Dive computers... SO many choices!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would put some solid faith in it. :)

That is our stated price and we are sticking to it.

I have one of my prototypes in hand. We are making some firmware changes, one of which is adding Buhlmann ZHL-16C as the primary decompression algorithm, so the unit will be capable of running either model by a user selectable function.

Here is a photo of the unit from less than 10 minutes ago!

yWXvHaialjn1rlQTQGcRJtPp-1Pcvc5h-X4hvYZFHGgQp1OFVdTIcisMb_mGiu7_qbGmG0Xc-NaTdhR1iYksXZwOJhutfTRrVNpGtO6DcCAClqYJD-eJIAGOYh_JVvpoMEXIF2mXWbjFOVR8VRQyLwucQrhcghMymox7kKcXXuHUxu9gJ4srKI3erXSQl9WH8xbqgKIv6-lAvbk42G18TnK_8XRxptPXNWzrahbkeIThrGuqD37Sl1lHBARYJpKXMp65ExYPEsfRHsCNWKpi1QaBm4n1502mS5rG7QXnAr1jifAxN_gcrqHcSa7aozYiBkb9gzjA1rWr2omXnjokM7M6Ic7CRcr2OxkvtsutR1qVJBVVUUgfyTS0IBKy_fx1dDbpVVya1R-knJA06-efzUFCGpNZZMFHe5e_Eay3HOHSpgOj-MZ8EQxCzYNAFQSq4SlUoiMLpUnn06xwrW6H7rG7j5dRbfu7bxa5DzPGUhcM8ks59xIKpevSFyFyU8qtdDEzZGC3mdbtaR8mu1yxdzyVXOAu3T7NgsvFnLnOX4_Cn1abzdLaX_Y8pwIeqrr6zdIMmFZvPr4l-tfbuFfWGvu52LL0pC_zTMejgZ-4XCGU3HMM=w785-h990-no

The addition of Buhlmann ZHL-16C might be a significant improvement, it will depend on how it is implemented. If it has GFs, that would be ideal. If it has reasonable presets, including one with a GF hi of 95, that would be good. If it is a proprietary version with unknown tweaks like Pelagic Pressure Systems PZ+ or the algorithm run by the Deepblu Cosmiq, that would be far less desirable.

We don't know how the RGBM algorithm will perform either. Many of us assume it will be conservative, similar to Suunto, Mares, or Cressi but the Atomic Aquatics version is considerably more liberal.

Regardless, if the computer has an acceptable decompression algorithm, the price is dazzling

What is the other algorithm you are using besides the "Buhlmann ZHL-16C"?

A customized bubble model.

Also, does the diver have to push a button to get the computer to turn the backlight on or is it on always?

User pushes and holds down one of the side buttons for 5 seconds, backlights comes on for 5 seconds.

Another question, is it wrist watch size or is it bigger so the ALL numbers and their respective labels are BIG?

It is puck sized, so the entire unit is like an 'oversized' watch, so while it is worn on the wrist it is not wrist watch sized. The image above is the unit on my forearm.

The addition of Buhlmann ZHL-16C might be a significant improvement, it will depend on how it is implemented. If it has GFs, that would be ideal. If it has reasonable presets, including one with a GF hi of 95, that would be good. If it is a proprietary version with unknown tweaks like Pelagic Pressure Systems PZ+ or the algorithm run by the Deepblu Cosmiq, that would be far less desirable.

It will have a user definable GF setting.... but on a side note, every ZHL-16C algorithm is sort of 'proprietary', because Buhlmann never created a/b coefficients for Helium for the B and C variants. So while we do have clearly defined numbers for the A, B, and C variants for Nitrogen, we do not have values for Helium, those are decided on by each manufacturer.

We don't know how the RGBM algorithm will perform either. Many of us assume it will be conservative, similar to Suunto, Mares, or Cressi but the Atomic Aquatics version is considerably more liberal.

I compared it to several other dive computers I have, and it seems to keep in line with most recreational computer deco profiles.

Regardless, if the computer has an acceptable decompression algorithm, the price is dazzling

Don't worry, its an acceptable algorithm. Thanks!

Last edited:
User pushes and holds down one of the side buttons for 5 seconds, backlights comes on for 5 seconds.

I would have to push and hold a button for 5 seconds before I could read it in the dark?? I definitely do not like that. Other computers you just press a button and the backlight comes on instantly. I wouldn't want to occupy both hands for 5 seconds just to be able to read my computer.

It will have a user definable GF setting.... but on a side note, every ZHL-16C algorithm is sort of 'proprietary', because Buhlmann never created a/b coefficients for Helium for the B and C variants. So while we do have clearly defined numbers for the A, B, and C variants for Nitrogen, we do not have values for Helium, those are decided on by each manufacturer.

Are you saying this computer will be Trimix-capable??

As a side note, it's a dang shame about your color scheme. I just happen to HATE the color orange for some reason. I won't buy anything with even a trace of orange on it unless I just absolutely have to. Color choices are nice. I saw that your regs come in 3 colors... except that they all have orange on them. So, from my perspective, that's not really what I would call giving me a color choice. To me, they're all orange, with 3 choices for the trim color.

I would have to push and hold a button for 5 seconds before I could read it in the dark?? I definitely do not like that. Other computers you just press a button and the backlight comes on instantly. I wouldn't want to occupy both hands for 5 seconds just to be able to read my computer.

The hold time will likely be decreased in the final firmware. Its a simple two button system, so the buttons have to have multiple functions.

Right now:
Quickly tap both buttons together for 'enter'
Left and Right go up/down through menus and numbers
Holding both down for 2 seconds is 'exit' or 'backup a level'
Hold either button for 5 seconds to activate the backlight

I could see shortening the time to get the backlight on 2-3 seconds.

Once the backlight is on it remains on while you are interacting with the computer.

Are you saying this computer will be Trimix-capable??

No, this computer will not be Trimix capable, that was in reference to how the Buhlmann model is interpreted these days because Buhlmann never actually finished the B and C variants.

As a side note, it's a dang shame about your color scheme. I just happen to HATE the color orange for some reason. I won't buy anything with even a trace of orange on it unless I just absolutely have to. Color choices are nice. I saw that your regs come in 3 colors... except that they all have orange on them. So, from my perspective, that's not really what I would call giving me a color choice. To me, they're all orange, with 3 choices for the trim color.

Sorry you don't like our color scheme..... if you saw my drysuit you really wouldn't like it. haha.

There isn't actually that much Orange on many of the products though, but if the Orange deters you I'm sorry to hear that. Right now we do make our fins in all black, and many of our products do have variants with minimal orange. You can order the drysuits in any color you wish as well.

Last edited:
as long as it's orange. :rofl3:
Or.. black, blue, grey, purple, yellow, red... it comes in many colors. lol

But lets not hijack the thread. haha.

Last edited:
What do you use for the uplink on the computer? While my leonardo ain't broken, Buhllmann + GF + that price tag sound sorely tempting. IR uplink is one of leonardo's features I don't like ("algorithm depth 40m" and no word on what happens if drop it to 41 is the other).

What do you use for the uplink on the computer?

USB cable adapter

And on the note of Gradient Factors, while we are implementing Buhlmann with GF we haven't decided how we are going to implement them yet on this computer being it is an entry level recreational single gas nitrox computer. It is likely we may choose to do a few preset GF settings (user selectable) and save user defined (full range) values for our next computer model.

Last edited:
USB cable adapter

And on the note of Gradient Factors, while we are implementing Buhlmann with GF we haven't decided how we are going to implement them yet on this computer being it is an entry level recreational single gas nitrox computer. It is likely we may choose to do a few preset GF settings (user selectable) and save user defined (full range) values for our next computer model.

An ORANGE USB cable, no doubt. LOL

I won't be buying any more computers that don't support trimix. But, what you've got coming out does look nice. I'll be watching out for your next one - hopefully with trimix capability.

Back
Top Bottom