Dive Operations enforcing rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about this one..

The next trip a month later, I heard him talking in the school van on the ride down and he was telling another diver that the capt of this boat was not very good, because he lost him. I pretty much lost it ....It is a wonder we even let him dive with the club anymore. Some people are incapable of learning or following the rules.
I hope you gave him a good asswhooping?
Or atleast let everyone know that HE lost the captain (and everyone else) not the other way around..

The next trip a month later, I heard him talking in the school van on the ride down and he was telling another diver that the capt of this boat was not very good, because he lost him. I pretty much lost it ....It is a wonder we even let him dive with the club anymore. Some people are incapable of learning or following the rules.

Sounds like a recent thread about a diver getting himself (and buddy) lost on the Fling.

The resort where we met the guy who habitually ran out of gas had simply assigned him his own dive guide, to share gas with him and bring him up :eek:

Really? Someone should have torched his C-card....and sent him packing.

Some ops are a bit more laid back than others. I was on a boat once with a married couple who'd been diving since the '70's. They dived with gear they probably bought back then ... including regs with just one second stage. I don't think they even owned gauges, much less a dive computer. Their usual way of diving was to stay down until one of them ran out of air, then depending on depth either buddy breathe or CESA to the surface. The dive op was OK with it. Personally I think it's a stupid way to dive, but after nearly 40 years, they hadn't managed to injure themselves yet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Only if you're from Hudson County...

I checked the map. They probably got that way from diving in that county.

Some ops are a bit more laid back than others. I was on a boat once with a married couple who'd been diving since the '70's. They dived with gear they probably bought back then ... including regs with just one second stage. I don't think they even owned gauges, much less a dive computer. Their usual way of diving was to stay down until one of them ran out of air, then depending on depth either buddy breathe or CESA to the surface. The dive op was OK with it. Personally I think it's a stupid way to dive, but after nearly 40 years, they hadn't managed to injure themselves yet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If the dive op had J-valves they would have perfect day.

Even I have adapted to the new methods of diving, but that type of diving was used for some time before SPG's, and as long as you stay within NDL and have no issues with real buddy breathing or CSA, there is no emergency in the mind of the diver, it is just another method of diving.

Bob
-------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
I have seen divers who descended, ascended and did part of their dive with the DM holding their tank valve to stabilize their buoyancy. Shocks me how they were certified in the first place.
One dive we did in the Maldives ... at a popular cleaning station ... it was literally raining "divers". They were landing on the bottom tank-first, feet-first, head-first ... however gravity put them there. And once there, the dive guides were insistent that they grabbed ahold of something so they didn't wander off while everyone waited for the mantas to show up. It would've been funny if it weren't so pathetic. At one point I had some guy trying to crawl under me, while at the same time another diver who had just "fallen" down from above was trying to stand on me. Every time I'd try to get above this mess, a dive guide (not even one from our boat, mind you) would swim over, grab me by the arm, and push my hand back down onto a coral ... I assume because he was afraid I might drift away from this mob scene if I didn't hang onto something.

I couldn't end the dive fast enough, and made it clear to our guides that thereafter they'd better not touch me again unless I was obviously unconscious.

But generally a check out is to assign you to an appropriate buddy/group and dive site.
I was denied an entire day of diving in Roatan once because I showed up too late for the daily checkout dive (the resort's bus driver was late picking us up at the airport).

The next day the checkout dive consisted of a divemaster asking me to kneel on the bottom, clear my mask, and recover my reg ... :shocked2:

That's it :confused:... I gave up a whole day of diving so I could demonstrate skills I teach OW students on their first pool session ???

I was furious ... even moreso when, after doing the mask clear and reg recovery while hovering inches off the bottom in 3 feet of water, the DM asked me to do it again while kneeling so he could "make sure I was properly weighted" ... :idk:

Sometimes rules truly are stupid.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

On our boat we are very rigorous about run-time schedule. If you say you are going to be back on the boat in 50min... you need to be back on the boat - or at least on the hang-line - in 50min. If you are back in 55min, we are going to ask you why you were late. If you call that "making a fuss" so be it. If you are not back for 60min, we are going to send someone to look for you. 15min late? We may well call the Coast Guard. Then you'll really see "a fuss" made.

Now, I'm supposing you are talking about being 5min beyond a boat-imposed run-time. However, this is no different. If the boat says be back on board in 60min, and you agree to this (and by making the dive, you are agreeing to this) you need to be back on board in 60min. If you're late, you're late. Where does the boat draw the line in terms of "how late is late enough to make a fuss? 5min? 7min? 10min? 15min?

Plan your dive. Dive your plan.

I'm assuming your boat's policies are prominently displayed on your WWW site, with a checkable box where one acknowledges acceptance/agreement of said policies PRIOR to the point where payment is submitted ?

On our boat we are very rigorous about run-time schedule. If you say you are going to be back on the boat in 50min... you need to be back on the boat - or at least on the hang-line - in 50min.

Which is it? On the boat or on the hang line. On the hang line should not tempt anyone to do something stupid, from a safety standpoint, just to keep a somewhat arbitrary schedule. On the down line sounds better to me.

But, repeatedly demonstrating an inability to plan a dive and execute that plan should be viewed as a big problem; regardless of whether it is realy lack of ability or simply lack of respect for the rest of the folks on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom