Dive-Xtra Piranha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know if these use a brushless motor like the Cuda? I'm figuring no since, if it did, they would make it a point to put that in the specs sheet since it's a perk (and probably more justification for the price).

I know a couple people that have one... but I haven't seen it up close yet.

I see that you can get a cable that allows you to customize the speeds for each gear. I'm wondering how much you can lower the speed in the first few gears. If you can make it go as slow as the pool toy Sea Doo Explorer X. The people that have one said in first gear they blew the doors off an Explorer X in third gear. Impressive... but it also limits who can dive with you if you are leaving everyone else in your wake.

As I was told, the gearing is electronic, and can be customized. My understanding is that it is the Sierra motor, although KaizerWilhelm may correct me (his info is from the horse's mouth). Price as quoted to me was close to 5k. Oh, and you can stack battery slices to add burn time (and long run stability, too). I don't know if the batteries are legal on aircraft, but since the box has been optimized to get scooter, battery and box under 50 pounds, it sounds like it should be.

Does it have shaft seals? What's max thrust? Range at max thrust, at 150fpm, 180fpm, and 200fpm? And how many watthours are you burning with one to achieve those various ranges (i.e., how efficient is it)?

I'm assuming we're talking about the single battery unit so here are answers.

Answer #1. Yes shaft seals. Why? Because if they're installed correctly, they'll never fail. We've had 10 year old scooters come in with the original shaft seal that still holds vacuum. We didn't go with a magnetic coupling because the cost to the end user is so high. We didn't want to sell a $6500+ scooter as a base unit. $6500 is not base.

Answer #2. Max thrust with motor sits at 63lb currently. We're always tweaking our products so they can be the most powerful. Range at max thrust is 45min or 1.9miles. At 150fpm we're seeing minimum of 120min. Real life is 130-140min in tech set up. The other speeds I can't find but I will and answer.

Answer #3. Quoted numbers are of a battery at 385Wh. Each battery we sell now has a 417.5Wh battery. Oh and the batteries have a 2 year warranty.

---------- Post added January 7th, 2015 at 12:29 PM ----------

Their website says 120 min at cruise for each battery.

Are the battery flyable? That would be quite a bonus..

Due to IATA laws, the largest Lithium Ion Battery you can either check or carry on is 100Wh. The US FAA had a rule where they allowed up to 300Wh batteries when flying domestically in the US, hence the Genesis 600 and flyable Lithium. On 5th of February 2015 the US domestic law will be 100Wh like the rest of the world. You will no longer be able to fly with your Genesis 600 or any Lithium scooter for that matter. Battery News | Battery Technology News from PRBA | PRBA

---------- Post added January 7th, 2015 at 12:31 PM ----------

Does anyone know if these use a brushless motor like the Cuda? I'm figuring no since, if it did, they would make it a point to put that in the specs sheet since it's a perk (and probably more justification for the price).

All of our products have brushless motors. I've flood tested this scooter and it keeps going. In fact, we're still diving the flooded motor. Works like a charm. I didn't even have to rebuild it. I rinsed it with fresh water and kept going.

---------- Post added January 7th, 2015 at 12:34 PM ----------

As I was told, the gearing is electronic, and can be customized. My understanding is that it is the Sierra motor, although KaizerWilhelm may correct me (his info is from the horse's mouth). Price as quoted to me was close to 5k. Oh, and you can stack battery slices to add burn time (and long run stability, too). I don't know if the batteries are legal on aircraft, but since the box has been optimized to get scooter, battery and box under 50 pounds, it sounds like it should be.

Yes, gearing is electronic and fully programmable. It also tracks the health of the battery and motor so you can see any issues. We are currently using the Sierra motor however we are having custom motors built that will give the Piranha the power of a Cuda. I'm also diving one of the new motors and it provides just as much thrust and speed as a Cuda motor.

Last edited:
On 5th of February 2015 the US domestic law will be 100Wh like the rest of the world. You will no longer be able to fly with your Genesis 600 or any Lithium scooter for that matter.

Not exactly true. There is a special exemption that allows up to two 300Wh batteries, even with the new regulations. It is up to the individual airlines as to whether or not they will accept them and we are in the process of working with USDOT and various airlines for approval. We will post more when the details are ironed out.

Cheers,
Jon

How slow can the gearing/motor be made to go? Could it be programmed so the first 3 gears are close to those of an Explorer X?

With the new motor you go at 1% if you'd like that would be slower than baby kick speed. You could easily program to match an Explorer X.

I believe I know which special exemption Jon is talking about. We've also been working on that exemption and at the moment nothing is approved.

Just an idle question . . . if you can't fly the battery, why optimize the weight by removing the casters from the box? The wheel-less box is a PITA to move around :)

With the new motor you go at 1% if you'd like that would be slower than baby kick speed. You could easily program to match an Explorer X.

I believe I know which special exemption Jon is talking about. We've also been working on that exemption and at the moment nothing is approved.

Is mailing the battery to your destination hotel an option?

Is mailing the battery to your destination hotel an option?

Sure, just jump through the hoops and pay the $$$$ for "proper" hazmat shipping...which will cost more than a Genesis and take months to get approved :wink: Or wear gloves, a disguise, and pay cash, so that when your undeclared LiIon battery causes a cargo plane to fall out of the sky, it won't come back to bite you in the ass.

Sure, just jump through the hoops and pay the $$$$ for "proper" hazmat shipping...which will cost more than a Genesis and take months to get approved :wink: Or wear gloves, a disguise, and pay cash, so that when your undeclared LiIon battery causes a cargo plane to fall out of the sky, it won't come back to bite you in the ass.

Don't let ISIS know that's all they need to do to take down an airline. :wink:

Seems like they spaz more about batteries than transporting actual explosives. I can't get Amazon to ship rechargeable 18650 LiIon batteries out here for my divelights... but FedEx has no problem flying them directly from China.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom