Dive Accident on Belize Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP: Any diver can thumb a dive at any time for any reason. Its as simple as that.

A diagnosis of a heart attack implies that some heart muscle died. Are you saying that, even after the incident, your heart function is at/near 100%?

Many people that have MI, especially NSTEMI, will not have any noticable heart damage. Their EF will remain normal and for all intents and purposes the heart returns to the baseline it was at before the insult. Also, the saltwater aspiration and MI probably were not a cause and effect situation. I would guess that probably the MI was a result of the strenuous swim against current and THEN came the aspiration secondary to exhaustion from the swim. Just a guess.

Jordan.

We made the decision to turn back early. We were doing our stop under the boat. We even saw the ladders when we were in 30 ft.
This decision is curious to me. You turned the dive early, so your nitrogen load was less than expected. Yet you chose to do a "stop" at 30 feet? Why? Why not a direct ascent to the standard 15' safety stop (and the "deco bar" that the Belize Aggressor usually hangs over the side)? Or a direct ascent to the surface, skipping the optional safety stop, if you were feeling distressed?

We came up to 20 feet and then hung out at 20 foot for several more minutes. Then the boat disappeared from sight. We tried to wait there, thinking it would swing back. It did not.
Waiting for the boat to swing back makes sense—in the absence of current. If you're fighting current anyway, you might as well proceed to the boat.

When we realized there was no way to get back to the boat, we surfaced and signaled for help. We both inflated our BCs and waited for the rescue raft.
Good decision.

When the dive instructor got to us, I handed up to him my camera and the weight pockets from the BCD. I was not able to get up in the raft with the tank and other gear on, so the dive instructor removed my BC, tank and regulator. When he removed my BCD and tank, I sank (ankle weights) as a wave raised the raft over my head.
I often dive off small boats and zodiacs that require me to doff my gear before getting back in. The weight belt goes first, then the BC—after each step I am positively buoyant. A gear configuration that leaves you negative after doffing your weight belt and BC is a bad idea, in my opinion; being surprised that you're negative at that point is certainly a bad idea.

I was under the raft gasping for air. I guess that’s when I aspirated so much sea water. As I was trying to kick to get a hold of the grasp handle on the side of the raft, it seemed it was just inches out of reach as each wave raised the raft out of my reach. After multiple trys to grab on, it seemed impossible. At that moment, I gave up. I thought there was no way possible to get into the raft. The dive instructor did not give up on me. He kept saying “you will get up here” and “and we are going to do this”. I am so thankful for his calm, but forceful confidence that encouraged me to give it all I could to get into that raft. I know he was bailing water and trying to maneuver the raft as he helped my husband up into the raft. He kept a level head and made a rescue.
He sounds like a good person to have around in an emergency.

We trusted the Captain to know the conditions as he is on these waters frequently. I know ultimately it is my responsibility to decide if a dive is safe for me, but the captain said it was ok. Next, the current was so strong there was a long dely in getting the raft out to us. They had to use 3 men to pull the raft up to the boat. I believe they had an electric winch, but didn't use it. Next, they only sent one guy in the raft to rescue us. I am 6 foot 1 inch - they should have known, he would need help getting me up into the raft. Further, with 2 guys in the rescue raft, they could have pulled me in with all my gear on. I would not have aspirated sea water and would not have had a heart attack.
You say you know that it is ultimately your responsibility, but then you want the captain to take responsibility for your decision to dive, and you want the crew to take responsibility for not being able to drag you into the boat fully equipped! The latter seems like an extraordinary expectation to me. The onus of responsibility begins before you book a trip like this. You have to be fit and experienced enough for the dives you undertake, and experienced enough to recognize the dives you shouldn't undertake.

I am wondering if any one else sees that the dive operator had some share of responsibility in this accident. I like to hear what you think.
It sounds like a professional effort by the Aggressor crew, in my opinion.

It is interesting that the OP is getting a bit more sympathy on D2D, although very few agree with her request for apology from Aggressor. She has gone back and explained her MI and enzyme levels following her MI, and I'm sure I will understand what she is saying about it in the future, I don't have to yet. She seems quite well spoken and her follow up posts do not come across like her origional post does. They are being much nicer to her there than we are. IJS.

They are being much nicer to her there than we are. IJS.
I certainly hope my post—like most of the others, I think—is taken in the spirit it was intended: constructive and respectful. Which is nice, in my opinion.

I certainly hope my post—like most of the others, I think—is taken in the spirit it was intended: constructive and respectful. Which is nice, in my opinion.

Your post was nice. My post was harsh. I'm looking at it from a whole 'nother perspective than most.

Welcome to ScubaBoard - quite the first post! Glad you are around to tell your story.
One of the items that may be missed in the whole adventure is the "trust me" aspect. Conditons were poor, but you deferred to the captain. I suspect many, many divers do the same each day on vacation. Perhaps, as part of that trust, you had hoped they would do more to prevent the problems you encountered. I hope others learn from your post about the pitfalls in trusting others with your own life and safety.
Best wishes for a full, complete, and quick recovery.

Thanks for posting your experience, in all honesty I don't see any glaring omissions or comissions on the part of the crew though.
The "trust me" issue is an excellent point. That is also often a common factor in the (all too frequent) out of air or almost OOA posts, trusting/expecting the DM to monitor your air etc.
***I am happy that you survived the mishap, also best of luck for a swift and total recovery.***

Well, I appreciate all your responses. Sorry I have been slow to respond. I have a lot to learn...

First, I wrote thank you letters to the captain and the company immediately after the event. The captain responded with glad you are doing better. I guess that's all I should expect. I tried to open the door for them to know I am not out to set up any type of lawwsuit. I wanted to communicate to them how they could have better responded in the emergency. They never responded. Perhaps, their lack of response led to my anger. Through your comments I am seeing another perspective. Thank you.

To the comment about how inconviencied the other divers were - you are right. But, the weather had been so bad that week the other passengers were thankful for a night back on the dock. No one had gotten much sleep. There was one person who had the goal of getting in 30 dives that week. We had to wait on some late arrivals before the boat even left Belize city, and then the bad weather limited where we could dive and then having to return to Belize City really messed that up for him. I did apologize to several of the passengers before I left the boat. I am truly sorry. But, I think the crew may have been feeling pressure to provide as many diving opportunities as they could and might have put us in risky waters.

One person asked if I was a reporter - no - a musician

Yes, I am a recreational diver. I have been on liveaboards before the Belize Aggressor - Blackbeards and Mike Ball's Spoilsport in Australia. I completed 192 dives over 14 years. I am 56 years old. Yes, I wore boots with my fins. I wore the ankle weights because my legs would float at the end of the dive. The ankle weights made the safety stop more comfortable. I wore 3mm shortie over a 3mm long john. By the way, the ankle weights are no longer in my possession. I hope they were thrown away, so no on else will ever use them.

I am currently in cardiac rehab. Echo and cath showed that my heart had been healthy before the dive with NO pre existing cardiac disease or blockages. The aspiration of sea water reduced the oygen to my heart. The lack of oxygen to the heart cause the heart attack. The heart attack was diagnosed by EKG and cardiac enzymes and confirmed with echo and cath tests. I am doing pretty well now and working to get stronger. I used to be able to sim 40 - 50 laps in the pool and not be short of breath. Now it's about 10 laps in the pool and I am exhausted. I'm working on that and will not dive until I am completely recovered. I sure hope that dive was not my last.

It appears that you all are misunderstanding. . .I am not seeking to shift blame. I clearly know it was my stupidity in not removing the ankle weights. BUT. . .the dive operator certainly could have lessed then impact of the whole situation with a few changes. I wrote the original post to share my learning (dump the ankle weights), to process what happened, maybe to vent a little, and to express concerns that here are things that the dive crew did and/or failed to do that added to the danger of the situation I was in.

To the writer who suggested removing this thread - that's ok with me. I just hope someone reading may learn from my situation. If you are a dive instructor or boat captain, share my story as an example of why not to wear ankle weights. But, please know I have learned from reading your posts.

I wanted to communicate to them how they could have better responded in the emergency.

BUT. . .the dive operator certainly could have lessed then impact of the whole situation with a few changes.

and to express concerns that here are things that the dive crew did and/or failed to do that added to the danger of the situation I was in.

Other than not allowing anyone to dive that day, what other things are you referring to?

First, I don't really see any problems with Wookie's post. OK, he's a bit "Frank", but we kind of expect that our Viking Warrior Captain! :D I would like Jan to clarify one thing in her second post:

BUT. . .the dive operator certainly could have lessed then impact of the whole situation with a few changes.
What changes do you think they should make? It's not that apparent to me.

As a final thought: It's YOUR dive to call. You can call a dive at any time and for any reason. No one is forcing you into the water and while it might not be suitable for you to dive in those conditions, there are many who would not have a problem. It's important to dive within your training, experience level and physical ability.

Oh yeah, welcome to ScubaBoard! You'll find a ton of people who care enough to tell you when they think you're wrong. You'll find we're friendly enough, but we put safety above all else.

It appears that you all are misunderstanding. . .I am not seeking to shift blame. I clearly know it was my stupidity in not removing the ankle weights. BUT. . .the dive operator certainly could have lessed then impact of the whole situation with a few changes. I wrote the original post to share my learning (dump the ankle weights), to process what happened, maybe to vent a little, and to express concerns that here are things that the dive crew did and/or failed to do that added to the danger of the situation I was in.

What changes have you suggested?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom