Dive Operations enforcing rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving operators have rules for a reason. That reason may not be clear to you and some divers take the attitude that the rules no longer apply to them because they have this cert, or this brand of computer, or this number of dives. Boat etiquette is something quite different and are very much subject to change from operator to operator, region to region.

All the rules that I ask guests to obey are there for a reason. Some of those reasons are also promoted through agencies like PADI, some are regional (Maldivian Law) and some are local. It pretty much boils down to respect:

For people's lives,
For the health of the sea.

Some are hard and fast:

Depth limitations: Maldivian law is 30m max depth. We are not allowed to guide beneath 30m, divers choosing to dive below 30m are breaking the local law and the operator (me) will be the one to suffer when the ministry make their rounds checking rental computers, diving logs etc. Some divers more than others seem to have a problemski with this rule in particular.

Time limitations: All dives from the boat in the Maldives are drift dives. Some drift dives involve current and the proximity to open ocean. A 60min time limit is there so the boat can expect when divers will ascend. If there was no time limit people would potentially be popping up at random locations increasing the risk that the boat cannot see them. An inflated SMB at the surface is next to invisible when the sun is low. This is probably the second rule that divers don't understand, mainly IMO because they haven't thought about all the 'what ifs'. For example, how long should a diving boat wait before alerting the authorities of a missing diver(s)? 15mins? 30mins?

Diving in Fiordland, New Zealand
Fiordland-National-Park2.jpg

had a time limitation to the dives as we needed a certain amount of time to decompress before driving out (3000ft pass). Divers disobeying that time limitation would be forced to stay overnight at the one hostel in the marine park. If the hostel was full, the only other option was a very expensive taxi ride.

Touching the reef: Touching the reef is banned under Maldivian law. However, I personally have no problem with photographers for example, finger-pinching dead coral to steady their shot. Reef-crawlers will be held to account, warned once and if they do it again, I will refuse to give them a tank. Photographers the same- I don't care if you've got a $4000 rig; if you can't take a photo without degrading the reef, you will have to move further away. Some critters live inside small overhangs and are virtually impossible to get at without breaking something in the process. Let it be. I saw this once in a DC and it has stuck with me: "We will treat your camera the same way you treat our reef".

These are a couple of examples of the 'rules' for diving with us. Unfortunately, often time constraints in a busy DC make it impossible to explain the reasoning behind every rule. Right now we are not busy so I have the luxury of talking to guests and making sure that we are all on the same page.

Diving operators have rules for a reason. That reason may not be clear to you and some divers take the attitude that the rules no longer apply to them because they have this cert, or this brand of computer, or this number of dives. Boat etiquette is something quite different and are very much subject to change from operator to operator, region to region.

All the rules that I ask guests to obey are there for a reason. Some of those reasons are also promoted through agencies like PADI, some are regional (Maldivian Law) and some are local. It pretty much boils down to respect:

For people's lives,
For the health of the sea.

Some are hard and fast:

Depth limitations: Maldivian law is 30m max depth. We are not allowed to guide beneath 30m, divers choosing to dive below 30m are breaking the local law and the operator (me) will be the one to suffer when the ministry make their rounds checking rental computers, diving logs etc. Some divers more than others seem to have a problemski with this rule in particular.

Time limitations: All dives from the boat in the Maldives are drift dives. Some drift dives involve current and the proximity to open ocean. A 60min time limit is there so the boat can expect when divers will ascend. If there was no time limit people would potentially be popping up at random locations increasing the risk that the boat cannot see them. An inflated SMB at the surface is next to invisible when the sun is low. This is probably the second rule that divers don't understand, mainly IMO because they haven't thought about all the 'what ifs'. For example, how long should a diving boat wait before alerting the authorities of a missing diver(s)? 15mins? 30mins?

There are well founded rules and there are stupid rules.

A reasonable depth limit is to be expected.

A time limit is understandable,in some cases, but the enforcement needs to apply some common sense. Divers should not be expected to violate deco, ascent rates, or even rest stops to make the surface in 60 minutes rather than say 62 minutes. If that is what is going on, the op should expect to get a reputation and lose business over time. OTOH, a pattern of consistent violations probably needs to be dealt with. Same thing with something like a 500 psi rule. Generally, I will look for other options when I find ops that have a 500 psi rule. (As JD Wentworth says, "It's my gas and I want to use it now!") And if their reputation is rigid enforcement, my $$$ will goes elsewhere.

Rules are rules, whether we/I like them. I go to great care when choosing an operator based on how my wife and I like to dive, some times my choice may not have been optimal, but my personal attitude has mellowed - I'm on vacation and there to relax.

Of course, that is my attitude.

So far the only "rules" to have been enforced that I have encountered have been: time (usually no more than an hour, no biggie); pressure (someone already mentioned the boat in San Diego and the 500 rule - they were serious); and things like gloves and knives.

Bill

I observe dive operators, particularly day boat operators, to have conservative rules that are enforced, but I also observe them to be more flexible than you might think, if you speak to the captain or dive leader in advance. Share your credentials and purpose with them, and likely you can escape rules that are made for new and casual divers. I always carry a professional rating card and current insurance card with me, and have had operators have me sign a statement of responsibility for "my divers" which is usually just me and Debbie, but can sometimes be another couple as well. Then we do our own thing, but I do advise the crew of our planned profile and times and general direction of movement. For those not fortunate enough to have this option, following the rules is a good idea generally, and having rules that are not enforced is to have no rules at all. As to the 500 psi rule, the rule is to create a margin for error and for emergency. I have never sat a diver for a return with less than 500 psi unless it is a repeated offense. If a time limit is set, especially on a boat with a group, it is important, and just good manners, to follow the rule and not make other people wait on you or worry about you. If you want a waiver, talk to the dive boat crew, and this usually can be worked out. Be subtle, though, and clear, and if you don't get your way now and then, well, I still would follow the rules. One rule I always enforce is the buddy rule. Dive with a buddy, stay with your buddy, come up as a buddy pair.
DivemasterDennis

Most boats have very similar rules that are easy to follow.

• Depth (133' sometimes shallower)
  • PSI 500lbs or greater return pressure
  • Time (often 1 hour limit)
  • Use a computer or Bottom timer
  • Stay off the reef
  • Don't touch wildlife or coral
  • Gloves may not be permitted
  • Spearfishing may not be allowed
  • Don't collect Seashells
  • Knives may not be allowed

Some areas allow things like Venice Meg/shark teeth collection. Use your head as this is not difficult. :doh:

While wreck diving last year in NC the dive op gave very clear instructions...no deco dives and to keep it about an hour or less, use the anchor line on the way down and be safe. These dives were fairly deep so the time frame was not much of a problem for most people. Anyhow, one couple was on rebreathers and had not returned after an hour and 10 minutes. Well the mate went in and found them at 50' doing a deco stop. Now weather they were practicing boyancy or actually had a deco obligation I am not sure but I heard the Captain very sternly tell them if they break the rules again they are done, and his reason that he gave was if something happens to someone and they have to head back they will not leave with someone in the water and so if they are doing a deco obligation and someone needs medical attention not a good thing. All was well and the husband and wife dove the next two days. So I think it was great. and not to much to ask for.

I think that whetheran operator is strict about rule enforcement or not, if you as a diver go on a trip with an operator, then you are obligated to follow their rules. If you don't like those rules, use a different operator. There is no special dispensation because you are a diving god. I have read posts on ScubaBoard from people who brag about refusing to follow such rules, and I have no admiration for that attitude.

A number of years ago I went to Grand Cayman, and as soon as I arrived I went out with the dive operator stationed at our resort. On that dive we were all required to follow the DM in single file for a 35 minute dive. I did that. As soon as I was back in my room, I did the research I should have done before the trip and found an operator much more to my liking, located only a few miles away.

If you want to stage a rebellion, do it by looking for another operator, not by starting an insurrection during the dive. Better yet, do your research and make sure you will be going with an operator whose rules you can respect.

What rules have you found to be stupid?

500 psi with no common sense. Better rule: Don't run out of gas. OOA may end your diving.

No solo diving. That is why I have a solo certification.

Overly restrictive bottom times. e.g. 35 minutes for deep dives and 40 minutes for shallow dives. (Where I have run into this, it is somewhat understandable as the op ran a fairly tight schedule of 1-tank dives.)

As long as such rule are established before the contract is entered, I have no problem as I can accept or reject the offer. My problem is when such rules are first introduced after the contract is executed.

500 psi with no common sense. Better rule: Don't run out of gas. OOA may end your diving.

Overly restrictive bottom times. e.g. 35 minutes for deep dives and 40 minutes for shallow dives. (Where I have run into this, it is somewhat understandable as the op ran a fairly tight schedule of 1-tank dives.)

That sounds like a dive plan- not stupid rules.

No solo diving. That is why I have a solo certification.

Sounds a bit like you bought a weird and wonderful foreign car only to find that nobody can fix it. I have nothing against solo diving per se, but the operator may well do, and local law (for example Maldives) may forbid it.

As long as such rule are established before the contract is entered, I have no problem as I can accept or reject the offer. My problem is when such rules are first introduced after the contract is executed.

None of those rules sounds to me like anything out of the norm. I would suggest that as an individual who doesn't want to submit to the rules of the many, the onus is on you to establish what the diving rules are before you put your money down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom