Dive Master vs Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I too hate to drop so much money into training but I liken it to going to college. I just registered for 2 classes for the summer session and it will cost me about a grand.

Neither of the 2 classes are directly related to my degree (how is art appreciation going to help me with nursing??:shakehead:). I guess you could make a connection between art appreciation and fish I.D. Identifying fish probably won't improve my diving skills but will make me a well-rounded person.

Actually Deep & Nav are not required for MSD. They are required dives for AOW though.

Just to clarify, yet again, they are required dives for the AOW cert, which is just five dives, not specialities...more like a taste of specialties as each of the five dives can be used as the first dive for those specific specialties. So again yes any five "specialties" for MSD. Also MSD is not a course, its an application. I suppose someone might offer a discount rate and call it an MSD course saying for this discounted price we will give you five specialities as opposed to paying individually for each specialty.

And to the guy who said by reading he thought it was a waste, don't. Its very cool accomplishment to have five distinct specialties, plus the 50 dives plus the rescue diver. A lot of people just have there OW, not saying they may not be able to have the knowledge of an experienced person, but you did take the opportunity to take some formal education and you are being recognized.

In reference to the OP, major difference and best summarized by whether you want to be in a teaching role or not.

The application for the MSD was $42US. It's just a few pages in which your instructor signs you off on.
I paid for each individual specialty (can't remember how much each cost).

[sarcastic mode on] The really cool part is that for $5US, PADI will send you a mesh bag with the words "Master Scuba Diver" embroidered on it and a certificate (worthy of framing) stating that you are a MSD. :rofl3: [/sarcastic mode]

The application for the MSD was $42US. It's just a few pages in which your instructor signs you off on.
I paid for each individual specialty (can't remember how much each cost).

Actually any Instructor can fill the form out for you, at that point they are just verifying that you meet the requirements.

Is that any instructor at the place where you completed your 5 specialties or can it be done elsewhere?

I'm assuming that if you took the specialties at different locations, the last instructor would verify the other specialties via your log book or by cards.

No just any instructor. The fact that you have five distinct specialties is seperate from the fact that you are becoming an MSD. You could have had your five specialties for three years and then just got your rescue diver, or hit 50 dives (thought I would think you would have this). Any instructor can sign off, since they can log in and verify that you have five specialties, which PADI will verify as well...really the instructor is only verifying that you have 50 logged dives. Heck send it to me and I will sign it, just send proof of your 50 logged dives too...i can look the rest up...

Got it! I forgot that PADI has the "picks" on their web site. I just mailed in my application for MSD along with copies of my temporary specialty cards.

What does it stand for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom