Dive rite power inflator service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Ruberg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
is there a repair manual or an exploded parts list for the Dive Rite power inflators. I need to strip and clean mine.
thanks,

https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/inflator.html

Not one of their dealers, but they're all generic anyway. Above is a video on how to clean it. They're pretty simple, but in the US at least you can get replacements for $15 so it usually isn't worth the hassle. In South Africa your situation may be different and since it is only a few o-rings it isn't the worst thing. Make sure you do a positive pressure test by orally inflating the wing and make sure it isn't leaking, then with an empty wing, connect to a power inflator and let it sit for an hour to make sure it isn't auto-inflating.

Thanks for the links. The inflate button is a bit spongy and I suspect it is a bit gummed up. I don't see instructions in how to dismantle the dump button, just the inflate. I must order a spare or two with my next order. We don't get these here in South Africa.

For the dump button removal, I gather it is a matter of loosening the hex headed bolt while holding the dump button from turning.

Can anyone tell me the o-ring sizes. It isn't rocket science to measure, but it would be nice to have the actual sizes. I did notice that the quick release fitting had some red thread stuff on it. Is this some kind of sealant?

Be very careful when holding the hex nut it's quite easy to score the case which results in the O ring no longer sealing, I found out the hard way, lesson learn't. Other than due care, it is relatively simple to overhaul the units, but at $14 for a replacement unit, assuming getting one isn't too difficult, just replacing is the easier option.

I did notice that the quick release fitting had some red thread stuff on it. Is this some kind of sealant?

Its a mild "thread-lock".

The inflator on my travel pac is leaking slightly slowly inflating the wing. My local dealer will only sell the complete inflator with hose as a replacement, which I think is too much to be honest.

I probably will the next time I place an order.

Hi,
is there a repair manual or an exploded parts list for the Dive Rite power inflators. I need to strip and clean mine.
thanks,

It's pretty simple to strip and clean a power inflator. The video on the DSS Website [video]https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/inflator.html[/video] includes details on how to service both the cartridge valve (the add valve) and the oral inflate / deflate valve. The Oral inflate deflate seldom generates much grief, and a failure of the oring on this portion of the inflator results in a slow leak of gas *out* of the wing when the inflator is held up. That's pretty trivial. A leaking / sticky cartridge valve can lead to a self inflating wing and that's a *bad* thing.

What I recommend is to visit your local friendly dive shop and inquire if they have any "takeoff" power inflators. Frequently shops with remove the conventional PI when they *Upgrade* a BC to an Air2 type combo octo inflator. That leaves them with a box of power inflators. If you can get a couple and remove the cartridge valves. Many, but not all, power inflators use the same cartridge valve.. Rebuild them if necessary. Lube them and seal them in little plastic bags and put them in your save a dive kit. It's *much* easier to spin out a complete cartridge valve and spin in a new one than to replace a power inflator. Replacing a power inflator requires dikes to cut the zip ties, replacement zip ties (use the good ones) and you have to "clock" the inflator on the end of the hose, meaning get the inflator oriented on the hose so it lays flat on your chest.

Spinning out a cartridge valve and screwing in a fresh one takes a few seconds.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom