dive gear when flying low-cost airlines from Europe to SSH or Hurghada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parlem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

With Egypt Air and Turkish Airlines putting up their prices, I'm considering EasyJet, Pegasus and other low-cost carriers for my next dive trip to the Egyptian Red Sea.

In the past I'd always ruled them out because of the extra cost of checking in all my dive gear, which typically pushed up the price to pretty much what the flagship airlines were charging.

Do you find that is still the case? I'd appreciate any personal experience from European divers on this forum.

TIA.

Here are a few examples for additional dive luggage on top of your normal allowance:
Air Cairo FRA - RMF = 55 EUR for 1 piece with max 30 kg​
Condor FRA - HRG = 55 EUR for 1 piece with max 30 kg​
FlyEgypt FRA - SSH = 60 EUR for 1 piece with max 32 kg​
But have you seen the "promotion" by TK (5th point) that
Applicable until December 31, 2023 (inclusive): On all network departure flights arriving to Hurghada (HRG) and Sharm El Sheikh (SSH) and on all return flights from these destinations, your ticket's checked baggage allowance includes one set of diving equipment.

Easyjet FLEX ticket - gives you one check in bag (23kg) plus two carry on up to 15kg each - defined sizes but plenty for full kit between them (only GoPro) and loads of clothes, mozzie repellent, sunscreen etc for a 10 day trip. Also a few other benefits like extra leg seat or upfront free, first to board and in Gatwick use of their lounge (though that probably wont apply). https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/booking-and-check-in/our-routes-fares-and-products Okay, a bit "packed in" but not as if its really long flight(s) to Komodo.

TUI flights used to add 5kg for divers - not sure if that will be enough on top.

The difference between regular and FLEX is about 100 EUR one way. Maybe when you consider the others perks. And you will have EasyJet serving your route.

Thanks! Those prices are quite reasonable but, out of all the no-frills airlines, only RyanAir and EasyJet seem to fly to Egypt from Catalonia. The FLEX ticket is the one option I'd looked at, but it pushes up the price to a point where flying TK or EgyptAir seems better value: more legroom, luggage checked through to your final destination and generally better customer care (in my limited experience).

TK's special diver's allowance has been on offer for years now. We've enjoyed it on several trips going back to over a decade ago. I think they just keep pushing back the "applicable until" date on their website. It's well worth it, because it means you can check 2 bags: dive kit and regular luggage, which is great when you are travelling for an extended stay.

I get the comparison Easyjet etc to scheduled carrier. Only thing is that the "low cost" only tend to be low cost for the early bookings. The scheduled carriers don't tend to be as ruthless on the "fill from the from the front" pricing strategy' For me and son to Sharm in June from Luton it was just over £900 FLEX for both (£450 each) which think is okay. An earlier booking would have saved at least another £100 each off that

I get the comparison Easyjet etc to scheduled carrier. Only thing is that the "low cost" only tend to be low cost for the early bookings. The scheduled carriers don't tend to be as ruthless on the "fill from the from the front" pricing strategy' For me and son to Sharm in June from Luton it was just over £900 FLEX for both (£450 each) which think is okay. An earlier booking would have saved at least another £100 each off that
If flying form German or the UK I think you also get the added advantage of a direct flight, whereas in our case we would always have stopover in the UK or Italy. This is typically a self-transfer, too, so it means having to collect your luggage and check it again for the next flight, go through security again, etc, etc. A pain.

I normally fly to Hurghada twice a year from London with Easyjet. As already mentioned if you have the option of a large cabin bag (included with flexi fares, upfront seats, extra leg room seats or available to purchase) than you can carry up to 15kg in this bag - it used to be unlimited weight, but the 15kg limit was added last year. You can also carry a smaller cabin bag. I have a cabin bag that takes my wing and two sets of regs and fits within this allowance. I have never seen Easyjet actually weigh a cabin bag, although they occasionally do check the sizes.

I have also flown with TUI a few times. A very similar flight experience, however cabin baggage is limited to 10kg, with an extra 5kg of hold allowance for divers. So I normally go with Easyjet.

The downside with Easyjet is the prices are cheapest when first released and very quickly become very expensive. As an example I booked flights for October this year when they were first released and got them for around GBP150 return, they are now GBP430.

I did fly with Easyjet via Berlin once. I had had a TUI flight to Marsa Alam cancelled and via Berlin to Hurghada was the best option I could find. I had an evening flight from London to Berlin, then an overnight stay at the hotel at Berlin airport, and a morning flight to Hurghada. Worked out fine, and actually cheaper than direct with TUI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom