Dive log books...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just became certified this weekend, and was wondering how come all your diving history would be tied to that book which is easy to lose, can get wet and ruined... It's 2016, isn't there a certified online equivalent??
Yes, I would also ASSUME there are all sorts of online ways you could set up your own log book (like I was shown how to set up a financial spread sheet years ago). And you could then
"back up" your data, as they say, as many times as you want (YOU could, I probably would have to painfully be shown how). Or, my method--paper log book with each entry "old school" Xeroxed and put in the lead "fire box" along with passport, crucial documents, etc. Or, you could do BOTH electronic and paper! Depends on how safe you wanna be.

There are numerous electronical methods of recording dive data - but you Really cannot beat a simple, one-page-per-dive, paper logbook - and Enjay Marine in the UK has recently opened their website (www.enjaymarine.com), for online purchases of their (very popular), 200-page diving logbook. This has splash-proof soft covers, holds 200+ dives and is about A6 in size, so will easily squeeze into a pocket of your dive bag - though it would be wise to either wrap it in a ziploc bag or keep in a dry-type plastic box, along with your wallet, phone and other small stuff that you'd rather keep dry on the boat. And all for under $20, including international postage - bargain...!

I started over at #1, three times now. The only reason I started again, as it was years of diving between logs, was that I wanted a dive count higher than my daughter. I didn't really need a dive log for training because I'm old and been diving for ages, so the instructor took my word.

Back up the new one, it will happen again.

Bob

Or you could just not bother logging dives.
Yeah, but PADI told me to 11 years ago, so it's a required routine. Either way, lets keep this "yet another log" thread going!!!

carry on with log book #2.

we have never been asked to produce a log book. we have been asked
- how many dives do you have?
- when was you last dive?
and our verbal responses have always been good enough (any one can fake a paper logbook).

Lately the dive ops have been more interested in when our last dive was. one operator "suggests" a refresher if it was more than 1 year ago. they do not enforce this.

I rarely ask for dive logs. After looking a cert cards. I ask the group or diver questions during my pre-dive briefing. Sometimes, I ask questions, such (1) how much wt do you use, (2) any concerns or issues with equalization, (3) are you comfortable in current, (4) are you relaxed at 5 m with 50 bar if gas in your, tank, etc. I can get a feeling of the divers experience or how couples dive as buddies - or not ;-) during my listening session.

Orange flags might include, I can't remember how much weight I use, or it's been so long since my last dive, why is this important, or I have 20 dives and want to take photographs with my DSLR and Go-Pro. I also causally watch my group, setting up their kit, put on their wetsuits, and how buddies assist each other. I am sure that this topic has been discussed in detail on scubaboard.

Or you could just not bother logging dives.

I figure after I hit 5000 dives I might quit logging. At my current rate that'll be in about another six years or so ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I got 6 or 7 years to go to reach 1,000--IF I make it....I would be about 68. If so, I'll still log all dives since PADI said to do so when I took OW 11 years ago.....Plus, it's one of my many ROUTINES (as my wife would say....).

What does one do when one has been certified for 15 years, has about 70 dives and say 40 hours of bottom time and loses a log book over the years?
Start a new book. I'm currently on my third. I'd love to have it all with me when I'm out and about, but that's how it is. I have it all on my Android phone, though (not that that always helps; I don't carry that phone on a boat).

you could just not bother logging dives.
I enjoy looking through my old logs occasionally. They also contain data on weighting etc. with different gear configs; that sometimes comes in handy. YMMV, of course.

Learned how to dive in 1982. Filled up my original dive log and started to use my wife's. Got an Aeris XR1 in about 2006. They offered an on-line log that I started using. Can't remember exactly, but I think I had about 150 dives in it when Aeris decided they didn't want to support that data storage anymore - without warning.

Oh yeah, still have my original logs though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom