Dive-Xtra Piranha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the batteries are Lithium Ion I'm wondering what them life expectancy is on them.
I've owned a lot of electronic devices that use Li-Ion and have noticed when they go, they go fast. Some last a year, some more.
Given the price of the battery seems to be about half the cost of the scooter I don't want have to buy a new one a year later.
I've had NIMH scooter batteries last at least several years.
Is there an estimate life on these?

The batteries are warrantied for 2 years (longest DPV battery warranty on the market) so if the battery dies or the capacity drops below 70% in that time, we'll replace it. We're expecting the batteries to last far longer than NiMH batteries. NiMH batteries have a usable life of about 2-4 years. Our new Li-Ion have an expected usable life of 7+. The advancement in Li-Ion tech in the last few years has been amazing. We're expecting the batteries to only get more reliable with every passing year. You shouldn't have to worry about the batteries and their reliability.

I've spent the past few days using a few different DPVs to include the P-1. I'm impressed with it! It's very light weight, and the same speed as my Cudas. It seems very similar to the Cuda400's burn time, but much lighter weight.
I better keep my wife away from the P-1....I am certain she would ask me to sell a Cuda and get a P-1 if she tried one.

What motor is in the current P-1? The Sierra motor, or the new one that was mentioned earlier in this thread?

The batteries are warrantied for 2 years (longest DPV battery warranty on the market) so if the battery dies or the capacity drops below 70% in that time, we'll replace it. We're expecting the batteries to last far longer than NiMH batteries. NiMH batteries have a usable life of about 2-4 years. Our new Li-Ion have an expected usable life of 7+. The advancement in Li-Ion tech in the last few years has been amazing. We're expecting the batteries to only get more reliable with every passing year. You shouldn't have to worry about the batteries and their reliability.

I'm very curious about this. Lithium batteries always had a shorter life (fewer cycles) than NiMH. Other than that retaining clip we popped in at BTS, my NiMH Cuda battery has been going strong for several years. Longevity and lower cost were the big advantages of NiMH. If lithiums have caught up on one of those criteria, that would be a game changer.

I'm very curious about this. Lithium batteries always had a shorter life (fewer cycles) than NiMH. Other than that retaining clip we popped in at BTS, my NiMH Cuda battery has been going strong for several years. Longevity and lower cost were the big advantages of NiMH. If lithiums have caught up on one of those criteria, that would be a game changer.

Pack design and charger is key. We have many Li-Ion packs that are still running well after 5-6 years.

I am still using sn 001 Li-Ion pack in my own Sierra. Last time I tested it, IIRC about a year ago it tested at over 90% of original capacity.

Tobin

I got my Dive-Xtras Piranha P1 two days ago and took it out for its first dive yesterday.

What I think of it...
The first dive was more of an orientation. Diving with a Sea-Do Explorer-X [pool toy] in no way prepared me for this little beast.

(1) This thing is a rocket... amazing considering its size. It was like going from a Ford Fiesta to a Porsche 911.
(2) Despite warnings from my dive buddy, my 1.5" crotch strap was brutally inadequate. The scooter has so much pull it was squashing my junk. I could see my dive buddy laughing in her reg watching me using my free hand to relieve some of the pull on my strap. I need to get a bigger crotch strap and/or rig up a 3-point crotch strap.
(3) Covered a lot of ground on the dive, but also burned through a lot of gas. I remember when I started out on a Sea-Doo having the same problem. Just a lot going on at once so I know my heart rate was up. I have no doubt that'll change after a few dives.
(4) I can see with something this powerful ascending a little too fast so I was deliberately watching my computer on the first run.
(5) Trigger was easy enough to get used to once I figured out the timing of it.
(6) Love the size and weight... so easy to walk in with it and it's perfectly neutral so it didn't sink to the bottom while I was putting my fins and mask on.

Overall it was great to finally get out again on a DPV, but not have to worry about flooding or running out of power like I did with my POS pool toys.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom