Dive-Xtra Piranha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Switched my gears to start in first instead of third and dropped 1st down from 25% to 12.5% to accommodate the eople I dive with who use "pool toys". So far it's been awesome.

Much better. Got a second one this week. Thought I tested after the battery showed charged and before closing it up.... got it in the water and nothing. Got it home and swapped the batteries... the new one powers my first P1, but the new P1 will not run on either battery. Not sure what the deal is. Also noticed there's been moisture in my first P1 motor compartment. It doesn't have any indication that it flooded (no pooling/standing water, no salt water residue, but the motor gear has some rust. The motors are also different between the two scooters... I have serial # 50 and 58. Did they recently swap to a newer (better?) motor? Anyway.. sent Will an email but they're closed for the holiday weekend. I guess I"ll find out what to do next week.

Much better. Got a second one this week. Thought I tested after the battery showed charged and before closing it up.... got it in the water and nothing. Got it home and swapped the batteries... the new one powers my first P1, but the new P1 will not run on either battery. Not sure what the deal is. Also noticed there's been moisture in my first P1 motor compartment. It doesn't have any indication that it flooded (no pooling/standing water, no salt water residue, but the motor gear has some rust. The motors are also different between the two scooters... I have serial # 50 and 58. Did they recently swap to a newer (better?) motor? Anyway.. sent Will an email but they're closed for the holiday weekend. I guess I"ll find out what to do next week.

Check the easy stuff first. I assume there is fuse on the battery…….

Tobin

Hey everyone, new P1 owner here just saying hello!!

Will take it out for a spin for some boat diving this Sunday and Monday (Thanksgiving weekend upcoming here in Canada) - looking forward to some fun... but really bought it for less swimming on some local shore diving sites. :)

HI Everyone!! Here is a copy/paste from my Facebook post of my first four dives with the new P1 and a photo taken of me by a friend that was on the wreck at the same time as me - yahoooo so cool that I got a pic of me with my DPV for it's first dive!!!

Wonderful Thanksgiving weekend testing out my P1 Piranha DPV for four dives aboard the Topline - saw all my favourite critters from my tattoo!! An octo, a decorated warbonnet, and even a wolf eel (my FIRST EVER in Howe Sound in fact)... also saw a red irish lord, giant dendrenoids eating anemones, some lovely white jellyfish (not moon jellies) with pretty trails and little wee bugs on them, juvenile rockfish, giant lingcod, and plenty of the regulars. The vis was spectacular and Sunday weather was lovely... not so good today, but one out of two is good!

Yesterday we dove the Annapolis and the North Side of Pam Rocks. Having the DPV was very handy as I raced on ahead of everyone else and made a few tucks into the ship to check things out when I knew no other divers were going to come near to silt me out. Had a swim into the engine room to check that out and really loved having the whole ship to myself, so peaceful and I felt a bit awestruck. Saw the toilets, dresser drawers piled up, lots of cool things I didn't see on my last dive. Loved solo diving with my DPV on the Annapolis, took about a half hour before I started seeing the other divers show up and at that point I started doing circles... wheeeeeeee the fun of a new toy!!! lol Passed by Mazyar with his WA lens and he snapped a pic... hopefully I can get that from him (even if he says it's not good, my 1st DPV dive, for the memory banks), tracked him down through Marc (asked who was on his boat with the WA lens as it wasn't someone on the Topline today)... if I had known it was Maz at the time, I would have stopped to pose!!!

Today (Monday) we dove the undiscovered sites of a pinnacle near Centre Bay on Gambier Island and the East side of Hut Island. Really LOVED the 1st dive today, the pinnacle one it was lovely, the topography was stunning and seeing a wolf eel was such a treat. I thought for sure it was going to be an octo under that rock but low and behold... couldn't believe it. She loved the sound of my scooter, kept coming out a little farther whenever I gave it some juice, but if I got too close, she'd tuck back in under the rock. I ran down my NDL and then had to leave her and say goodbye (she was at 85 ft).
The verdict though... definitely worth the $$$ absolutely loved not having to kick, I can get used to this. Apparently there was some current on the 2nd dive yesterday... I couldn't feel it... hehehe actually I could, I turned the DPV off several times to look at things, but yeah, being able to go wherever you want, back and forth (I went back to visit the decorated warbonnet for the end of my dive after spotting it at the beginning part and it was no effort obviously). Super fun, yes... I am going to enjoy this new toy. Can't wait to take it to Whytecliff, my favourite pinnacle there that I have only finned out to twice (sooooo far) and to Porteau the Nakaya, not to mention Tuwanek. Well for once... no pictures to show for this dive report, guess you'll just have to take my word for all the spottings, but I always say no pics I didn't happen... so maybe it was all just a perfect dream.

PS - forgot to mention, Sunday had some delays. Drop line got caught in the prop before 1st dive so had to be freed and upon our return to the dock had to wait for log clearing otherwise could have walked across them there were so many lol, nothing that couldn't be handled by the experts though

Attachments

• DPV.jpg
    DPV.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 350
HI Everyone!! Here is a copy/paste from my Facebook post of my first four dives with the new P1 and a photo taken of me by a friend that was on the wreck at the same time as me - yahoooo so cool that I got a pic of me with my DPV for it's first dive!!!

Looks like you got the new nose. LUCKY!!! What serial number do you have?

I doooooooo have the new nose, saw pics of the old one so the new one is pretty fantastic compared IMO. Lovely little sturdy handle. I still attached a giant clip on a paracord rope I made which I am finding fantastic to use but it makes carrying the DPV very easy with the handle.

As for the serial, the DPV is packed in my truck down in my parkade, I am leaving for Vancouver Island today (I live on the Mainland) and I am going to be making my way to Port Hardy, BC (cold water diving spectacular!!!) for the next week. However, I have last year's model, I bought a DEMO off of the guys as I live somewhat local to Dive Xtra (they are about a two hour drive from where I live across the border, Canada to USA) and so they swapped out the motor, nose (with the handle), and some other parts to bring it up to current. It seems to be running great, but wouldn't have anything to compare it to anyway since I've only rode a Sierra and some pool toys. I do love how small and light it is. Need to figure out though how to change what gear it starts up in in order to conserve battery life... I believe it's starting in the fastest on me, but enjoying it for now as just doing boat dives, if it dies, I can carry it around with me and then surface. Will need to figure out the gear thing before I take it shore diving when I return home from my vacation.

Here's my lovely nose, clip and paracord handle I made. :)

nose.jpg

I doooooooo have the new nose, saw pics of the old one so the new one is pretty fantastic compared IMO.
Will need to figure out the gear thing before I take it shore diving when I return home from my vacation.

NO FAIR!!! :wink: I want one. I thought for sure I was going to have one on my second P1. At least I got the newer motor.

For changing the gearing you need the Programming Interface cable.
You can get it here (from Dive-X) or here (from Amazon for about 1/2 the price)

You need a PC to run it. The instructions are on the Dive-X site.

I reset mine to turn on in sequential order. It normally started in 3rd and if you want to go slower you need to down-shift. It shouldn't be starting in the fastest gear (8th). I reset the speeds for my first two gears so my dive buddies with pool toys can keep up. :)

Back
Top Bottom