you a PM with my thoughts. You don't need to respond to my thread any further. I'd really like to keep the thread on topic. Not stink it up with collateral BS.

Maybe you should post in the DIR forum if you don't wish to receive non DIR answers.

Maybe you should post in the DIR forum if you don't wish to receive non DIR answers.

huh?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The learning curve on Z-system sidemount is not any more worse than starting out on conventional backmount manifolded doubles for the first time --the valve drills on z-system are actually much simpler; distribution block failure drills take some practice, but since this is a low pressure manifold (i.e. compared to standard HP backmount manifold & isolation valve and the catastrophic all gas lost event of shearing-off an isolation valve --Yeah Lynne, AG knows about that one too) you've got some time to hook-up a QC6 back-up regulator or deploy a redundant hosed 2nd stage reg from a sidemount tank before you disconnect both QC6's from the distribution block (and besides, you've always got a buddy for donation, even if you're in a restriction --right Lynne???) . The advantage is that you still retain fundamental dir/hogarthian long hose w/ necklaced secondary technique while implementing sidemount configuration --which is more important for me and my mixed team of SE Asian Indo-Pacific Wreck Diver Buddies in backmount.

Used the Z-system sidemount for the first time for a three week trip in Chuuk Lagoon & Palau last Nov-Dec '11 --even a Razor2 SM diver was impressed with the sturdier wing & harness attachment design of the Z-system, and commented on the poor placement of the oral inflation valve on the Razor2 . . .too exposed, vulnerable to cutting and an entanglement/snag hazard in a wreck overhead. My Razor 2 buddy initially pointed out these faults --ON HIS OWN WING-- in comparison side-by-side with the Z-system. . .

kevrumbo's Photos - Unified Team Diving

Last edited:
Kevin, I think I look at the whole thing from the point of view that one wouldn't dive sidemount where sidemount wasn't needed; and where it IS needed, is where getting gas from a buddy, or even solving your own problems may be most difficult. Did you read Jill Heinerth's series of lessons from getting wedged in a restriction? THAT's the kind of circumstance I'm thinking about for sidemount, and also places where just passing through can result in zero viz, no matter how careful you are.

I know Andrew's arguments for the system, and I respect him enormously. I looked at it, tried it in the pool, thought about it quite a bit (because keeping the protocols the same is attractive) and decided that the scenario of disconnecting hoses and trying to pull a second stage out of my pocket in a restriction in zero viz was more than I was willing to contemplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom