Dive Boat Etiquette on SoCal Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubainspired:
I noticed one big difference between boat diving in California and Mexico. In Mexico (or at least the dive operation I had experience with), they tell you to put on your fins at your seat. In California, etiquette asks that we put our fins on at the gate.

The DMs in Fiji sometimes try to tell you to donald duck it as well. On our boat in Fiji, everyone ignored the DMs statement and we all put on our fins at the gate. The DM looked somewhat bewildered at first, but he soon got used to it.

Great idea for a thread!

Snobordjon: I'm not sure what shop you dove with, but tips are not included in the price for the boat. I know my shop lets it's club members get a discount on boat trips, so if you aren't a club member then you get charged a little more. But that money goes to the shop - it doesn't get passed along to the crew.

In general, I leave at least a $20 for tips - especially for boats where they feed you as well. If it's a boat where they only provide air fills, I may tip a little less.

As far as other etiquette:

- Don't talk non-stop on your cell phone in the bunk room while people are trying to sleep. Go up on deck if it's that important. Some of those people who are sleeping are trying to avoid throwing up everywhere.

- It's been said before but let me re-emphasize: control your gear! That means putting your tank back in the same spot, clearing your fins from the gate, and keep your bag together. While we're on the subject...

- Buy a proper dive bag. Don't show up with a garbage bag, and don't haul your 50 gallon Tupperware bin onto the boat.

- Help out other divers when you can, and pay attention to the crew/DM. They're there to help you and keep you safe. They do appreciate help, but they also appreciate people who listen.

- Get your tank filled before you get to the boat. Bring your own tank and weights (most boats don't automatically provide them in So Cal). Make sure your gear works before we get to the island - preferably before you get to the boat.

- When role call is announced, get on deck ASAP. Don't make the crew drag you out. If no role call is done, feel free to ask for one. (Yeah, I know.... this is already in several other threads/boards.)

- Don't be afraid to politely request certain favorite dive locations from the captain/crew when you get on the boat. Also, don't be disappointed if you don't get to dive there that day.

- David

SNOBORDJON:
I have only been on a boat dive once for the bottom scratcher, but my understanding was that tip was included. Thats one of the reasons it costs 95$ per person.
Is it that different from being on a sport fishing boat?
People dont tip the deck hands for helping them gaff their fish. They do if they fillet it for them, but thats about it, and you tip the galley person for the lousy ham and cheese sandwich.
If this is how it is supposed to be, I guess I will do it, but I want to get more feedback first.
Just because somebody makes your 5$ latte at Starbucks doesn't mean they're entitled to a dollar for doing their job.

John

Mo2vation:
Although we're likely hijacking this thing a bit.

Yes we are. And I'm telling Mom....

Mo2vation:
Tipping is really intended to motivate entry level or service associates to deliver snappy, sterling service. They're the front line and their performance reflects on the organization that employs them.

I thought that's the employer's job. You know, stuff like pay and benefits and performance appraisals and training and awards and stuff.

Rock on Ken, I'm right behind you! I love leaving a really good tip and seeing that it makes someone's day.

mccabejc:
I thought that's the employer's job. You know, stuff like pay and benefits and performance appraisals and training and awards and stuff.

If motivation was my employer's job, I'd never be very motivated. :11:

I'm in sales and marketing - and I know when I perform, I get paid. When I over perform, I really get paid. My employer does little more than provide facilities for me to do what I do. Motivation is soley up to me. Always.

But we digress.

The eitire tipping culture has been designed and deployed to motivate personal and attentive service. Its not designed as employee compensation - and organizations have built it into their comp plans, and I believe that's just wrong. But the market will always dictate going wages - nothing else.

If someone was to step up and pay more to attract top talent, they'd attract top talent. Also, if there was a boat charging $250 for a day trip to Catalina, I'm confident the tank fillers would be the Hooters Girls, the food would be closer to Arnie Mortons than golden arches, and the bunks would be feather beds with 600 ct linens and not cracked vinyl over foam. But the market won't support such an endeavor in SoCal, so we have the swath from the Butt Scratcher to the Encore and all manner of boat in between.

---
Ken

Tipping in USA drives me nuts. Not because of the money, but because of these stupid unwritten rules. You'll go nuts trying to figure out when to tip.
You tip the restaurant waitress but not fast food waitress. You tip the pizza delivery guy, but not the furniture guy. You tip the car wash but not the laundry.

OK here is some general rule that I come up with:
1. Anything that deals with food, you need to tip. Except, when the dude is behind the counter and you have to walk to him to order. Unless if they have a tip jar off course.
2. Any non medical service that required touching you, you need to tip. Massage, haircut, manicure, lap dance. :eyebrow: .
3. Anything that deals with car, except sales or mechanic, you need to tip. Carwash, taxi, valet parking. Unless if the guy just sitting in a parking booth.
4. Anything fun, you need to tip. Tour guides, dive boats, fishing boats, sightseeing tour, lap dance.

ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!

In my country it's simple if the guy is making minimum wage and doing hard labor. Tip them !!!! In fancy restaurant and hotel, gratuity is already included in your bill.

Mo2vation:
Also, if there was a boat charging $250 for a day trip to Catalina, I'm confident the tank fillers would be the Hooters Girls, the food would be closer to Arnie Mortons than golden arches, and the bunks would be feather beds with 600 ct linens and not cracked vinyl over foam.
---
Ken

Aaahhh...Morton's Godiva Chocolate Cake....one of the top spots on the pleasure scale. I'd pay $250 for a day of diving and the cake...yep!!

A day of diving, cake (and not just ANY cake), Egyptian cotton and down....Nirvana!!!!!! Brings tears to my eyes

(I'm overlooking the Hooter's Girls remark)

Ann Marie:
Aaahhh...Morton's Godiva Chocolate Cake....one of the top spots on the pleasure scale. I'd pay $250 for a day of diving and the cake...yep!!

A day of diving, cake (and not just ANY cake), Egyptian cotton and down....Nirvana!!!!!! Brings tears to my eyes

(I'm overlooking the Hooter's Girls remark)

Count the gals on a boat, count the guys. When the ladies step up, you can have some hunky guys filling the tanks. Until then, bring on the orange. :wink:

BTW - I'm with you. Some finery would not go un-rewarded in LA diving boat circles.

---
Ken

jenazah:
2. Any non medical service that required touching you, you need to tip. Massage, haircut, manicure, lap dance. :eyebrow: .
3. Anything that deals with car, except sales or mechanic, you need to tip. Carwash, taxi, valet parking. Unless if the guy just sitting in a parking booth.
4. Anything fun, you need to tip. Tour guides, dive boats, fishing boats, sightseeing tour, lap dance.

Dude, wait until after I've eaten to post stuff like this. You ever have Coke snorted thru your nose when you're laughing? Painful.

Back
Top Bottom