Dive freedom == no wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to agree, the less you have on, the better it feels. I did some dives at Blue Heron Bridge in shorts, and it was magnificent. Most of the time I wear a loose lyrca skin (seen in my profile photo). Other times I wear a lavacore full suit. It's almost as comfortable as a skin, the only drawback is it holds a lot of water, so you have water dripping out of your bag after the dive. The lavacore is slightly less warm than a 3mm, (I think they compare it to 2mm neoprene).

I've been through a school of jellyfish in my lyrca skin. It protected me just fine from the jelly's. The only place I got hit was on my upper lip.

Slightly cooler water will call for a 3mm shorty under the lavacore, and cooler than that (say 70f or below) will be my drysuit. I hate my 7mm wetsuit, and since I got a drysuit it's been retired.

Being cold on a dive sucks, but so does diving with thick wetsuits all the time. I use the least exposure protection I can get away with for a dive.

I actually don't mind the wetsuit much, its the hood that bothers me.

Restricts your hearing, its tight. Im in NoCal with an attached hood, so the surface interval isn't fun either (I generally just open the front zip and have my head out of the wetsuit

So to me, no hood = freedom

Divers -- real divers really dive with out wet suits?

How novel !

I wonder when divers began using wet suits or dry suits ?
Or why they used dive skins ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chavodel8en:

Put your hood on ..make certain it is centered and comfortable
Mark where your ears are located --both sides

Remove the hood

Heat a nail read hot

Punch hole(s) in the hood
(Many SCUBA board members do not remove the hood -- but they are Tough and dive with out a wet suit)

sdm

Real diving freedom is to free dive with just short & homemade goggles like this kid in Alor, Indonesia.

image.jpeg

Or like his dad when he grows up like shown in this video:

Or like his dad when he grows up like shown in this video:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The horror of it all !

Can you Imagine ?

Diving not only with out a wet suit!
Using goggles instead of a mask !
A jab stick pole spear instead of a spear gun !

Diving to great depths with out a bubble machine !

OH! The horror of it all !

SDM

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-22_8-42-2.png
    upload_2016-9-22_8-42-2.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 30
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom