Dive Accident on Belize Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to ScubaBoard - quite the first post! Glad you are around to tell your story.

One of the items that may be missed in the whole adventure is the "trust me" aspect. Conditons were poor, but you deferred to the captain. I suspect many, many divers do the same each day on vacation. Perhaps, as part of that trust, you had hoped they would do more to prevent the problems you encountered. I hope others learn from your post about the pitfalls in trusting others with your own life and safety.

Best wishes for a full, complete, and quick recovery.

Sorry, Jan, but when the Captain opens the dive deck, that means you have permission to go diving, not that you must, should, need, or have to go diving. The Captain is not responsible for your skills, personal health, gear configuration, or lack thereof. The Captain's job is to get you safely to the dive site, set up the boat in a proper manner in accordance with their own internal procedures (which you may have reviewed, but probably didn't before the dive), and provide a trained staff to help you when you get in over your head, as it were. It is not the Captain's job to evaluate your diving skills, limit your diving to confined water like conditions, or evaluate your medical fitness for diving.

Conditions change out in the big ocean. Just because conditions were suitable for diving when he opened the dive deck for diving doesn't mean that conditions will remain static for the hour or so of your dive. One thing we can say about the weather, if you don't like it, just wait a minute.

If there is one thing I have learned about divers in my 20 or so years of working on liveaboards, people lose their minds when you place a camera in their hands. Responsible photographers know and take responsibility for this and do the things that they need to do to keep themselves alive when they forget to check their air, or get in a current, or fail to remove their ankle weights when the crap is hitting the fan.

When we sign up to go on a liveaboard, we put our big girl panties on and understand that we're doing diving that is more remote from help and more adventurous than walking off the rocks in Bonaire. The ocean has currents and waves and toothy fish and things that sting and lots and lots of ways to get hurt. That's why we go on liveaboards. You'd probably be a lot safer in the LDS pool, but it would be boring as hell.

I think you should write a very nice thank you note to Aggressor Fleet, to the Captain, and to the crew of the Belize Aggressor who undoubtedly saved your life at the cost of hundreds of dollars of fuel to get you to the hospital in Belize City. I also think you should apologize to your fellow divers and passengers on the Aggressor for that week for missing any dives (if they did) while they had to run you in. Last, I'd ask one of the mods to delete this entire thread because it does a gross disservice to the folks at Aggressor Fleet who work very hard to provide an adventure for divers and a chance for folks to see a part of the world that only fishermen and wealthy yachties would know if it weren't for their efforts. But hey, that's just me.

Glad you're ok. No I don't see any fault with the op. I've called dives for me because I didn't agree with the Capt, and DM that the sea was diveable at the time. Unless you are in very good shape swimming against currents is not something one should be doing. Entering boats in rough seas in also something for the young and fit. By the way are you a reporter? "Additionally, I had been using one of their regulators. I am not sure that it was delivering enough oxygen".

I hope you are still with us, Jan, reading everything and taking it all in.

Having read all the posts again, I have to agree with a nice letter of thanks, maybe with a nice tip for the Captain and DM and a fat check for the third world hospital who rendered your care. I am sure they could use it.

I am very glad that you are okay, Jan.

Thank you for posting on ScubaBoard.

My preliminary guess is that the operator bears no legal responsibility here.

Sometimes things go wrong and no one is to blame.

Keep diving.

Last, I'd ask one of the mods to delete this entire thread because it does a gross disservice to the folks at Aggressor Fleet who work very hard to provide an adventure for divers and a chance for folks to see a part of the world that only fishermen and wealthy yachties would know if it weren't for their efforts. But hey, that's just me.

There is a great deal of good information here that would be lost. A good deal of information that others would miss out on. The message of accountability and being responsible for your own actions is loud and clear in the responses. This world needs as much of that as it can get.

. Last, I'd ask one of the mods to delete this entire thread because it does a gross disservice to the folks at Aggressor Fleet who work very hard to provide an adventure for divers and a chance for folks to see a part of the world that only fishermen and wealthy yachties would know if it weren't for their efforts. But hey, that's just me.

I disagree I think it speaks well for the Aggressor Fleet but maybe not so well for the OP.
Now I might agree it be moved to the whine and cheese forum:wink:

Sounds like you had a bad day, I'm glad you came out of it OK but I would hardly call that a dive accident, maybe a dive boo boo.

Remember that the OP had a heart attack due to aspiration while diving. That would certainly count as an accident while diving.

The rest of your post (and others) about accountability for oneself and responsibility for one's actions and choices I agree with.

Back
Top Bottom