Divemasters in Cozumel (and specifically with Dressel Divers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You many want to look for a smaller dive op that can pick you up at the pier. The small ops provide a more personal service and usually take less divers per divemaster. Dive operators with great reviews and service are Blue Note Scuba, Scuba XOC, Cozudive, Ocean Nomads
They also offer more flexibility in the choice of dive sites; most get a consensus from the divers aboard. Blue Angel is another great dive op that will pick you up at the Iberostar.

It's important to follow the rules of the boat (their boat, their rules). That said...in my experience there are many interpretations of the function of dive guides in the marine park. I prefer valet, "dive your tank" shops where once you demonstrate that you are a competent, "no drama" diver, you're given a high degree of autonomy to dive your dive. In this instance the guides are there to protect the park and enhance your experience; not herd large numbers of divers. It's the closest thing to "dive freedom" I've found on a rec day-boat, and one of the main reasons I keep returning (aside from awesome topography, good food, and the dive friends I've made over the years :) ). It's not for everybody and you may not find it on a one-off dive trip. One of the great things about Coz is there's a dive experience for everybody.

DD is not bad and they have some good local DMs in addition to foreign DMs that speak many European languages to cater to those guests. A lot of their local DMs are hard core cave divers. Dont confuse the DMs with crowded boats during spring break. There is way more personal space on a DD boat, even when crowded, than say Tres Pelicanos. I dive with both so yes I can say that.

That being said, if you want to stay at Iberostar, and you think the boats don't fit your needs, dive with a smaller OP and have them pick you up. I travel with my family and non-divers and we like Iberostar. But I dive with Tres Pelicanos who picks me up at the shore and stores my gear for the week.

Just imagine how short that boat ride is :)

But I dive with Tres Pelicanos who picks me up at the shore and stores my gear for the week.

Just imagine how short that boat ride is :)
I dove with Tres Pelicanos and had a good time. I will say, though, that the dive briefings were, well, very brief. "Ok, this is [site name]. We'll go down to 80, 90, maybe 100 feet. Ok, let's go!"

As a more experienced diver amongst other experienced divers (all or most of whom were single divers not part of a group), I didn't mind. But if you are looking for more of a hand-holding experience I'm not sure I'd recommend 3P. Maybe it's different if they know you are less experienced? One thing that was great is that the captain and DM always asked us what sites we wanted to hit.

Ehhh, 3P's or any valet dive shop will take care of you. Sometimes briefings get short because the people on the boat have 100's of dives with the DM.

Tell them what level of care you want, that is what being valet is all about - it can be anything from hand holding 20 minute briefings to hey we're here kind of thing and there's no shame or nothing wrong with any level. Go have fun!!

Ehhh, 3P's or any valet dive shop will take care of you. Sometimes briefings get short because the people on the boat have 100's of dives with the DM.

Tell them what level of care you want, that is what being valet is all about - it can be anything from hand holding 20 minute briefings to hey we're here kind of thing and there's no shame or nothing wrong with any level. Go have fun!!

Very true and there can be significant advantages to this both for experienced and inexperienced. Most people that dive with an op like 3P want nothing to do DMs under water. They are experienced and want to do their own thing. If the whole rest of the boat does that you suddenly have the DM to yourself. Tell them you are new or nervous or this is a life time trip to see a toadfish.

Very true and there can be significant advantages to this both for experienced and inexperienced. Most people that dive with an op like 3P want nothing to do DMs under water. They are experienced and want to do their own thing. If the whole rest of the boat does that you suddenly have the DM to yourself. Tell them you are new or nervous or this is a life time trip to see a toadfish.
My wife and I are somewhere in the middle. We don't stick like glue to the DM but we usually try to keep him (they are usually male) in sight - unless we are diving Colombia Shallows when there is no current. We once had a DM stay on the boat at CS who told us, "You are all good divers; have fun and I'll see you in an hour or so." I won't name him but it was someone many of us know.

I love when the pre dive briefing is 30 seconds or less. Once the DM sees that everyone knows the drill, there's little to say in most cases. When a DM starts to go through all of the critters we might see, my wife looks over at me with a smile because she knows I grow quite weary of DMs doing this. If there's something specific and/or rare the DM hopes to see and wants to give us the sign for it/or even just tell us that's what they'll be looking for in a specific spot, that's great, but otherwise there's just no need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom