Dive Pristine Reefs in Cuba with All Star Avalon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you meaning SCTLD ? There was a bleaching event everywhere in the Caribbean last October- doesn’t matter where in the Caribbean it was getting hit that was directly tied to the warm water temperatures.

The bleaching events are temporary because of the rise in water temperatures, but most of the time the corals can recover and get their colors back (can take months). However SCTLD is deadly to lots of types of coral and turns them white before they die.

Reason I ask is because bleaching is temporary and while the coral is suffering because of temp, it can recover as long as water temperatures go back down.

I was in Curacao and Bonaire in the same time frame as when you were in Cuba and the bleaching was the worst I personally had seen it before, but one of my friends in Curacao has said a lot of the coral there has recovered or is recovering because temperatures have dropped.

Bonaire and Curacao are also getting hit with SCTLD so during the bleaching event you would have the coral that was hit by that + bleaching so it was devastating looking.

I guess I’m saying what I’m saying because what you saw in October was everywhere in the Caribbean in late 2023 because of a bleaching event but a lot of it the coral will recover and go back to normal. This assumes the water temps don’t jump back up to 88f and stay there for months again.

Stay out of of Cuba...

🤬
Why, other than has already been said, above?

A couple of thoughts. First, the boat moving or not. The trip we were on, aboard Avalon III, had two anchorages, with dive sites radiating out from each. Because we were on the equivalent of a two-week trip, the boat moved from one to the other twice each. The two are only a few miles apart, but the sites were noticeably different. The big boat repositioned while we were diving, so we got long skiff rides each time to the new location. The mangroves in the Jardines are amazing, and have lots of life in them--birds, crocs if you're lucky, iguanas, etc. So for us, the quasi-stationary ship wasn't a drag.

Second, I think you're right about expectations, and in our experience, the Jardines are definitely sharkier, have a lot of variation in the topography, decent little stuff, and schooling snapper and porkfish, and you'll see goliaths on at least a few dives. We some deeper dives, to the limits of Nitrox, and saw excellent stands of black coral and colorful tube sponges. I have a set of pictures up which will give you some idea of what it was like.

Also, the Jardines are very remote. You're 50 or so miles offshore and are unlikely to see other divers, and only occasionally other boats. The remoteness is probably unique in the Caribbean.

Last, Cuba is huge, and fascinating. Havana is beautiful, although in a lot of social pain.

The advertised draw--"pristine corals"--you won't see unless there's been a lot of reperfusion of the corals (the water temperature was dropping while we were there), but there still is a lot going on. I wouldn'[t encourage you to write it off.
Very helpful post and the photos encourage me to go. Planning on May 4th! Thanks.

Very helpful post and the photos encourage me to go. Planning on May 4th! Thanks.
Have a great trip! The bleaching damage should be significantly mitigated. Do you know which boat you'll be on?

Have a great trip! The bleaching damage should be significantly mitigated. Do you know which boat you'll be on?
They haven't said which boat yet, but I don't think it's the larger one you were on. I'm traveling by myself and got a cabin to myself at no extra charge, so that's a good start. Will write something about it on my return. Fingers crossed the beached coral has recovered. My first liveaboard trip, though I have traveled extensively to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom