Dive Mishap off of Hawaii Kai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hadn't really decided where to go for the night dive. Maybe the South side. Maybe not at all.

Thanks for the advice. Glad I booked 2 boat trips with Island Divers before I realized that Oahu was not shore diving friendly for outsiders.

well, that is one operator.

sorry so late on this one, and to take you folks back a bit, I have about 137 dives and about fifty of them at china walls/portlock. It is a great dive and not a bad one, but it is important you do go with someone who knows how to get out. The exit is catching a wave out onto the wall. The best way is to take your gear off in the water, and hand it off to the first person out. It is not extremely difficult but still can be a little scary if you have never done something like that before. It is also important to know the tides there, you go at the wrong time and you will hate yourself on the way out.

I have never went diving off Portlock as a shore dive. I don't care to climb up a rope or get slammed against the rocks. Friends have done it plenty of times and say it is very tiring trying to get up if there isn't a big enough wave to catch. Just think of the pain you will receive if you miss the ledge with the wave. Not my idea of fun. I'll stick to the boat diving. If I can't access the shore dive from a beach, then I am not doing it (unless of course it is Lanai Lookout- which is a shore exit).

Thanks for the tip. That's a rally helpful piece of information

scubamickey:
I hadn't really decided where to go for the night dive. Maybe the South side. Maybe not at all.

Thanks for the advice. Glad I booked 2 boat trips with Island Divers before I realized that Oahu was not shore diving friendly for outsiders.

Understand that it isn't just outsiders. Locals get their vehicles broken into and stolen as well.

As an aside, one time I went brain dead prior to the dive and left my car door WIDE OPEN at Three Tables; not just unlocked but open. After the dive (a nice long dive - about an hour), when we got back to the car, it was still open and nothing was taken. Watched over by the dive gods that day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom