Dive Master vs Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, you are probably right, just miscommunication I think.

I have used PADI, SSI, TDI, ASSETT, all give good overall training. All have their bad points. They all ensure thay make money to stay in business. I just hope they keep their moral compass and not become too $ focused.

But especially the glaring fact that the vacation resorts that certify you in a half a day or even a day are unsurprisingly nearly all PADI - they love $.
My niece was certified by NAUI in Okinawa--one pool session two hours long and one OW dive to a maximum depth of 10 feet. A neighbor's daughter had almost the same experience in Taiwan with NAUI. We had a recent thread on ScubaBoard about a NAUI instructor teaching at a major university who does not even go into the water with the students--even on the very first pool session. It happens.There are instructors shorting the students all over the place, and if you think your agency is immune, you are deluded.

Yes, if you run into a resort that is shorting on the instruction it is mos likely to be PADI, but that just might be because most of the resorts are PADI. In fact, I don't recall running into a NAUI-based resort anywhere in the world, and I have been in more than a few places.

I do know some NAUI instructors, and they all do a good job. Believe it or not, though, they charge for their instruction, and they charge just as much or more than any other instructor for any other agency. I have also noticed that this sort of thing extends to other professions. My doctors, the local hardware store, electricians--these money grabbers all want me to pay them for their work. What nerve!

Master Diver is a way of extracting more money from you for a cert card that really means nothing.

I have one as I got sucked in too but its not worth anything at all. I would never recommend anyone to get one, put your money into diving.

Dive Master is entry level professional.

Dive, dive dive and get experience. Do the courses that add value or give you additional skills. Deep, Navigation/Night, Nitrox, Rescue and anything else that takes your fancy.

Just because one does a course and passes doesn't mean we are good at it, dive, dive, dive and use the skills. Repetition, practice and continual use in varying conditions helps create a better, more experienced and hopefully higher skilled diver.
I'm a master scuba diver now I do commercial diving the guy train me works for NASA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom